By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why can't some Christians accept Evolution?

I know many christians that accept evolution and the big bang (in fact both theories were created by Christians)

Many millions around the world accept it - I hate to stereotype but it is mainly only in America Christians dispute evolution at all.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
EpicLight said:
spurgeonryan said:
MrBubbles said:
plenty of christians believe in evolution and the big bang theory.

Come on now! Most kids growing up in a religous home get taught many things, one of them is that Evolution is wrong!

I am sure there are some Christians who believe that, but I assure you a majority refuse to!

Then this must all be a new train of thought in the religous world, because I have not seen it anywhere. What branch, sect, etc are you talking about?

Also for the Catholic thing that I think Mummelman posted, is that hard core evolution or just the knowledge that things do adapt. That is the easy part to swallow, but at a point you need to show Christians more evidence. I am not sure if Catholics fully believe that evolution is as scientist say it is.

Also Catholics have a long history of going against science, so this is not a surprise that they have accepted it in this day and age. If it is true that they whole heartedly accepted evolution. I doubt that is the actual case though.

Catholics, both the Church, including the Pope, and common people, generally have no problems with the evolution, creationists are a very small minority.

Catholics opposed science more than other religions just between the Council of Trent and the end of XVII century, but just to precise one thing, Catholics stopped burning presumed bitches before Protestants, and Protestants, particularly Calvinists, burned more of them in less than 3 centuries than Catholics since the Middle Age. Also, despite prejudices, during the short period between the second half of XVI century and the end of XVII, Christians in general burnt more "witches" than during the much longer and presumed "darker" Middle Age.

After the true dark age, Church's attitude towards science became far more broadminded, and the father himself of Genetics, Gregor Mendel, was a Catholic friar. Catholic Church took centuries to admit it was wrong about Galileo, but I guess they were too embarrassed.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

spurgeonryan said:
MrBubbles said:

Come on now! Most kids growing up in a religous home get taught many things, one of them is that Evolution is wrong!

I am sure there are some Christians who believe that, but I assure you a majority refuse to!

If your talking about the US. I think you would be wrong. I think you are generalising christians all together when they should not be. There are many types with many different levels of belief. I think many non christians mistake the veiws of christians. I have personaly never met a single person who does not believe in some part of evolution. At the same time, evolution is still a theory and is not the end all be all explanation for life and how we came to be.

spurgeonryan said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Zlejedi said:

I don't know if it's just trolling or sheer ignorance on author part but Christians mostly belive in evolution and Darwin Theory

In Europe? Yes. In the US? Most probably not.

Actually zlejedi they do not.

I will not waste my time with your obvious troll response to the thread. So I will post that link below for you to learn up on. Some believe in parts of the evolution theory, but can they really believe in all of it and still be Christian or religous?

Maybe it is your ingnorance that makes you believe that just your part of the world matters. Maybe we are both ignorant? All I know is I can assure you that very little  Christians just accept it as fact.

That has always been the case with Europe though hasn't it? Other than Catholics, and a few other religous sects religion is not that big of deal these days. Am I right? I do not live there so I would not know, furthermore I am not catholic so I do not know much about what they teach either. I do know there are tons of customs, rituals, and history with the church both good and bad.

Please do not tell me what I have seen and still do see with my own eyes. When I go to church I ususally sit in the lobby and drink coffee, but I am still pretty sure the Preacher is not up on the television screen saying, "And then God clapped his hands together and the big bang happened, and then god made monkey, which he turned into a man later on in his "Sixth day" and then... so on and so on.

Like I said not sure how it is over there, but here that does not happen too often.

Mr. Stickball said something about 60 percent up there believe in some sort of evolution. I could go with that. But there is still 40 percent who refuse. They get bombarded with it in school, then tv, then college, everywhere! So what will it take?

Thanks for the response though.

http://biologos.org/blog/what-do-most-christians-really-believe-about-evolution

So i was right just another Christian bashing thread based on superstitions without any actual knowledge.

Most Catholics accept that creation myth is an allegory for milions years long process and even catholic priest who was religion teacher at our High school were telling that creation and darwinism are not mutually exclusive since science cannot explain why did the bing bang happened and how did the life start in the first place.

And well about americans - something like half of them belives in Astrology so .... :)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

There are many religious scientists out there, Einstein being one of them. There exist many countries that are founded on religion where the majority of the populace believe in evolution (surprisingly enough the USA apparently isn't in this category). There's a fine line between being religious or a fundamentalist and those that deny evolution go into the latter category I believe.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
Evolution contradicts Adam & Eve.

If evolution is a fact that means no Adam & Eve, no Adam & Eve means no original sin, no original sin means no need for the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.

The evidence that supports evolution also contradicts Noahs ark and the world being under 10,000 years old.

It really depends on how you take what is written in the bible.   You can take it literally or metaphorically like a "poem".  If you take it like a poem like me, then cience and bible can merge together without having any contradiction.

Adam & Eve for me, is a mere metaphor that represents the corruption of mankind.  And also the crucifixion of Jesus doesnt relate to the original sin; it relates to all sins mankind has comitted on its life.   The Crucifixion of Jesus took event because he wanted to save us from our sins; but the way he does that is not by the crucifixion it self, the way he does it is by giving the example of how you must live your life, showing that while he has  omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence;  he wants to show us how to forgive others, how to atone our actions, and how to love everybody as brothers/sisters.   It may sound quite simple in theory but if you think about it and put that in practice then we would live in the different World.   If you believe in Jesus, God, Virgin Mary , and what they represents; then the crucifixion serves us to realize that we must change the way we live, so we can do the right things (not just for "salvation"); for ourselfs, our families, our friends; in order to have a happy life.

What I wrote above is an example of why I think things that have happened and/or are written in the Bible doesnt necessarily represent literally what is shown; it has a deeper, tacit meaning.

In the end If you are closed minded, then yes everthing contradicts itself (not just the bible and science).

Andrespetmonkey said:

Well according to this, I wouldn't be surprised if that many people protested evolution:

And Ryan never said all christians reject it, he said the majority. 

Sheesh that's low for the U.S 0_o

MrBubbles said:

This. The two beliefs can coexist easily. It is only extremists (which is the unfortunate circumstance for every standpoint) that have such harsh distinctions and cause all the trouble.

I think that's a pretty broad generalisation. In certain parts of America it may hold true that they don't accept evolution, but it's pretty much accepted in some form or another throughout Europe. It's only a vocal minority of overly-religious that don't.

I also know a lot of people who are "Christian", but don't actually follow the bible at all. It's very much a case of "It's the bible... it's not gospel!"

spurgeonryan said:
MrBubbles said:

I am one of them! I believe in evolution! To an extent, though. Also even if I did believe in the Big Bang Theory ( that is an aweome show btw ) what created the Big Bang Theory?.... questions, questions, questions....