By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2 questions about SONY...

DirtyP2002 said:

the price cut is blamed for the losses by sony!
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38323/PS3_Price_Drop_Leads_To_Sony_Q2_Losses.php

it said sales ratio,that can be directed to alot of things like mass production going down,yen problems,factory problems,new fabrication plants purchased.These are external factors

That may be a temporary thing because of YEN

PS3 just can't lose money regurlarly as PS3 costs are eaily below $250 if you don'ty add

the secon paragraph is basically what I just said. To calculate the PS3 loss you check the numbers. 5 billion USD reported add the profits by the PS2 since release of the PS3 add the profits by the PSP since release of the PS3 and add R&D costs before the PS3 even released. That is why I said 7 billion is an optimistic guess.

yeah i got that

i was just telling you the approx correct number as i have been following SONY,MS,NINTY financial cloasely for alot of years

PS3 isn't profiting in a big way since Q1 2010! For the whole 2010 the profits were 450,000,000 USD.
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/10q4_sonypre.pdf

when did i say big?

if i did.i would meant compared to how much they were losing before as they were just draining money before 2010

And because of the price cut, these profits are gone again so that we might look at +/- 0 for 2010 and 2011 so far. And no, BluRay is not generating more money than the PS3 burns.

PS3 isn't losing on its own.It would be because of external factors in which case all japanese products would profit very less and in sony's case where they were profitting just a bit,they would lose

yeah i know blu-ray isn't protecting it right now,i pointed that out for the PS3 losses all time since 2006 and in long term

Around the Network

Being able to argue one way or the other that the PS3 business is profitable or not is in itself showing that the PS3 business is just not as healthy as it should be. At this point in the PS3 lifecycle with the software sales as they are should have the PS3 business producing huge profits. Not an amount that can be disputed. Is the PS3 hardware making money or losing money? Who knows. All we really know that if it is still making money after the price cut it isnt much.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Kynes said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kynes said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
1: SONY is still 0.8 million units ahead of 360, 360 won't pass.
2: SONY only started making money on the PS3 around 2 years ago, and while their gaming sector is now very profitable, they have a huge range of other electronics that are losing them money.

How do you know it? Sony don't provide this type of information.

In May 2010 Sony announced PS3 HW stopped losing money in March of that year.

http://www.psuni.com/ps3-hardware-now-profitable-for-sony-3816/

You can say it costs to manufacture as an unit less than what you obtain in the sale, but you still have to pay all the staff and marketing and promotions... You can earn money on the hardware and still lose money as a company.

Yes, production costs, and breaking even about it, should just include materials, energy cost and wages for the workers actually involved in producing, packing, warehousing and shipping, and maybe also QA, but not any others, while R&D should be included in the initial costs and all the debt accumulated until HW prodction broke even, and that's the debt for which break even will be reached last, while other staff and marketing are additional costs, breaking even on them just from HW profit can be reached many months after break-even on HW happened, and most probably it's another reason to market the HW mostly while marketing SW too.

Anyhow, Sony's division that produces consoles and portables is still losing money despite PS3 not losing it anymore, because that division includes TVs, that made Sony lose a lot of money, and because it made many acquisitions http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-15/sony-rating-cut-to-bbb-by-fitch-on-financial-performance

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

snakenobi said:
sales2099 said:

Sony on the other hand over the years has lumped the Playstation brand in with an increasing number of different products. The article I mentioned showed the division, a large division BUT included the Playstation brand nonetheless, posted hundreds of millions of losses. 

the division did,not the PS division inside it.

only thing that could bring loss is R&D on PS division but that would be covered by profits

Sony refuses to divulge purely PS numbers and continues to lump them in this large division. I speculate that its cause they can mask their PS losses in a crowd of other products so it will be hard to tell whats really losing money. 

alot of companies do that for various reasons like better linking of different divisions of the company.if you have been following SONY from a long time,then you will know that their divisions were so scattered.Alot of restructuring happened and thats why they came together.

But they could also do that for the reasons you pointed out

but SONY gives out sales numbers and PS3 has been profiting from Q12010

For one thing, you cant tell me that those Q2 losses weren't cause of PS3. It was the same quarter of the PS3 price cut. Naturally some of those losses belong to the PS brand. Not saying its ALL cause of PS but at least some of it is. 

Sony gives out sales numbers offcourse but again, they have now made it impossible to tell their level of profitability, if any. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

There's a sub argument going on in this thread about how Americans love the Xbox 360 because it was made by an American company. I don't recall us jumping on the Atari Jaguar bandwagon back in the 90's or anything. Since the debut of the Nintendo Entertainment System, the people of America have been madly in love with the consoles from Nintendo and Sony (and Sega, to a lesser extent). Hell, Sega sometimes did better in America than it did in Japan!

