By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you noticed that there are "some" Asians in the West who try to hide their culture?

superchunk said:
I REALLY want to bang Indian chics... does that make me seem as if I want to be Indian and forgo my super awesome White powers?

Lots of hot Indian chicks where I live.

You mad?

Around the Network

The OP is definitely what one would call an instigator, and I don't know whether this thread is a result of clueless ignorance, being socially retarded (despite people throwing out the "racist" card, I don't believe this is the case) or just trying to stir people up while protesting innocence and normally these kinds of threads don't even merit a response, but some of the responses do bring up some interesting issues.

There is no one size fits all answer.

For anyone of asian descent, born in the US, while it may be up to the parents to decide how to raise their children as a Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, whatever household, ultimately it's the kid's decision which culture he or she chooses to adopt. One would probably be more inclined to stick with what they were raised with, but it goes without saying that not everyone falls into the same mold.

With each passing generation, ties to the culture of origin become weaker without deliberate attempts to strengthen those bonds (regular trips to country of origin, regular correspondence with relatives from country of origin, maintaining use of language of country of origin, etc.) and in the case of multi-racial pairings, which culture a given child chooses to identify with becomes even more open.

While I personally find it a bit of a shame when a first gen immigrant goes through great lengths to hide their ethnic origins, I also acknowledge that a lot of people simply want to fit in rather than attract unnecessary grief if they happen to immigrate to a non-ethnically diverse region of the country.

In the instances where there is a built in population of their ethnicity of origin, it's entirely an optional thing (choose to keep acquaintances with culturally familiar faces, or not) rather than some sort of social survival mechanism.

Regardless, no one writes the rules when it comes to whatever culture an individual, regardless of ethnic/racial background, chooses to identify with.

As for the whole hair color thing; I thought all asians had like green, magenta and or blue hair. Have I been watching the wrong cartoons?

greenmedic88 said:
The OP is definitely what one would call an instigator, and I don't know whether this thread is a result of clueless ignorance, being socially retarded (despite people throwing out the "racist" card, I don't believe this is the case) or just trying to stir people up while protesting innocence and normally these kinds of threads don't even merit a response, but some of the responses do bring up some interesting issues.

I think it's a mix of the bolded

Also, I agree with the underlined but I was like what the heck

Great reply btw

Don't know man, haven't really noticed. And this is coming from a guy who lives in Waterloo, Ontario...which has a huge asian population. It definitely looks funny seeing blonde hair on an Asian though its so obvious it isn't their hair colour and honestly they look a lot better with their regular black hair.

But here in Canada we cater to immigrants and allow them to act how they act in their home country. Which is kind of annoying really, if I visited China or Japan I'm not going to expect them to change their lifestyle to accommodate mine.

Robbie2010 said:
Better question why do non asians get random phrases tattoed on their bodies in kanji and other asian scripts?

Not all that odd, actually. Many Asians like to wear and tattoo themselves with random English, French, and German letters, words, and phrases.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
dany612 said:
Because of conservatives/republicans. They want everyone to assemble into this invisible so called 'American lifestyle' and culture and anything else is an insult to America. You can not under any circumstances speak another language while around people who speak English, and you can not print in multiple languages. If your name sounds sooo un-American you have to Americanize it because no one wants to try to pronounce a complicated name. There are people in America who are so ignorant and see different cultures as a threat.
I love Asian culture. I love seeing how diversity can bring beauty. I love Spanish (Baroque) inspired buildings and Chinese architecture. I also love Spanish accents and Asian accents along with others.

How old are you?

i only half agree with tc.

I spent years at University studying politics and centers of power. Time and time again we examine the American model, trying and failing to pinpoint the source of that nation's awesome power.

Then in one fell swoop, FattyDingDong chimes in and reveals, "America was built with weird names, that's what makes this country so great."

My Degree has been rendered moot.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

The asians in Australia as sometimes too much asian. It is hard communicating with a lot of them and getting along.

They use western names if they are Christians. They still have an asian name.

Saying all that the ones who embrace our way of life and integrate a little whilst remembering their roots are some pretty cool people and fun to be around.

Player1x3 said:
dany612 said:
Because of conservatives/republicans. They want everyone to assemble into this invisible so called 'American lifestyle' and culture and anything else is an insult to America. You can not under any circumstances speak another language while around people who speak English, and you can not print in multiple languages. If your name sounds sooo un-American you have to Americanize it because no one wants to try to pronounce a complicated name. There are people in America who are so ignorant and see different cultures as a threat.
I love Asian culture. I love seeing how diversity can bring beauty. I love Spanish (Baroque) inspired buildings and Chinese architecture. I also love Spanish accents and Asian accents along with others.

How old are you?

How is that relevant?. All it takes is a click on my username to find out!