By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why can't some Christians accept Evolution?

Scoobes said:
EdHieron said:
Player1x3 said:
EdHieron said:
Jumpin said:

spurgeonryan said:

Why can't Christian's accept Evolution?

Actually, I think mostly all Christians in the western world do accept evolution. The Catholic Church also officially accepts evolution.

The Christians who do not accept evolution, don't accept it for the same reason that any non-Christian who don't believe evolution wouldn't accept it - it is a matter of not being educated about evolution. I would say that nearly 100% of (if not all) liberal Christians accept evolution - I also think that the majority of Christians in the western world are liberal Christians.

I also feel that the atheist perception that all Christians don't accept evolution is a product of neo-atheist prejudice/ignorance.

It seems as if  that you've not spent much time in the United States (especially the Southern Parts) where 70% of the Christians believe in the Literal Truth of The Bible and reject the notion of Evolution being taught in schools.

it seems southeast america =  world

If you live there it is.  But one also has to take into account that the US is the most powerful nation on earth and its policies are shaped to a large extent by the 70% of Fundamantalists that live there.  For example, if Obamaisn't re-elected in November, then he's probably going to be replaced by a wannabe Theocrat with a heavy interest in supporting wars in the Middle East stemming from his religion.

I doubt that it would stem from religion but more a desire for resources. Religion would be used as it always has been; a source of propaganda and the perfect excuse for the masses.

It's also used to control the masses and to keep them stupid.  At least that's the way it works in the US.  Maybe not so much in Europe.  However in America you can't even get far in politics if you don't express at least some belief in the literal truth of The Bible.  Pretty funny / strange for a country founded on free thought and separation of Church and State.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:

... I just got married and am off to a long holiday. I hope you'll forgive me for not responding now. 

Nah don't worry about it. Congratz! 

thranx said:
bouzane said:

@thranx

I'm condescending toward you because you are extremely ignorant, inexcusably so. Why bother to participate in such a discussion at all? I have no patience for such individuals as yourself.

perhaps you should use valid counter arguments instead of trying to attack my character and intelligence. You haven't even made a counter argument.

Posting valid counter arguments like I did on the previous page as opposed to the drivel you posted when you did nothing more than link to the dictionary definion of the word theory and reiterate the exact same drivel you have been this entire time?

bouzane said:
thranx said:
bouzane said:

@thranx

I'm condescending toward you because you are extremely ignorant, inexcusably so. Why bother to participate in such a discussion at all? I have no patience for such individuals as yourself.

perhaps you should use valid counter arguments instead of trying to attack my character and intelligence. You haven't even made a counter argument.

Posting valid counter arguments like I did on the previous page as opposed to the drivel you posted when you did nothing more than link to the dictionary definion of the word theory and reiterate the exact same drivel you have been this entire time?

seeing as your only argument was i used theory incorrect i thought perhaps you wanted a definition. So there it is. The rest of your post contained nothing. there are plenty of missing links. Pease show me the path that human evolution took every step of the way. I have not seen that yet. Did you even read all of my posts? I have already agreed to evolution happening and being a valid theory, it just does not fully explain how humans came to be. Either they have not found all of the evidence yet, or its not there, either way there is plenty of room for doubt in the "theory" of human evolution. (although i do personaly believe in human evolution, i can clearly see the other side has valid arguments especially when so many people spout human evoltion as absolute fact when it is not)

thranx said:
bouzane said:
thranx said:
bouzane said:

@thranx

seeing as your only argument was i used theory incorrect i thought perhaps you wanted a definition. So there it is. The rest of your post contained nothing. there are plenty of missing links. Pease show me the path that human evolution took every step of the way. I have not seen that yet. Did you even read all of my posts? I have already agreed to evolution happening and being a valid theory, it just does not fully explain how humans came to be. Either they have not found all of the evidence yet, or its not there, either way there is plenty of room for doubt in the "theory" of human evolution. (although i do personaly believe in human evolution, i can clearly see the other side has valid arguments especially when so many people spout human evoltion as absolute fact when it is not)

Sorry but the Webster definition is vague and woefully inadequate for defining scientific theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

essential reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_as_fact_and_theory

As far as the other side having valid arguments, they do not. There is evidence to support evolution, there is none to support Creationism. Remember that Creationism is not actually a theory, it is a poorly formulated hypothesis with absolutely nothing to back it up.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
I was told of some dude who's preacher told him that dinosaurs didn't exist and that what they had in museums were made of plastic and that is why they don't let you touch them plastic dinosaurs.

