By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSVita launch week sales:321k

That's pretty much in line with my prediction (345k).

Around the Network

calm down its only been 2 Days of sales, lol i'd love to know what you all think of this
A smattering of sales statistics have emerged based on PlayStation Vita’s day one sales figures.

It looks like ‘select stores’ have been selling out of the Wi-Fi model, with estimated sellthrough of that particular version at around 85%. The 3G version is currently at around 56%.

The top selling games are Everybody’s Golf 6, Uncharted and Dynasty Warriors, with the DLC-based 30fps Ridge Racer ‘uncharacteristically’ slow. Looks like people are wise to NAMCO’s methods.

Stock of memory cards is low, with the 32GB and 16GB units sold out. 90% of Vita buyers bought a memory card. The software tie is at 1:1.

Both Peter and I are importing Vitas, with them hopefully arriving next week along with a big pile of games. We’ll let you know what it’s all about when they land.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/12/18/day-one-vita-sales-figures-roll-in/

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

These aren't bad sales and people seem to be forgetting that the vita will get a call of duty which has a worldwide appeal, not just Japanese.

thehusbo said:
These aren't bad sales and people seem to be forgetting that the vita will get a call of duty which has a worldwide appeal, not just Japanese.

You're also forgetting that, it'll get its own home console versions. Majority aren't going to buy the same game twice.

NYANKS said:
Seece said:
Galaki said:
naruball said:
 Sony let the franchise go

It's much more likely that Nintendo moneyhatted Capcom for it.

I agree with this, I just can't see how Capcom would put it on 3DS without Nintendo shelling out for it. (not that it's done bad, but I believe it would have done better on Vita given that is where the userbase is)

And don't give me this honour crap, as if it's below them to moneyhat.

It could still be a timed exclusive, yeah?  It would have to be a hell of a moneyhat to dissuade them from millions of potential sales.

I think it was more than a deal to simply release two games on the 3DS. Capcom had the flagship launch title for 3DS, they developed 2 Resident Evil games for a Nintendo system (even though those sell better on Sony consoles) and the PSP version of Monster Hunter 3 was never released in the west even though Capcom constantly tells us they want the franchise to grow over here. It looks like Nintendo begged for major support and I'm willing to bet Nintendo will publish both Monster Hunter 3DS games in the west (they are going to publish Revelations in Europe, too).

There may very well be a contract for exclusivity considering Nintendo's efforts to help Capcom grow the Monster Hunter franchise in the west. And we haven't seen Capcom's Wii U support yet. I guess there was some serious moneyhatting going on behind the scenes and lots of publishing + advertisement deals as well. Something along the lines of "you'll released a truckload of moneyhatted exclusive games for our platforms and we are going to publish and market them". That's just my 2 cents but I think it sounds plausible. Why would Capcom suddenly release all those games exclusively for Nintendo's platform(s)?

OP: The sales are actually really good. Again, if Sony shipped 700k units they must have had more than 2 days in mind. The platform will hardly drop below 200k units next week and there will be a spike the week after. They'll probably sell more than 700k units in the first month. I'd call that a highly successful launch.

Around the Network

Bad launch as expected, Japan is the most software-driven country and the price is too high for the mass market. Of course this device isn't "doomed" at all since Sony always plays in the long term, this is like a premium launch.

With Memory card's sale is close to 1:1 then I am pretty sure Sony made a ton of money.

Comparison's sake.

First week sales comparison

DS – 441,485
Wii – 371,936
3DS – 371,326
PlayStation Vita – 321,407
PSP – 166,074
PlayStation 3 – 88,443
Xbox 360 – 62,135
PS2 – 630,552
GBA – 611,504
GameCube – 133,719
Xbox – 123,929
Dreamcast – 101,490

PS2 is the beast!!!

This is a good first week. Obviously people who thought that the Vita was going to do more were deluded.

The Vita should be around 700 000 at the end of the year. Not enought to stop the 3DS momentum I think.

The 3DS may very well be higher than the Vita in Vita's week launch.

Also the first week for hardware says almost nothing about how well that hardware will end up doing. There are too many factors down the road.

Anyway, The Wi Fi version is sold out so This is really bad! Bomb I tell you! Bomba I tell you!