By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why can't some Christians accept Evolution?

Because its not in the bible. And the bible is true because it says so in the bible. Problem? (Insert trollface).

Around the Network

plenty of christians believe in evolution and the big bang theory.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Because most of them are uneducated.

Evolution contradicts Adam & Eve.

If evolution is a fact that means no Adam & Eve, no Adam & Eve means no original sin, no original sin means no need for the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.

The evidence that supports evolution also contradicts Noahs ark and the world being under 10,000 years old.

Edit: This is from the point of view of a christian who literally beleives in the creation story, I know plenty of christians see it as mostly metaphoric and believe in evolution and the big bang.

for the "core" Christians it would require admitting that the bible is not infallible which is a belief they want to hold onto.

Around the Network

spurgeonryan said:

Why can't Christian's accept Evolution?

Actually, I think mostly all Christians in the western world do accept evolution. The Catholic Church also officially accepts evolution.

The Christians who do not accept evolution, don't accept it for the same reason that any non-Christian who don't believe evolution wouldn't accept it - it is a matter of not being educated about evolution. I would say that nearly 100% of (if not all) liberal Christians accept evolution - I also think that the majority of Christians in the western world are liberal Christians.

I also feel that the atheist perception that all Christians don't accept evolution is a product of neo-atheist prejudice/ignorance.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

spurgeonryan said:
MrBubbles said:

Come on now! Most kids growing up in a religous home get taught many things, one of them is that Evolution is wrong!

I am sure there are some Christians who believe that, but I assure you a majority refuse to!

spurgeonryan said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Evolution contradicts Adam & Eve.

If evolution is a fact that means no Adam & Eve, no Adam & Eve means no original sin, no original sin means no need for the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.

The evidence that supports evolution also contradicts Noahs ark and the world being under 10,000 years old.

(1)Well when you get down to that I think most would agree there was some sort of flood. Whether you believe the discovery channel documentary saying it was localized in an area hit by a volcanic eruption or if you believe all the countless folk legends and the Bible talking about a flood.

(2)I think you could also say that God/gods do not go and say normal time. To them a day could be years I think. The time before the flood the world had become sinful (evil). How long could it all really have been around before even the flood happened?

(3)I think they would accept it easier or more willingly if it was not just jammed down their throats so much or so hard! Ease them into it with present day evidence. Like the shark story that I brought up. They see the Cave Man stuff, Apes, billions of years, etc and it scares them away. That is all too much to digest in one setting. Hey Religious person, ummm.. the planet is like a billion years old, you come from apes, birds from dinosaurs, there was a big bang from nothing without no ones help, and everything that happened on this planet happened from mere happenstance.

Now turn all that around (saying they had evidence) and see if you just take everything they say and accept it.

(1) It was definitely a large but local flood if there was one, but a few christians beleive the story literally happened exactly like that (minority, I know), so that's just another possible reason they may have rejected evolution. But we know for a fact there has never been anything close to a global flood. The reason why a lot of these myths get passed on is not because it happened and many cultures experienced it, it's because of plagiarism, Noahs ark is just another example of this type of plagiarism.

(2) Sure, you could say that, but I was just speaking from the point of view of someone rejecting evolution, and reasons why. I was assuming this person took the 6 days literally, and believed the bibles dates.

(3) I don't know where you live or what experiences you've had being taught evolution, but I've never seen it being jammed down anyones throats so I can't really speak to that. 

Oh ok I get what you're saying, but that would be stating claims and not presenting evidence. See we have very reliable evidence for all that you said there, now if we could explain what evidence to people who aren't scientifically literate (me and you), people would believe it. This has been done plenty of times, Carl Sagen is perfect at it. 

I was told of some dude who's preacher told him that dinosaurs didn't exist and that what they had in museums were made of plastic and that is why they don't let you touch them plastic dinosaurs.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

spurgeonryan said:
MrBubbles said:

Come on now! Most kids growing up in a religous home get taught many things, one of them is that Evolution is wrong!

I am sure there are some Christians who believe that, but I assure you a majority refuse to!

You can't honestly think that -- Christianity is the largest religion in the world with 2.1 BILLION people (Source)

Why aren't there 2.1 Billion people out there (One third of the entire planet's population) protesting evolution?

Because the overwhealming majority of them believe and trust in science. It's a small fringe group who doesn't -- but that small group is LOUD. The loud, very vocal minority of every group always make the rest of a group look bad.