By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2 questions about SONY...

blkfish92 said:
They lose out on the chartz because Americans like the all mighty xbox a little too much.

this is a site based in the uk i believe, not in america. I dont even know if the americans are the majority of visitors here.

Around the Network
thranx said:
blkfish92 said:
They lose out on the chartz because Americans like the all mighty xbox a little too much.

this is a site based in the uk i believe, not in america. I dont even know if the americans are the majority of visitors here.

That wasn't the point, the point is the ps3 always loses out in America to the 360, yet wins in Japan and Europe.

blkfish92 said:
thranx said:
blkfish92 said:

That wasn't the point, the point is the ps3 always loses out in America to the 360, yet wins in Japan and Europe.

oh, my bad. I thought you meant it as the site being biased towards the xbox because it was an american product. My bad. Sorry for that. Sometimes i read things wrong.

Kynes said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
1: SONY is still 0.8 million units ahead of 360, 360 won't pass.
2: SONY only started making money on the PS3 around 2 years ago, and while their gaming sector is now very profitable, they have a huge range of other electronics that are losing them money.

How do you know it? Sony don't provide this type of information.

In May 2010 Sony announced PS3 HW stopped losing money in March of that year.

http://www.psuni.com/ps3-hardware-now-profitable-for-sony-3816/

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

As for SONY sustaining it,SONY is a pretty big company so they have alot of money from the past and also it borrows if it needs more and because it has such a great brand,lenders loan money easily. if sony continues to get these kinds of rating llike state in the article below , lenders will not lend so easily like you stated.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-12-16/sony-rating-cut-by-fitch-on-losses-from-tvs-acquisitions.html

Around the Network

Love how people call americans Sheep for loving an american concevied product be it Microsoft , Apple & be that they were assembled in some cheap labor country                             
seems unfair that Americans are called sheep for loving american products , but japanesses are called patriot or someother BS when they by thier jap products.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kynes said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
1: SONY is still 0.8 million units ahead of 360, 360 won't pass.
2: SONY only started making money on the PS3 around 2 years ago, and while their gaming sector is now very profitable, they have a huge range of other electronics that are losing them money.

How do you know it? Sony don't provide this type of information.

In May 2010 Sony announced PS3 HW stopped losing money in March of that year.

http://www.psuni.com/ps3-hardware-now-profitable-for-sony-3816/

You can say it costs to manufacture as an unit less than what you obtain in the sale, but you still have to pay all the staff and marketing and promotions... You can earn money on the hardware and still lose money as a company.

thranx said:
blkfish92 said:
thranx said:
blkfish92 said:

oh, my bad. I thought you meant it as the site being biased towards the xbox because it was an american product. My bad. Sorry for that. Sometimes i read things wrong.

It's fine I probably should have explained said it better worded to begin with.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
http://www.gamingbus.com/2011/11/03/sonys-consumer-products-division-posts-q2-losses/

People dont forget this little tidbit of information. Playstation division isnt profiting anymore.

it's the division not the product in question. PS is lumped in with the consumer electronic's division, so there is no way of knowing unless there's a seporate report breaking down each product.

as noted before, yes the price cut(which is mentioned in the artical) is part of the loses, but it says nothing about the system or PS brand taking a lose.

PS is in the division that's costing Sony the most money, yet the PS brand is profiting. 

check this out gamerzpedia: highest earning video game...

You see MS has their division which is mostly made up of Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 7. So when we see their numbers, its pretty clear that their mostly from Xbox. You dont have people saying " They only profited because Windows Phone was carrying the Xbox brand". Thats just not done lol. 

Sony on the other hand over the years has lumped the Playstation brand in with an increasing number of different products. The article I mentioned showed the division, a large division BUT included the Playstation brand nonetheless, posted hundreds of millions of losses. 

Sony refuses to divulge purely PS numbers and continues to lump them in this large division. I speculate that its cause they can mask their PS losses in a crowd of other products so it will be hard to tell whats really losing money. 

Oh and I saw your link. Says Sony PS brand brings in 13.4 billion every year....in revenue. I wanted to know net profit. Revenue is good and dandy but it could lead to a net loss for all we know. 

agreed on some points. hey they could be masking PS3 losses, but we'd be better of saying the PS3 makes very little profit v saying it's a huge hole.

you may not know me that well but i hate speculation, it's like betting your car can go 300 miles per hr. but the speedometer says your top speed is 298.

okay, some points to consider:

• your article is about revenue, not profit. It doesn't prove anything.
  • The Playstation divison is Bravia TVs, Playstation brand and Vaio. Vaio was the one being profitable.
  • The price cut made Sony bleed another $500,000,000 - That is why nobody understood why Sony did it. Market share is irrelevant this late into a generation anyway. Analysts and rating agencies made Sony feel it.
  • Overall The losses of the Playstation division (even before they megred with Bravia and Vaio) should be in the 5 billion USD range by now since the release of the PS3. This is with a profitable PSP and a profitable PS2. Now add R&D costs for the PS3 and you get the idea what kinde of financial nightmare the PS3 really is for Sony. I think 7 billion USD loss (5 billion reported + PS2 profits since 2006 + PSP profits since 2006 + R&D costs before 2006) is an conservative guess.

Good night. Merry Xmas!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

kmcroc said:
Love how people call americans Sheep for loving an american concevied product be it Microsoft , Apple & be that they were assembled in some cheap labor country                             
seems unfair that Americans are called sheep for loving american products , but japanesses are called patriot or someother BS when they by thier jap products.

No, alot of people here call the Japanese people Xenophobic, which is probably worse.  Despite the fact that anyone who goes there knows that they have alot of American products they like.  Just because they don't see much reason to get the Xbox doesn't mean they don't like Call of Duty or other American products (which did better than many of their own games).

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.