By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Obama's America, getting better or worse? He promised change - now we are getting it.

I think the problem is not Obama, but rather Americans. If Obama didn't have to waste time pleasing the bunch of illiterate primitive bumpkins in your country (who are persistent in their opinion that the world is 6000 years old, and evolution and the green house effect aren't real - and refuse to read anything because they feel like they already know everything; now I know this likely isn't even half of you - but it is a very large number of you), then there wouldn't be a problem. There would be no problem with China either, because you'd be intelligent enough to know that it is moronic to continuously antagonize everyone in the world because they speak a different language or have a different colour skin or religion; and stop declaring all of these stupid wars.

Most of all, I think the US is poor and have health problems now because you seem to completely lack any form of knowledge on proper nutrition; and don't understand that it is unhealthy to eat as much as you do. Start eating normally, and your health and money problems will dramatically decrease. Since you have an epidemic of morbid obesity, one thing to do is to create a tax for fat people who buy unhealthy food at American chain restaurants and markets (including cheese, meat, potato chips, candy, and other processed and garbage food).

Most importantly, cut your military down by 80-90%, no one likes the fact that the US has an overpowered military, and it is the main reason why most countries hate you, especially since you keep bullying small third world countries. It is also causing huge economic problems in your country - much more so than Health Care (I think it is funny how you blame health care costs which are necessary, but ignore the huge military budgets that are completely unnecessary and actually very counter-productive).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

In short, not the worst president.

Love and tolerate.

So he's Confident, supporting health care, not pushing religion, cares about the environment, and not acting like a douche to the rest of the world. Can this man do anything right?

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

Not going over everything posted here, but I agree with Seece.

And in my own honest opinion, if Obama isn't a Christian, that is his personal right, and he shouldn't be required to say 'God bless America' after each speech, who knows maybe it just slipped his mind, he's also human.

Has he made things worse? I think he just has too much shit to try and fix that Bush left behind to make things much better.

OP: So you basically want a warmongering president who destroys relations and spends all the money on the military? You want Bush back, that makes me kinda sad to be honest.

Around the Network

"So he's Confident, supporting health care, not pushing religion, cares about the environment, and not acting like a douche to the rest of the world. Can this man do anything right?"

- He is not confident in himself as he lets himself get bullied by congress endlessly.
- Health care rules are a joke compared to the rest of the developed world.
- He has not done much for the environment and the pipeline is a election ploy. Such behaviour is more appropriate in a third world country.

Also just because he is nice to the rest of the world does not excuse him from his lackluster performance domestically.

Well I think Obama does not believe he has ultimate responsibility. Sure blaming problems on a past President is appropriate for one or two years is fine but it is 3 years now and counting.

Imo Obama tries his best but it is not good enough. The problem is he painted himself as the next Saviour and man above politics.

Of course President Bush was terrible, but Obama will likely put down as a great disappointment in history so far.

Also, I find it hilarious how people call for the military to be cut 80%. No great power in history has ever existed that did not have a strong military. Even with economic decline, the US still holds great power and influence over the world through its military. The 2nd the US forgets about the miltary it will simply become a country like Japan.

Coca-Cola said:

You might love Obama or hate him, but he is true to his promise - changing America.  I personally am afriad of our future.

1.  Obama is one cocky man, he says he makes all the right decisions.  He is the captain of the ship that is going through some tough weather.  See, it's not his fault - though I believe he is the one that is navigating us to the iceburg.  

2.  He doesn't want the pipeline from Canana to Texas?  Why?  It would create over 20,000 jobs.   He cares more about environment, though the risk is very minimal, than jobs.  All the while China is drilling off Florida.     http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/china_starts_oil_drilling.html     China also says they are beefing up their military for war, Bill Gates is there to help them build nuclear reactors?   

3.  Obamacare will cost America 100,000 jobs in January.  I want free healthcare - cause i'm spending over $1000 a month for health insurance that only covers part of my family's cost.  But I don't like the fact that over 100,000 people will lose their job.  http://news.yahoo.com/obamacare-mandate-kicking-insurance-agents-curb-165451856.html

4.  Occupiers are now attacking our ports.  Obama should tell the police to their job and get rid of em so people can go to work and do their job!  

5.  Our drone goes down and he asks Iran to hand it back??????!!!!!????  WTF.  And how did the drone go down in Iran?  What was it's mission?  Why is that picture of the drone show that it is not even scratched?  Did he give it to them?  Maybe he thinks that if we worked with Iran, then they will be nice.  