Lol! Sadly that is another one of the flaws on my Mothers side of the family. I would say , What about Dinosaurs?" They would say I dont know.....

What the Hell!

That's petty sad haha but its not entirely wrong. What happens is when a full specimen is discovered the museums make a casting of them and those are the "bones" that we see on display, while the real ones remain safe in the back of the museum.

bouzane said:
thranx said:
bouzane said:
thranx said:
bouzane said:

@thranx

Sorry but the Webster definition is vague and woefully inadequate for defining scientific theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

essential reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_as_fact_and_theory

As far as the other side having valid arguments, they do not. There is evidence to support evolution, there is none to support Creationism. Remember that Creationism is not actually a theory, it is a poorly formulated hypothesis with absolutely nothing to back it up.

were did i say creationism was the other side? I was only arguing that evoltuion does not fully explain how humans came to be, you have yet to address that point. Websters is one of the oldest dictionaries, since we are talking on a forum I am using standard general english in what i said websters is the best definition.

Andrespetmonkey said:
mhsillen said:
I look at it that the creator is a powerful scientific being. He is not some mystical being. He uses scientific laws to create and if it was the big bang he used then so be it. But whatever you believe it is never wise to ignore other ideas contrary to your beliefs. It is not absurd to look at living things and think these are so complicated it must of been planned and built by a intelligent being.

It sounds like the sharks are adapting not turning into geese. Adaptation happens all the time.

Liked your post until I read that, makes you sound a little ignorant. You have to consider those small adaptions accumulating over the space of billions of years.  And even if you personally can't visualize it, it's been well supported by the fossil record and confirmed by DNA sequencing. Not specifically "sharks turning into geese" ofcourse but macro-evolution as a whole.

Do not call me ignorant god dammit, got it. I have never seen proof that this actually happened. The darwin theories are believe are yesterdays news.  I can't express the words to detail the minute chance even with all the years you add. The chances are so small that it would be in the mathematically  impossible category.  Evolution is a religion as much as bible based religion is. 

The complexity and wonder of the earth appears to me that it had a super intelligent scientific mind. It does make sense.  And I will say again do not call me ignorant because insults care not proof of anything

I think every time I've come on the site the past few days I've seen multiple reports on this thread which tells me it's about time it ended.

-edit- 

Well crap, I can't lock threads from the iPad. It remains unlocked for now. -_-

mhsillen said:

Do not call me ignorant god dammit, got it. I have never seen proof that this actually happened. The darwin theories are believe are yesterdays news.  I can't express the words to detail the minute chance even with all the years you add. The chances are so small that it would be in the mathematically  impossible category.  Evolution is a religion as much as bible based religion is. 

I've also never seen proof that the universe is expanding, that light is inextricably linked to gravity, or even that the Earth revolves around the Sun when you get right down to it.

It doesn't mean that any of those things are untrue.

The "evolution is a religion" line is as much of a strawman argument as you can get. To undermine science, religion imposes its own belief structure on it to make it look untrue. Baffling, really. By calling evolution a "religion" in an attempt to discredit it, you're also calling your own belief structure bullshit. Well played. And quite comical for those of us looking in from the outside.

Science is the quest to explain that what happens around us through observation, repetition, and accumulation of data. Evolution meets those requirements in spades. Like most other things in science, it's still a work in progress. It will continue to be refined as more data is accumulated and new ideas are presented within the scientific community. Yeah, that sounds just like religion to me.

Or maybe your church really was right about heliocentrism being untrue and evolution is merely another attempt by science to create a heathen society, just like mainstream Christian churches declared over 400 years ago when geocentrism was challenged. Their track record on this sort of thing is really impeccable.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/