By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you noticed that there are "some" Asians in the West who try to hide their culture?

There's nothing wrong with people adopting a different culture if that's what they want to do. There's especially nothing wrong with it if the culture being adopted is that of the host nation.

Cultures are not absolute. The successful one's evolve, absorb and adapt. The less successful one's tend to stagnate and resort to rejectionism.

Around the Network
Marks said:
Don't know man, haven't really noticed. And this is coming from a guy who lives in Waterloo, Ontario...which has a huge asian population. It definitely looks funny seeing blonde hair on an Asian though its so obvious it isn't their hair colour and honestly they look a lot better with their regular black hair.

But here in Canada we cater to immigrants and allow them to act how they act in their home country. Which is kind of annoying really, if I visited China or Japan I'm not going to expect them to change their lifestyle to accommodate mine.

So in Canada you have to change your lifestyle to accomadate immigrants?

You know what pisses me the fuck off? People who give a fuck about the culture of others.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Porcupine_I said:

yeah, i always get confused too if these Asians don't wear their straw hats, how am i supposed to tell they are Asians??

Exactly, and props to that guy for proudly representing his Azn culture!

Badassbab said:
Marks said:
Don't know man, haven't really noticed. And this is coming from a guy who lives in Waterloo, Ontario...which has a huge asian population. It definitely looks funny seeing blonde hair on an Asian though its so obvious it isn't their hair colour and honestly they look a lot better with their regular black hair.

But here in Canada we cater to immigrants and allow them to act how they act in their home country. Which is kind of annoying really, if I visited China or Japan I'm not going to expect them to change their lifestyle to accommodate mine.

Not in some major way, but we are forced to watch what we say/do because God forbid we offend somebody from another race/country. E.g. We can't say Merry Christmas anymore, has to be Happy Holidays. 

Around the Network
Marks said:
Badassbab said:
Marks said:

Not in some major way, but we are forced to watch what we say/do because God forbid we offend somebody from another race/country. E.g. We can't say Merry Christmas anymore, has to be Happy Holidays. 

is this required by law?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Robbie2010 said:
Better question why do non asians get random phrases tattoed on their bodies in kanji and other asian scripts?

LOL, that's for another thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Marks said:
Badassbab said:
Marks said:

is this required by law?

I doubt it. Here in America, saying Merry Christmas is generally discouraged from those in a position which involves interacting with a wide range of people. Though its not a law or anything. And unless you're in a position such as the aforementioned, then of course you can say whatever you want. I would assume it's similar in Canada, or I would have probably heard about it.

Jay520 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Marks said:
Badassbab said:
Marks said:

is this required by law?

I doubt it. Here in America, saying Merry Christmas is generally discouraged from those in a position which involves interacting with a wide range of people. Though its not a law or anything. And unless you're in a position such as the aforementioned, then of course you can say whatever you want. I would assume it's similar in Canada, or I would have probably heard about it.

yeah I think being careful like that is becoming important in the corporate world especially

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Another day, another pretty silly thread by FDD.

I am Asian that speaks Russian (Fucked up ikr) with fluent English and English accent - in most cases people don't even realize that I am foreign - when we're on the phone/skype etc., oh woe, how dare I integrate with the culture that I live in. I am also classed as "British" by everyone I meet on XBL "Oh you british cake" "Go eat some tea and crumpets" "Fuckin' British"

PS, I don't eat with chopsticks or drink green tea 24/7(That shit's delicious) or only eat rice all the time, does that make me a sellout!?

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.