By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people think FPS are better with Wiimote/Move?

UltimateUnknown said:
TWRoO said:

[snip]

Personally I don't really care for the story or graphical achievements of the games that actually do well in those areas, which brings me back to the controls (I haven't read the whole OP but I believe this was your main focus) and was also why i enjoyed The Conduit. The main problem with Wii and Move controls for FPS is the lack of a second analogue stick. When sat at a PC with a mouse on a flat surface it is possible to have a fixed cursor and use your aiming device (the mouse) to also act as your 'looking' device (looking is the process of rotating your view).
The Wii remote does not have the luxury of an assumed default position, if you let go of the controller in an FPS that uses a pointing device to alter the 'looking' action in game then your view could move about wildly depending on what the IR camera sees. With the PSmove I would guess dropping the controller will also give unexpected results depending on what angle it rests at, and also whether the glowing ball can still be seen by the camera (I would think sensible developers should either stop camera movement or reset to a central point if the ball is unseen, or at least give an option about what to do as some games have if the Wii remote camera can no longer see the sensor bar).

[snip]

I think you sir have gotten very much to the root of the issue I was talking about with that statement above. Its exactly this assumed default position that I find is so important in FPS games. Normally when I point at something with the second analogue stick while aiming down sight or otherwise, I can pretty much bring the second analogue stick to the default position to the middle while shooting the guy keeping my gun on screen absolutely steady and on point where I just aimed. This is exactly what I can't seem to do with the Wiimote perfectly, as there is no assumed default position with the Wiimote, so you kind of have to hover your hand in midair (even when resting your elbows) which makes it difficult sometimes to keep your crosshairs/iron sights steady at whatever you are shooting at. I know this feels very digital, but I think its an important feature in FPS which allow both KB&M and controller users to sort of lock on and don't have to worry about anything else, while MC users still have to keep the gun in place, because as you said they can't just drop the Wiimote from their hands and hope they would still be on target. Thanks for your insight though, it helped me understand the issue a lot more clearly.

Well I will still have to put most of that fault with your position or your unsteady hand, as I don't have any of the same troubles once I custom fit the controls to my liking. Your position will depend on your gaming setup of course, but if possible I suggest trying to rest you wrist on yourself (or something else), not just your elbow. When you wrist is in a planted position, you can create your own default centre wherever your wrist feels the most comfortable... And assuming the PSmove pointing is as sensitive as Wii remote (though given the Skyward Sword method of  pointing uses similar tech to PSmove without the camera.. and it gives much more leeway... I am not sure if it is till I try it) you only have to twist your wrist slightly to do what you want, and releasing the muscle tension used to turn your wrist will naturally pull the pointer back to the default zone (inside the bounding box so that your character is not turning or looking up/down)

If the controls are fully customisable, the only difference in your scenario between pointer controls and dual analogue is that you can't shift your position (your own, not talking about the character here) once you lock on with ADS view. unless you are unusually restless though this generally shouldn't be an issue.

Around the Network
amp316 said:
Keyboard + Mouse > Wii Remote and Nunchuk > Dual Analog ( I have not tried a FPS with PS Move)

Aiming is woefully slow compared to the others with an analog stick. I don't know how anyone could argue against this. Try playing GoldenEye on the Wii using both methods without your I've played FPS games forever with dual analog bias and get back to me on that.

I know that a mouse is the most precise, but I prefer picking out things and shooting them with a Wii Remote since I find it to be more fun.

SO why do people think that a Wii Remote is better than an analog stick for aiming? Well..er... because it is.

uhm simply turn the sensitivity up ?

A friend of mine who doesn't even own a console also sets it to maximum whenever we're playing Halo and he is easily as fast with his thumbs as a human who needs to move his whole arm to get from the one side of the screen to the other. And yet he is still very precise.

the old duck hunt gun would be better more precise for fps than wii and move. those took real aiming not just a reverse mouse.

Barozi said:
amp316 said:
Keyboard + Mouse > Wii Remote and Nunchuk > Dual Analog ( I have not tried a FPS with PS Move)

Aiming is woefully slow compared to the others with an analog stick. I don't know how anyone could argue against this. Try playing GoldenEye on the Wii using both methods without your I've played FPS games forever with dual analog bias and get back to me on that.

I know that a mouse is the most precise, but I prefer picking out things and shooting them with a Wii Remote since I find it to be more fun.

SO why do people think that a Wii Remote is better than an analog stick for aiming? Well..er... because it is.

A friend of mine who doesn't even own a console also sets it to maximum whenever we're playing Halo and he is easily as fast with his thumbs as a human who needs to move his whole arm to get from the one side of the screen to the other. And yet he is still very precise.

You never have to move your whole arm, it's more a flick of the wrist to cover the whole screen.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Barozi said:
amp316 said:

You never have to move your whole arm, it's more a flick of the wrist to cover the whole screen.

I was trying to write "hand" but my girlfriend was distracting me.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Barozi said:
amp316 said:

Striptease?

;D

Play4Fun said:
Barozi said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Striptease?

;D

While he is sat at a computer on a video game website?

How romantic *rolls eyes*

She was probably trying to escape from the kitchen.

TWRoO said:
Play4Fun said:
Barozi said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Striptease?

;D

While he is sat at a computer on a video game website?

How romantic *rolls eyes*

She was probably trying to escape from the kitchen.

nah something about our christmas presents.

Motion owns in shooting. Don't own move, so can't comment on that, but all shooter games I've played are just amazing with wiimote. Hell Zelda doesn't even use IR and it's still better.

Also go and read reviews, when you find some reviews giving a shooter on teh Wii a bad score because the aiming makes the game too easy, then you know its a fact.

Go an play RE4 on ps2 or gamecube or hell didn't a ps3 version come out? Well play with a normal dual analog, then pick up a wiimote or move if it did come out for ps3. See which one you end up getting more headshots and wasting less ammo.

You do bring up one good point though. The games that have the gun slightly shake when aiming should REMOVE that when its using a wiimote or move. Still keep recoil obviously, but why add shaking to aiming when shaking should be something you are doing your own. Of course this would again make wiimote owners OWN other methods cause seriously who shakes when aiming, lol.

Oh and I have Skyrim for my computer, I decided to play with 360 controller to start since I hear the controls where again another Witcher 2 fiascol where it was built around controller and not mouse keyboard. And wow do I again hate dual analog. Its so damn hard to hit enemy with magic on that thing. Switched back to mouse keyboard and i'm like a God with magic and arrows and never miss and am able to hit within miliseconds and not seconds.

That is what you will notice if you play someone with a wiimote vs dual analog. They will shot you before you can even get your "STEADY recticle" aimed on them. Mouse people are probably even faster. But to say dual analog is better is not an opinion, its a falasy. You may prefer it, but its not better.

Go and watch a video of the duck hunter game o someone using the wiimote. Its not possible for someone to do that with a dual analog controller. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YePLMI9pu4 No matter how good someone is with Dual analog that is impossible for them

Barozi said:
amp316 said:

Yes, you can turn the sensitivity up, but it's still not anywhere as quick as the flick of the wrist.       

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger