By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation Vita sold better than some people think

Legend11 said:
nnodley said:
i hope vita does better in US and Europe. It has a good launch lineup and i only hear good things about it so I'm hopeful.

The Vita is going to bomb pretty badly in the US, I doubt even a price drop would save it at this point.  Europe on the other hand is what will decide the fate of the system.  One major problem though will be the reliance on Western third parties for the system's success since I think they're only going to give it token support at best.  Those thinking that ports of major multiplatform games will somehow cause the system to succeed seem to forget that by the time it has any kind of significant installed base outside of Japan the next generation of consoles will be here.  The system will basically be getting downgraded ports that will likely be an afterthought compared to the consoles, much like the Call of Duty franchise on Wii for example.

I don't think it will bomb, thats a little harsh. I really don't think it will have great sales or mediocre sales, i think it will have decent sales. 

But most of the launch lineup for vita are all original games and not ports.  Ya there will be some ports but it will be the original games that will move vita units.

Around the Network

Vita sales is the talk of the week, started to get boring.

gustavohenrique said:

Agreed.  We at least gave the 3DS a month or 2 after it was released before we declared it do0med.   

I say we give the same benefit to the Vita.  At least let it launch in the other regions first.

thismeintiel said:
gustavohenrique said:

Agreed.  We at least gave the 3DS a month or 2 after it was released before we declared it do0med.   

I say we give the same benefit to the Vita.  At least let it launch in the other regions first.

This was not because of altruism on the part of some camp, that was simply because the 3DS' second week in Japan was over 200k. Had the 3DS second week in  Japan been 70k, I am absolutely certain it would have been declared do0med right then and there (especially by some of those presently rationalizing in various forums current Vita sales as ok).

That said, while these Vita second week sales ARE very bad 2nd week sales numbers, especially given the season,  there is no reason whatsoever to declare Vita doomed.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:
thismeintiel said:
gustavohenrique said:

This was not because of altruism on the part of some camp, that was simply because the 3DS' second week in Japan was over 200k. Had the 3DS second week in  Japan been 70k, I am absolutely certain it would have been declared do0med right then and there (especially by some of those presently rationalizing in various forums current Vita sales as ok).

That said, while these Vita second week sales ARE very bad 2nd week sales numbers, especially given the season,  there is no reason whatsoever to declare Vita doomed.

I agree Vita sales are HORRIBLE!!! Despite what people here think many analyst (forbes and such) are already saying it's a bomb.  Even IGN a stout Vita supporter said sales were horrible!!! It's headed the same path as the HP touch pad if sales in North America doesn't become a success and outsells 3DS first week sales!!! (my opinion)

Around the Network
oni-link said:
bmmb1 said:
thismeintiel said:
gustavohenrique said:

I agree Vita sales are HORRIBLE!!! Despite what people here think many analyst (forbes and such) are already saying it's a bomb.  Even IGN a stout Vita supporter said sales were horrible!!! It's headed the same path as the HP touch pad if sales in North America doesn't become a success and outsells 3DS first week sales!!! (my opinion)

Well I disagree on the bomb part, and that some analysts say it is a bomb is meaningless, they also said that about the 3DS. While Vita may become a bomb eventually, there is really no way to know right now. And we really don't know about NA and EU sales yet, the Vita may end up performing better there, just because it didn't in Japan (yet)  doesn't mean it won't do better elsewhere, there are too many unknown/untested facors at play.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

oni-link said:
bmmb1 said:
thismeintiel said:
gustavohenrique said:

That's a little drastic, don't you think?  It doesn't really matter if the Vita outsells the 3DS, just as it didn't matter that the PSP outsold the DS.  The fact that Sony has even been able to make place for itself in a market only Nintendo succeeded in previously, while also making a profit, is probably good enough for Sony.  Of course, we have yet to see how the Vita fares in other parts of the world.  Or even how well the 3DS will continue to do once the holiday season is over.  Plus, Sony is most likely going to drop the price a little around the holiday season in 2012, which will definitely boosts sales quite a bit.  As far as those sites go, the more sensational your story is, the more hits you get.  And that means more money.

thismeintiel said:
oni-link said:
bmmb1 said:
thismeintiel said:
gustavohenrique said:

