By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you noticed that there are "some" Asians in the West who try to hide their culture?

Aj_habfan said:
It reminds me of this one time I saw this chinese girl in Mcdonalds, like wtf, theres a Sam Wai Chinese Restaurant across the street, stop hiding your true identity.

I know right?  How dare they. 

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

Around the Network

Maybe they're just trying to adapt. i mean they moved from one region to another and just trying to fit in. There is nothing wrong with trying out different cultures.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

WTF? I have not seen this. In fact most of the Asians that I have known tend to "stay with their own" more than anyone else. This must be something unique to where you live.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

- Dying your hair is no different from choosing what color clothes you wear to a person who likes to dye their hair

- Your accent observation is ridiculous, most foreign people try to speak like the people who live in the country they're in. Nothing strange here either

- The plastic surgery thing seems a bit extreme, and I agree that people shouldn't have to feel like the need to look a certain way to look beautiful

- I also disagree with changing one's name in order to fit in better. I have to admit though, I thought about it before so I know how they might feel

I think it's mostly due to them growing up in the US, not them actually trying to hide their culture. I grew up like every other kid when I was young even though my mom & dad weren't originally from the US

...Now that that's out of the way, I think your thread is crazy

Aj_habfan said:
It reminds me of this one time I saw this chinese girl in Mcdonalds, like wtf, theres a Sam Wai Chinese Restaurant across the street, stop hiding your true identity.

made me lol

Around the Network
FattyDingDong said:

I've been wanting to make this thread for months but wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. I hate to generalize the whole asian race but I've noticed that here in America there are so many new generation Asians who try to hide their identity. I think that's quite pathetic.  It irritates me so much when i see an Asian female who dyes her hair blond and talk with a forced American accent. Many Asians even do plastic surgery to look less Asian. I am not saying all Asians are like this, but there are a many of them who do this.  I also noticed that Asians who are born in this country tend to adopt American names?  my question is why... why cant they stick to their own.  Some of them claim that the reason behind this is that most people think ASIAN names are "weird". So freaking what? America was built with weird names, that's what makes this country so great, we have so many different cultures. I love Asians that are proud of their race and culture, and i wish all Asians were like that. 

I for example love Chinese people and their delicious food, but i just hate it when some of them try to avoid their culture and identity.

Please dont be offended if you're Asian, because i am not trying to hate on Asians, i just want everyone to respect their culture and race.  

Lots of white women dye their hair different colours too, it is not limited to Asians. There are also probably lots of Germans in the US who sound like Americans when they talk too. Why? Because that's what happens to people when they live in a society long enough.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Because of conservatives/republicans. They want everyone to assemble into this invisible so called 'American lifestyle' and culture and anything else is an insult to America. You can not under any circumstances speak another language while around people who speak English, and you can not print in multiple languages. If your name sounds sooo un-American you have to Americanize it because no one wants to try to pronounce a complicated name. There are people in America who are so ignorant and see different cultures as a threat.
I love Asian culture. I love seeing how diversity can bring beauty. I love Spanish (Baroque) inspired buildings and Chinese architecture. I also love Spanish accents and Asian accents along with others.

I REALLY want to bang Indian chics... does that make me seem as if I want to be Indian and forgo my super awesome White powers?

Having a desire for blonde hair means you want to be white?

Okay

Beings that I am born to a japanase mother and a german and other things (father).
Skin Color, does not make you Japanese. Their are some kids, whose parents quit most of the Japanese Customs. Does that mean that the kid should act Japanese even though he never experienced much culture related to Japanese? 

The thing about names, is honestly if you are going to to live in America, why give your children names that no one can read or say correctly? They will get picked on. Almost, no one can say, my mothers maiden name correctly even after we teach them how to say it. Which does indeed get irritating.

I can't say your completely off. But at the same time, I'm a Japanese American as is my family. We're not going to walk around in yukata's, and be completely Japanese. Because we're not. Many of us still go to obon festivals. Some still do Bustudan. And a lot of other customs, that growing up, I didn't question or think, Japanese do this, white people do this. I just thought, my family does this. I came to realize some of the things, most Americans don't do.

But ultimately, if your a white dude and you live in Japan for a length of time. You're likely going to do more Japanese Customs, and while that occurs you might change your customs to fit their culture a bit more. The same occurs here in opposite fashion. And there are Japanese that are from Japan, that force themself act like they're white or american. But there are Americans that do the same acting like they're japanese. I'm sure you've heard the term weaboo's before.

At times, being japanese. You are motivated to not be so Japanese in the US in front of non-Japanese, racism still occurs a lot. And some of my relatives were put into internment camps just because they were Japanese. Some of my uncles fought for the U.S. Against the Japanese in WWII. That's not to say, I'm ashamed of being partly Japanese, but I'm not ashamed of being partly white or American either. I'm just not going to rub it in everyones face that I am Japanese, unlike for instance Tim Tebow who likes to rub in everyones face that he's christian.

I'm not saying I know all, because I am not completely Japanese, I am a mix, and my situation differs from some other Asians in the west. But, I am a mix of both customs and heritage.