By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you noticed that there are "some" Asians in the West who try to hide their culture?

Okay I got a bunch of Mexican Tattoos even though I am white so I must not be acting white? This could be said about any race, talk to me after college (if you go) MR Ding Dong because your reasoning skills are not there on this topic.

Around the Network
amp316 said:
FattyDingDong said:
amp316 said:
FattyDingDong said:
amp316 said:
FattyDingDong said:
amp316 said:
Why do I, a white American play Asian games and watch their cartoons?

How is that wanting to be asian? i never said anything about watching someone else's shows. read the thread again

I read it.

So dyeing your hair blonde makes you want to be white?  My white girlfriend must dye her hair blonde to be whiter.

only a white person can have natural blond hair... use your brain

...and if a white person doesn't have natural blonde hair and dyes it to be blonde, does that make them insecure and want to be whiter?  Is this a problem?

dude just stop it.. u are embarassing yourself..  but nice attempt at trying to sound smart. i'll give you that. hehe

I'm embarassing myself?  I didn't author this thread.

Anyhow, have fun with your thread.  I have to run.

Actually Fatty, I think amp316 is correct and you're making yourself look a little stupid.

No ones hiding anything they simply lived in America their whole life and guess what they act like everyone else who was born there. My parents moved to America five years before I was born and I know nothing of my heritage nor do I care to. I live in America I don't need to learn how to speak french or cook french style foods. Everyone here mostly speaks English and that's what I decided to speak. Every two of my three meals were American so guess what now I like to cook and eat American styled foods.

That said here's a story my neighbor told me:

My neighbor, Cammy lived in Vietnam till she was 20 when she moved here to finish school. After living here three years she went to meet a guy her parent wanted her to date. Another girl, Chi, who my neighbor knew from primary school was there as well, they hadn't seen each other for eight years. When Cammy went to talk to Chi she saw that Chi was pretending to be an American who's never been to Vietnam. The girl even pretended not to know Cammy just to keep up the ruse.

This girl here was trying to hide her culture but anyone who is born here is an American and can't act like one since they are one.

FattyDingDong said:

I've been wanting to make this thread for months but wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. I hate to generalize the whole asian race but I've noticed that here in America there are so many new generation Asians who try to hide their identity. I think that's quite pathetic.  It irritates me so much when i see an Asian female who dyes her hair blond and talk with a forced American accent. Many Asians even do plastic surgery to look less Asian. I am not saying all Asians are like this, but there are a many of them who do this.  I also noticed that Asians who are born in this country tend to adopt American names?  my question is why... why cant they stick to their own.  Some of them claim that the reason behind this is that most people think ASIAN names are "weird". So freaking what? America was built with weird names, that's what makes this country so great, we have so many different cultures. I love Asians that are proud of their race and culture, and i wish all Asians were like that. 

I for example love Chinese people and their delicious food, but i just hate it when some of them try to avoid their culture and identity.

Please dont be offended if you're Asian, because i am not trying to hate on Asians, i just want everyone to respect their culture and race.  

Well I think it's a legitimate question. But it would be better if the asians you're talking about are living in Asia actualy.

I will take me for example since some people ask me the same questions from time to time. I live in Montreal and my native language is french since I've lived in Quebec all my life, I grew up being the only black guy in elementary school, I was on the country side, I grew up watching tv with only white people and sometimes there was a black guy dying at the beginning of the movie or at the end after sacrificing himself so the white couple can live. Every books I read was about white culture, even the music was mostly white. It's not like I choosed to grew up here.

Then came the time to leave the country side and start a professional life in the big city where it's more culturaly diversified. Black people, mostly haitians, kept telling me to stop pretending being a quebecer. White people to tell me I'm trying to hide that I'm a haitian.

WTF people!!! That's how I grew up, I have nothing in common with haitians except for the skin color. Humans don't have different accents because of their origins. It's because they used to talk another language before. If I grew up in Russia I would have a russian accent when I talk it has nothing to do with the color of my skin.

The asians you're talking about if they were born and raised in America, tell me why would they live with their respective origins traits if all they knew was American culture? I understand why you ask this but when you think about it it's a ridiculous question. If the world spoke english, every culture would speak the same english no matter their skin color, if they have asian traits or whatever...

I hope I cleared a bit of your confusion, now stop thinking asians from America try to hide their asian culture... in fact they have to learn the asian culture because their culture is american.

Wasting time writing such thing and reading stereotypical statements. Had enough with this racial bullshit

Around the Network

i've been avoiding signing in for a while now but i just have to for this...

culture and identity is not tied to skin color or descent. i'm german by descent but i could care less, i was born in america and i identify myself as american. just because someone has chinese descent doesn't mean they have to identify with china's culture just as i don't identify with my german roots.

with that said, everything you said in the OP is silly and probably offensive.

Forced American accent haha, maybe they were just born in the country and it isn't forced at all? And it's not only asians who adopt more american names, people from places all over do that, it's a personal choice - probably to fit in easier and because of the fact nobody can correctly pronounce the name anyway.

It reminds me of this one time I saw this chinese girl in Mcdonalds, like wtf, theres a Sam Wai Chinese Restaurant across the street, stop hiding your true identity.

Robbie2010 said:
Better question why do non asians get random phrases tattoed on their bodies in kanji and other asian scripts?

I like how the words looked and what they meant lol. 

but back thread creator this makes no sense do you even know if those asians were born in another country or not. Regardless people have a right to embrace any culture they want not saying you said they couldnt but thats probably a reasons why it seems like that to you. 

Yeah, how dare they conform to the society they live in. They should all wear white shirts with a red dot on them and yell Bonzai! Or if they are Chinese they should wear straw hats and be working in our fields eating rice, right?

WTF man.

You basically just said Asians aren't Americans like the rest of us. News flash. They are. Just like French, Italian, English, Australian, Middle Eastern, German, whatever it is... just like they all conform to American society, so do Asian people. I don't see you yelling at Italians who don't speak Italian or eat pasta.

I can hardly believe I even have to respond to a thread like this.

BOOM!  FACE KICK!