6.  He pulls the troops out of Iraq giving Iran more power.  Now Iran will show the world how powerful they are by having Military drill that will seal off the Strait of Hormuz - that should bring up our oil prices a little.    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/12/13/iranian-official-threatens-military-drill-sealing-off-strait-hormuz/   And once the troops pull out of Iraq, I'm sure there will be more chaos.  http://news.yahoo.com/bomb-targeting-pilgrims-kills-16-iraqs-hilla-142305642.html

7.  Bailing out his friends with our money instead of putting them in jail.  

8.  N. Korea is making missle able to hit U.S.  Obama is not a strong leader.  He wants to make peace with the world, while they are threathening us.

9.  Last of Raptor Aircraft was delievered.  many jobs lost there too.  The plane was too good for it's own good.  http://www.myfoxla.com/dpps/news/last-f-22-raptor-rolls-off-assembly-line-dpgonc-km-20111213_16373076

10.  Obama's Thanksgiving speech did not mention 'God' at all.  Not even, God bless America.  I doubt he is a Christian.  If he isn't, then he should just say  he isn't,  I personally don't care.  but after being attacked by Perry he goes to church with his family.  http://www.myfoxla.com/dpps/news/last-f-22-raptor-rolls-off-assembly-line-dpgonc-km-20111213_16373076

Again, you might like the change in America, but I think it's not good.  

fox's dont make kool-aid with out tainting it with whiz.

1. statistic show that we are better than we would be but its just not fast enough.  why?  because republicans dont want it to be.  their number 1 priority isnt jobs or the economy just making sure obama is a 1 term president.   directly out of the mouth of those turds

2. it wont create that many jobs.  the numbers were fudge the study was paid for by the pipeline owner.  only 50 permanent 500-1500 construction jobs. 

3.  healthcare passing costing jobs is a joke.  nobody will know the impact until it happens.  is 100k jobs worth 200k dying because of no healthcare.

4.  most port workers are unionized do you really care lol

5. this is so laughable i wont respond

6.  liz cheney is that you?

7.  really?  youre worrying about bailing out the auto industry saving jobs but not worrying about things like oh the oil companies getting subsidies that the republicans refuse to get rid of even tho they dont pay taxes and still jack up the oil prices.

8.  so what do you want to do start war with another country?  lets just attack everybody 

9.  so now its blame obama because you wet your pants when you were a kid i guess.

10.  he didnt mention God?  not many people in america that calls themselves christian are christians especially republicans even Jesus talked about those that said they did all this stuff in his name.  He told them I never knew you.

The problem with Obama is not the fact is done so much wrong, it's the fact he hasn't been able to do most of what he wanted to do.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I don't like getting into political debates on the internet, but I do like to chime in with some facts, links, and opinions when I read something like this. So...

2. Well, first, it's not 20,000 jobs. The company building this pipeline was estimating the jobs on an annual basis, in other words it's actually 10,000 jobs over two years. Further more, studies from the State Department and the Cornell University's Global Labor institute indicates that even this is an overestimate, and more along the lines of 6,000 to as little as 2,500 jobs. These jobs will also only be temporary, meaning once the job is finished in a year or two these people will be looking for work elsewhere anyway. In the end only around 200 permanent jobs are estimated to be created from this project. There are other ways to create 6,000 permanent jobs without worrying about the environmental impact of tar sands extraction, which is the primary concern here and primary reason it's not being fast tracked. It's in Obama's interest to create as many jobs as he can. It's not in his best interest to stop them unless there's good reason.

Sourceshttp://www.keystonepipeline-xl.state.gov/clientsite/keystonexl.nsf?Open
http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/news/092811_GLI_study_finds_Keystone_XL_pipeline_will_create_few_jobs.html

3. An unfortunate side effect of reigning in private health insurance price gouging. The whole point of the Affordable Care act is to...make health care more affordable, and in the health insurance industry, that's going to result in job loss. But at the same time, health insurance is now going to be cheaper for the entire US population, meaning more money in their pockets to spend on other things. 100,000 job losses is never good, especially in this economy, but neither is the health insurance industry giving it's executives ridiculous bonuses for profiting more and more at the expense of their customers. This ensures that, while they will have some overhead, they will be forced to spend most of their income on what their supposed to be doing: namely, paying for people's hospital bills. In the long run, this is a good thing.

