By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why can't some Christians accept Evolution?

MrBubbles said:
plenty of christians believe in evolution and the big bang theory.

Thank you MrBubbles, you saved me from flaming this dumbass.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
MrBubbles said:

Thank you MrBubbles, you saved me from flaming this dumbass.

lol, seriously tho stop feeding the troll people

I don't see why the two are at odds other than that some Christians choose to make it so.

Evolution may well be the "how" and not the "why" an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent creater could feasibly work.

Natural selection, genetic adaptability and genetic code itself sounds like a pretty "intelligent design" to this guy at any rate. I'd go so far as to call it elegant design.

As for the Big Bang Theory, beyond being a highly entertaining show, sounds just like it came straight off the first page of the Book of Genesis, "Let there be light."

Most feasible reason to quote the bible rather than scientific research; it's a lot easier (one condensed book) and it only rarely changes.

If you're not the type who likes to question, why wouldn't you want one book that provided you with all the answers you'd ever want?

otislotus said:

"We don't know how life got started but we think over millions, even billions of years, some chemical or physical mechanism managed to produce self-replicating molecules and, eventually, the first single-celled organisms."

We think , we don't know.  Their is no factual proof for either.  Christians at least admittedly take what they think they know or feel as an act of faith.  Thomas edison was quoted as saying that the accumulative knowledge of all mankind is less than 1/10th of 1%. given what we have learned since then assuming all our knowledge equals an incredible 1% of all knowledge in the universe isn't it possible that in the 99% we don't know that their is evidence of a creator?  given how little we do know isn't it ignorant to assume that you know something and act pompous and take a holier-than-thou attitude on a subject that has no factual proof one way or the other?

It says "we don't know".  We admit we don't know and therefore shouldn't make unbased claims until we do know.

Stopped reading after that, sorry.

thranx said:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theory

Definition of THEORY

: the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
: abstract thought : speculation
: the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art theory>
a : a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action theory that all children want to learn> b : an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances —often used in the phrase in theory theory, we have always advocated freedom for all>
: a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena theory of light>
a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation b : an unproved assumption : conjecture c : a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of equations>
So what part of what i said does not fall under those defintitons?
It is still just a theory. It proves some aspects of how some creautires came to be. It is not a fact of how humans came to be and can not be proved as such. So its a "theory" with all that implies. Do not try to make it more than it to be. We were talking on the evolution of humans, not on if evolution occurs or is possible. So please exaplin to me how the theory of human evoluiton is somehow a proven fact, and not a combination of ideas thought to be true but not proven so.

Explain to me how theory of gravity is unproven.

Explain to me how the theory of relativity is just a theory.

Explain how theory of flight implies anything more than the concrete facts of flight.

Around the Network

greenmedic88 said:

Natural selection, genetic adaptability and genetic code itself sounds like a pretty "intelligent design" to this guy at any rate. I'd go so far as to call it elegant design.

But the thing is, a lot of things are really stupid "designed". And things like natural selection are a rule, not a law. This means mistakes can happen, nothing a perfect being would make.

Brainslug said:
spurgeonryan said:
MrBubbles said:

Come on now! Most kids growing up in a religous home get taught many things, one of them is that Evolution is wrong!

I am sure there are some Christians who believe that, but I assure you a majority refuse to!

You can't honestly think that -- Christianity is the largest religion in the world with 2.1 BILLION people (Source)

Why aren't there 2.1 Billion people out there (One third of the entire planet's population) protesting evolution?

Because the overwhealming majority of them believe and trust in science. It's a small fringe group who doesn't -- but that small group is LOUD. The loud, very vocal minority of every group always make the rest of a group look bad.

That logic makes no sense.  Just because you don't believe in something it doesn't mean you go out and protest it.  Most people have better things to do than spending hours and days on the street protesting something they don't believe in.  I don't believe in a lot of things, including protesting things that are never going to change.  I've never once gone out and participated in any type of protest demonstrations.  I really honestly don't see the point.  Everyone is free to believe in what they want to believe.  I don't see why people get so upset or offended if someone else has a different belief system than they do.  

yinkadare said:

That logic makes no sense.  Just because you don't believe in something it doesn't mean you go out and protest it.  Most people have better things to do than spending hours and days on the street protesting something they don't believe in.  I don't believe in a lot of things, including protesting things that are never going to change.  I've never once gone out and participated in any type of protest demonstrations.  I really honestly don't see the point.  Everyone is free to believe in what they want to believe.  I don't see why people get so upset or offended if someone else has a different belief system than they do.  

Protest means to disagree. That's why it's called "protesting in the _____". "Protesters took to the streets", "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Raido said:

greenmedic88 said:

But the thing is, a lot of things are really stupid "designed". And things like natural selection are a rule, not a law. This means mistakes can happen, nothing a perfect being would make.

Then I guess that would mean either even God's not perfect which would drop the infallibility argument, or it would mean God's not responsible for the creation of all species unless it was God's explicit will for "stupidly designed" things to exist. 

theprof00 said:
yinkadare said:

Protest means to disagree. That's why it's called "protesting in the _____". "Protesters took to the streets", "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Yes, I know what the word means, but the poster I was quoting clearly said why aren't 2.1 billion Christians "out there" protesting Evolution.  So he's talking about public demonstrations of protesting.