By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why can't some Christians accept Evolution?

Heavenly_King said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Evolution contradicts Adam & Eve.

If evolution is a fact that means no Adam & Eve, no Adam & Eve means no original sin, no original sin means no need for the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.

The evidence that supports evolution also contradicts Noahs ark and the world being under 10,000 years old.

It really depends on how you take what is written in the bible.   You can take it literally or metaphorically like a "poem".  If you take it like a poem like me, then cience and bible can merge together without having any contradiction.

Adam & Eve for me, is a mere metaphor that represents the corruption of mankind.  And also the crucifixion of Jesus doesnt relate to the original sin; it relates to all sins mankind has comitted on its life.   The Crucifixion of Jesus took event because he wanted to save us from our sins; but the way he does that is not by the crucifixion it self, the way he does it is by giving the example of how you must live your life, showing that while he has  omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence;  he wants to show us how to forgive others, how to atone our actions, and how to love everybody as brothers/sisters.   It may sound quite simple in theory but if you think about it and put that in practice then we would live in the different World.   If you believe in Jesus, God, Virgin Mary , and what they represents; then the crucifixion serves us to realize that we must change the way we live, so we can do the right things (not just for "salvation"); for ourselfs, our families, our friends; in order to have a happy life.

What I wrote above is an example of why I think things that have happened and/or are written in the Bible doesnt necessarily represent literally what is shown; it has a deeper, tacit meaning.

In the end If you are closed minded, then yes everthing contradicts itself (not just the bible and science).

I think I already explained this in an earlier post, I was writing from the point of view of a christian that believed in a literal creation story, it's a reason why a christian may not accept evolution, I was just answering the question Ryan asked. I know plenty of christians have metaphoric interpretations. I stopped reading after the 4th line. Not to be rude, but to be honest I don't really care what your personal intepretation of christian mythology/theology (whatever you wanna call it) is. I've heard plenty of interpretations, and I could tell yours was going to be very similar to ones I've heard before.

Sorry for the misunderstanding of my earlier post, I should of made it clearer that I was trying to say that's why a christian who believed literally in creation would reject evolution.

Around the Network
Adobo said:
Why is it always the Christians? I would say some people don't and that's their opinion. FYI I am Christian and believes on Big Bang Theory. I even love the freaking t.v. show.

Exactly, why is it always christians who get dragged into this type of stuff. Im christian too and i don't believe in evolution or the big bang, but thats just what i believe in.  It's my business what i believe in.  When i've grown up my whole life believing in God and the bible, im not just gonna change my views from what i believe is right.  The one thing i don't like is that a lot of people believe that christians always try to make people believe in what they believe in.  When really most of us don't or at least from where im from we don't.  Ya some do but thats a whole other story.  

If someone wants to believe in something that i don't then thats fine by me.  

Panama said:
There are many religious scientists out there, Einstein being one of them. There exist many countries that are founded on religion where the majority of the populace believe in evolution (surprisingly enough the USA apparently isn't in this category). There's a fine line between being religious or a fundamentalist and those that deny evolution go into the latter category I believe.

Einstein wasn't religious. He was a deist at most. 

"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. "

He says here he is only religious in a certain way, not in the sense you're thinking of. 

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it

Again, deistic point of view.

A better example of a theistic scientist would be Francis Collins, which actually relates to this thread as he lead the Human Genome Project, which completely confirms evolution.

Also, USA wasn't founded on religion, infact it was largely escaping religion.

Sorry I had to nitpick your post, I just can't help myself.

Really it depends what kind of Christian some more then others as seen here

Former something....

Awful lot of people showing on here they have no idea about Christianity other then the tiny proportion they have met in their country.

Of the 2.2 billion Christians on the planet probably 1.9 billion believe in Evolution.

Evolution and The Big Bang theory were theories invented by Christian scientists.

In fact St Augustine was writing about how animals changed and adapted as early as the middle ages.

It seems more popular online though to think "Christian and creationist are teh same thingz!"

Around the Network

I look at it that the creator is a powerful scientific being. He is not some mystical being. He uses scientific laws to create and if it was the big bang he used then so be it. But whatever you believe it is never wise to ignore other ideas contrary to your beliefs. It is not absurd to look at living things and think these are so complicated it must of been planned and built by a intelligent being.

It sounds like the sharks are adapting not turning into geese. Adaptation happens all the time.

Brainslug said:
spurgeonryan said:
MrBubbles said:
plenty of christians believe in evolution and the big bang theory.

Come on now! Most kids growing up in a religous home get taught many things, one of them is that Evolution is wrong!

I am sure there are some Christians who believe that, but I assure you a majority refuse to!

You can't honestly think that -- Christianity is the largest religion in the world with 2.1 BILLION people (Source)

Why aren't there 2.1 Billion people out there (One third of the entire planet's population) protesting evolution?

Because the overwhealming majority of them believe and trust in science. It's a small fringe group who doesn't -- but that small group is LOUD. The loud, very vocal minority of every group always make the rest of a group look bad.

Probably because a large number of Christians aren't actually Christian.

The fact is that a good portion of them actually do accept evolution, at least in some form or another.

It's the incredibly vocal minority(-ish) of defensive Christians that speak out against evolution, they're the ones who make it seem like most Christians don't accept evolution.

I do believe in evolution to an extent, and if you dont you are an idiot. We see evolution all the time in how animals and people adapt to their environments. But I do believe that we all came from the ape or monkeys that we see before us today. What a lot of people dont understand is that we are related in that we came from a common ancestor... we did not evolve from what we see today. The monkeys and apes we see today evolved from something else also into what they are. Evolution is a fact and as a Christian i feel that it is real and can be possible with the idea that God created everything

I'm a catholic and believe 100% in evolution. Just wish evolution will give me 2 extra arms soon.