4. This is just....I don't even....why? The police are already doing that. Obama doesn't need to tell them to "do" anything. They already are. Is this a Fox News talking point or something? I've seen the videos, the police don't need any "commands" from Obama to do anything. If anything the cops need to tone it down. Stop arresting people for taking photos, stop arresting people for tweeting, stop pepper spraying people who aren't doing anything to warrant it (though, by all means, pepper spray anyone acting violently. Movement doesn't need them)

5. Wha...? Fox News talking point again? No, Obama isn't working with Iran. Yes, CIA runs drone missions in Iran. That's how it ended up there.

6. It was George Bush taking down Saddam Hussein that gave Iran power. Anyone who studies in world politics will tell you that. The old Iraq was the primary balancing force that kept Iran in check, and now that we've taken them out as a power in the region, the whole balance of power in the region has been screwy. Furthermore, the plan to pull the troops out of Iraq at this time was originally initiated by Bush. Finally, the primary reason why we are even leaving, is because Iraq refused to grant immunity to our troops beyond this time frame. It would have been irresponsible to not withdraw, regardless of what Iran did. And frankly, we had to. This is an expensive ass war that wasn't needed to begin with, and we had a very small amount of our population participating in it, meaning we had troops going back in again and again for several tours of duty in a row. It was time for it to end.

http://theelectionreview.com/iraq-failed-talks-over-soldiers%E2%80%99-immunity-led-to-u-s-withdrawal/

7. I take it your talking about his friends on Wall Street? Totally agree. Shows how much of a hold they have on politics, I'm afraid. Though I'm not sure that'll be true for too much longer.

8. So you would have us..what? Make war with North Korea? You realize they have the largest standing army on Earth, right? Any kind of war with them would be brutal, long, and one the US would likely ultimately lose, unless they decide to institute the draft, something which would be VERY unpopular. Furthermore, they have nukes, something they successfully tested under the Bush administration. Fact of the matter is, there isn't much we can do about North Korea aside from diplomacy, which can be tricky, as the failure of the Agreed Framework during the Bush administration kind of showed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreed_Framework

9. As I understand it, the F-22 was discontinued because it wasn't being used in any militaristic capacity. Furthermore, it was the Bush administration, not the Obama administration, that initially proposed ending production. They wanted to cap it at 183 planes. The Obama administration would eventually cap it at 187. If they aren't being used, why do we need more? There are better ways to create jobs then making planes we don't really need.

source: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL31673.pdf (you'll have to search for it. type Bush Administration).

10. Right, because Thanksgiving is all about God....oh wait, it's a secular holiday. It's about when the Native Americans helped the Pilgrims survive the harsh New England winter. Thanksgiving has nothing to directly to do with God. He wasn't the one who saved the Pilgrims, it was the Native Americans. Yes, the Pilgrims were seeking religious freedom (well, not really freedom, but I won't get into it), but Thanksgiving itself is not a religious holiday. Furthermore, Obama closed with "God Bless". He's a Christian. He goes to Church. He even had a pastor that he had to throw under the bus because it had become an issue on the campaign. Its hard to have a problem with a pastor without going to Church and being all religious and stuff.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1724383,00.html

This was fun. Considering this thread was supposed to be about "Obama's America", I found myself coming back to Bush's America an awful lot. Weird, huh? Lovely how conservative sources like Fox News and the Daily Caller tend to ignore that stuff.

In any case, I never personally believed in the "change you can believe in" nonsense. It was a campaign slogan and little more. It was always going to be incremental changes that would be criticized and attacked by the Republican party and the conservative media outlets you cited for most of your post. Frankly, I like a lot of what he's done. It aint perfect, but it aint what your complaining about either.

Finnbar said:
So he's Confident, supporting health care, not pushing religion, cares about the environment, and not acting like a douche to the rest of the world. Can this man do anything right?

And jesus why didn't I just say that?

I agree, and we need to ask ourselves sure he has opponents but the great leaders of our past have been able to get things done facing far more adversity.

I think Obama has sort of resigned himself to not doing anything till after the election.

He said pretty much I cannot do anything with a Republican Congress, so I can't fix the economy.

Sure its a good excuse, but its a very defeatist attitude and that is not what good presidents act like.

Obama is not Reagan or even a Clinton, but no other national figure is out there to challenge him properly.