That's a little drastic, don't you think?  It doesn't really matter if the Vita outsells the 3DS, just as it didn't matter that the PSP outsold the DS.  The fact that Sony has even been able to make place for itself in a market only Nintendo succeeded in previously, while also making a profit, is probably good enough for Sony.  Of course, we have yet to see how the Vita fares in other parts of the world.  Or even how well the 3DS will continue to do once the holiday season is over.  Plus, Sony is most likely going to drop the price a little around the holiday season in 2012, which will definitely boosts sales quite a bit.  As far as those sites go, the more sensational your story is, the more hits you get.  And that means more money.

like I said in my previous post, I like Nintendo having competition (it spurs their creativity and good for the industry in general).   The reasoning that the PSV doesn't have to sell better it's first month in all territories in comparison to 3DS is bull (my opinion).   The handheld market today for dedicated videogame systems is a lot smaller compared to when the DS and PSP first launched due to smartphones and tablets. In addition, Sony as a whole is in financial turmoil if you look at the news with their credit being downgraded and the selling of their LCD plants to competitor Samsung.  I still don't buy the whole PSV is profitable on day one crap.  I think it's marketing on Sony's part and I will have to wait to see an unbiased independent breakdown of the hardware to see how much it cost Sony to produce the product.  Remember, that retailers also buys the PSV for essentially half of it's MSRP.   http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/the-one-big-reason-why-ipad-rivals-cant-compete-on-price/7724   Sony cutting the price of the PSV so soon in it's release is financial suicide and will end up being another HP touchpad/Dreamcast scenario (that no one would like to see).

oni-link said:
thismeintiel said:
oni-link said:
bmmb1 said:
thismeintiel said:
gustavohenrique said:

like I said in my previous post, I like Nintendo having competition (it spurs their creativity and good for the industry in general).   The reasoning that the PSV doesn't have to sell better it's first month in all territories in comparison to 3DS is bull (my opinion).   The handheld market today for dedicated videogame systems is a lot smaller compared to when the DS and PSP first launched due to smartphones and tablets. In addition, Sony as a whole is in financial turmoil if you look at the news with their credit being downgraded and the selling of their LCD plants to competitor Samsung.  I still don't buy the whole PSV is profitable on day one crap.  I think it's marketing on Sony's part and I will have to wait to see an unbiased independent breakdown of the hardware to see how much it cost Sony to produce the product.  Remember, that retailers also buys the PSV for essentially half of it's MSRP.   http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/the-one-big-reason-why-ipad-rivals-cant-compete-on-price/7724   Sony cutting the price of the PSV so soon in it's release is financial suicide and will end up being another HP touchpad/Dreamcast scenario (that no one would like to see).

I wouldn't buy that bull that the handheld market has shrunk.  That's just sensationalist journalists looking for hits.  If it truly had shrunk, there is no way Nintendo would have been able to sell over 14 million 3DSs in its first 10 months.  Which is better than DS's first 13 months.  Granted the DS didn't launch almost the same time in most regions like the 3DS did.  And while the Vitas second week isn't all that great, it still has launched larger than the PSP did (Vita's 2 week total of ~430K compared to PSP's two week total of ~248K).  If anything this shows the market has grown, or at the very least, has not been affected at all by smartphones and tablets.  So there is plenty of space for both handhelds in the handheld market.

As far as the financial side goes, I don't think Sony is breaking even on the Vita, either.  However, they have said they were keeping costs in mind when making it, so I would imagine they aren't losing too much on it.  Plus, they are definitely making a nice profit off of the memory cards and reports say those are selling nicely.

loy310 said:
Rafux said:
loy310 said:
According to VGC the Vita sold 100k not 75k for the week ending DEC 24th . So combined the vita have sold 430k in 2 weeks in Japan. With only 500k vita shipped that's a 85% sell through. I'm sure that would put a grin on Sony's face because it has surly met their exceptions, if not they would have shipped 700k to japan and not 500k.

I'm not finding any reports of a second shipment, so Vita is pretty much sold out in regions that Famitsu and Media Create track sales in.
So its official Vita sold out in Japan for 2011, nice job Sony.

I think the extra 30K is from Vita being sold out in Honk kong

Yea i figured that, what im saying is that Sony shipped 500k total. So Vita shuld have massive shortages right about now. 

Both versions of the Vita are in stock in every store I've been to since launch weekend. Online as well, it's very easy to find a Vita in Japan.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"