This whole "American Patriotism" thing is some bullshit. We just buy what we like. The 360 is a quality console that does a lot of things right and very few things wrong. That's why it's selling. Discounting all of the business choices that Microsoft made to get their console into the position that it's in today is just wrong--just as wrong as forgetting all of the boneheaded decisions that Sony has made this gen which essentially gave Microsoft an advantage.

Oh, and Nintendo says, "Hi".

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
snakenobi said:
sales2099 said:

Sony on the other hand over the years has lumped the Playstation brand in with an increasing number of different products. The article I mentioned showed the division, a large division BUT included the Playstation brand nonetheless, posted hundreds of millions of losses. 

only thing that could bring loss is R&D on PS division but that would be covered by profits

Sony refuses to divulge purely PS numbers and continues to lump them in this large division. I speculate that its cause they can mask their PS losses in a crowd of other products so it will be hard to tell whats really losing money. 

alot of companies do that for various reasons like better linking of different divisions of the company.if you have been following SONY from a long time,then you will know that their divisions were so scattered.Alot of restructuring happened and thats why they came together.

For one thing, you cant tell me that those Q2 losses weren't cause of PS3. It was the same quarter of the PS3 price cut. Naturally some of those losses belong to the PS brand. Not saying its ALL cause of PS but at least some of it is. 

Sony gives out sales numbers offcourse but again, they have now made it impossible to tell their level of profitability, if any. 

If PS3 broke even during Spring 2010, a $50 cut in August 2011 shouldn't have made it lose money again. If they chose a $50 cut instead of a far more effective $100 one, the most likely reason is that the smaller one left it profitable or at worst just breaking even, while the bigger one would have made it lose money again. But these reasonings aren't necessary: the division producing PS3 produces a lot more things, and if you google around, you'll find that analysts blame TVs and acquisitions for its losses.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I feel the need to jump in this whole US buy 360 because it's American / Japanese buy Sony because it's Japanese.

Personally I think this is most likely bollocks for the majority. Sure, some locals will do that in each country, but I doubt the majority.

The 360 sells well is US because it's library and features are popular and appeal vs the PS3. Particularly early on in the gen the 360 have a good Live service and MS saw that in US they could own the demographic that previously focused on PC for online gaming. Sony/PS3 lagged well behind for too long and simply didn't offer the right features when the 360 did. Now 360 simply has the best marketshare.

I'd note that during this the Wii - a Japanese product - by appealing even more than 360 to the even larger general gaming audience outsold the 360 handily (until recently) and very likely took a huge part of that demographic from Sony who actually had a lot of that demographic tied up with the PS2.

Meanwhile in Japan I'd say the situation was reversed. The 360 features/library didn't meet local gaming preferences that well and sold accordingly. The relatively early RROD also no doubt hurt the brand more in Japan than US. The PS3 sold a bit better but not that much until it got the games/features right. Meanwhile, as in US, the Wii, which appealed the most, sold the most.

If you look at it you'll see local markets actually buying the product that appeals through features - not where the HQ was based. And that's just focusing on consoles - cast the net wider to more electronic devices and you'll see the device that appeals wins much more than not irrespective of the company's country of origin.

So can we give the whole patriot, xenophobe thing a rest because the evidence doesn't really support it? If 360 had the best library/features for Japan it would sell the most there - I'm sure of it. Similarly if PS3 had the best features/library for US it would sell the most there.

A final point on that - look at the differences and you'll see that the PS3 sells better in US than 360 in Japan because it has (and has had for a while) a better local proposition than 360 in Japan. Check the 360 spikes early on in Japan when it had the right titles - the problem is MS could never get the mix right in a consistent manner, they had RROD brand damage to overcome (their fault but still it mattered) and finally I think Live being a charged service and holding the keys to other online features wasn't accepted too much in Japan.

Again, the evidence simply shows sales ratios relative to local appeal based on features not country of origin by company.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

sales2099 said:
snakenobi said:
sales2099 said:

not really as PS3 had started profiting under $10 in Q1 2010(Jan -Mar)

there on they have had RSX reductions,new ps3 model in with internal redesign and other things such a blu-ray,die,components price falling over time and also by mass production.PS3 just can't lose money.

though what i am trying to say is understand the currency mechanism

for example: a product is priced at highly profitable levels but if the currency exchange rate effects it negatively,even if it is profitabler in manufacturing,when it goes to sell in another country with weaker currency aka Dollar's weakness to YEN,then it might not profit that much or lose.

even with currency mechanism PS3's costs would take take of that or break even or just might lose a bit with external expenses like marketing.