By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 - THE OFFICIAL THREAD! - Now with DLC Trailer on newest Post!

brendude13 said:

With Final Fantasy XIII-2, there are only a small selection of zones and most of them are very small, infact, most of them are just trimmed down areas of Final Fantasy XIII (Oerba, Yaschas Massif and the Archylte Steppe especially). There is no feeling of progression either, you can spend hours in the small sandboxes in Final Fantasy XIII-2 and barely achieve anything. The Gran Pulse section of Final Fantasy XIII is almost as big as Final Fantasy XIII-2 itself, the only difference being, in Final Fantasy XIII it is all connected, being able to walk from Yaschas Massif all the way to Oerba gave me a huge sense of freedom.

I like them both about equal. I loved them both and gave them both a nice score. (I've only done 40hrs in XIII-2 though waiting for Sahz DLC, and bikini lol) so if the sidequests are neat maybe I'll raise it. 

I think you're using linear in a slightly incorrect way. I understand that you can not progress in XIII-2 or feel a sense of progression because you get caught up in silly endeveours. But the fact is, that if you look at the maps in XIII, they are mostly a straight line aside from pulse. And that was kinda the whole point of FFXIII if I remember Toriyama or Kitase, was to funnel you in to progress the story.  

I agree with the small maps being an issue. It was my main issue with 13-2. Pulse I felt was awesome. And cooler in scope than any of the maps in XIII-2. I was dissapointed they didn't have the pulse regions connected. But, the problem there was you only had hunts. And most of the hunts were reskins of other monsters but with more gaudy stats. And there was little character interaction. 

Around the Network

At least 2 story DLCs are already announce guys.

1- Daisuke Watanabe, Lead writer: "At some point, Sazh and his son Dajh got caught in Serendipity, but they came out alive having won a gamble of fate. The full details of this story will be revealed in a planned DLC release."

2- Daisuke Watanabe, Lead writer: "The throne of Etro that appears in The Void Beyond is empty for most of the game. This symbolizes the ever diminishing power of Etro. However, in the ending, Lighting sits on the throne. This symbolizes that the world's very existence relies on her to embody the divine will. As lightning wants to maintain hope, she enters the crystal stasis in order to protect the will of her sacrificed sister, Serah. We are planning a DLC release to reveal the background to this."

Also interesting is his point of view of the secret ending:

Daisuke Watanabe, Lead writer: "Although Caius dies in the final battle, we see him alive in the secret ending. This does not mean that there are multiple versions of Caius that have been manipulating events from a different timeline. Quite the opposite: the Caius that "dies" in Valhalla (a timeless place) is the same one that we see in the secret ending. His is a paradoxical existence that already knows how the battle ends and will still not stop until he reaches that end. His "death" only strengthens his resolve, as even this did not alter the course of events. The goddess died nonetheless, which is what he fought for all along".

Doesnt make that much sense, or should I say a bit too simple, but thats the official reasoning behind the story.

ishiki said:
brendude13 said:

With Final Fantasy XIII-2, there are only a small selection of zones and most of them are very small, infact, most of them are just trimmed down areas of Final Fantasy XIII (Oerba, Yaschas Massif and the Archylte Steppe especially). There is no feeling of progression either, you can spend hours in the small sandboxes in Final Fantasy XIII-2 and barely achieve anything. The Gran Pulse section of Final Fantasy XIII is almost as big as Final Fantasy XIII-2 itself, the only difference being, in Final Fantasy XIII it is all connected, being able to walk from Yaschas Massif all the way to Oerba gave me a huge sense of freedom.

I like them both about equal. I loved them both and gave them both a nice score. (I've only done 40hrs in XIII-2 though waiting for Sahz DLC, and bikini lol) so if the sidequests are neat maybe I'll raise it. 

I think you're using linear in a slightly incorrect way. I understand that you can not progress in XIII-2 or feel a sense of progression because you get caught up in silly endeveours. But the fact is, that if you look at the maps in XIII, they are mostly a straight line aside from pulse. And that was kinda the whole point of FFXIII if I remember Toriyama or Kitase, was to funnel you in to progress the story.  

I agree with the small maps being an issue. It was my main issue with 13-2. Pulse I felt was awesome. And cooler in scope than any of the maps in XIII-2. I was dissapointed they didn't have the pulse regions connected. But, the problem there was you only had hunts. And most of the hunts were reskins of other monsters but with more gaudy stats. And there was little character interaction. 

I might be tearing into the game, but that's only because of my frustration about the story and how bland the game feels compared to Final Fantasy XIII. Don't get me wrong though, they have improved a lot of things and I do think it is a better game, it's just not a better experience like Final Fantasy XIII was for me.

You're right, I am starting to stray away from the definiton of "linearity". You're also right that other than Pulse, the map is like a long line, but the point I'm trying to get across is that I never really felt any need to deviate from that line. I would rather cover a mile in a straight line rather than run around in a 100m square area, you get to see a much larger area, even if you can't explore it.

brendude13 said:

I might be tearing into the game, but that's only because of my frustration about the story and how bland the game feels compared to Final Fantasy XIII. Don't get me wrong though, they have improved a lot of things and I do think it is a better game, it's just not a better experience like Final Fantasy XIII was for me.

You're right, I am starting to stray away from the definiton of "linearity". You're also right that other than Pulse, the map is like a long line, but the point I'm trying to get across is that I never really felt any need to deviate from that line. I would rather cover a mile in a straight line rather than run around in a 100m square area, you get to see a much larger area, even if you can't explore it.

You do have a valid point here, I tend to agree.  FF13 in the end has more environments.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Around the Network

Haha, DLC spoilers (not story-wise, but content wise (length etc). from the japanese version. But if your on the fence read what I said and this.
http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantasy-xiii-2/forum/sazh-dlc-walkthrough-japanese-62089585/?page=0

The dlc's supposed to be like 40-45minutes haha. It's kinda a waste of money. With 2 new card games that you can't play with serah and noel apparently.  It also shows  one of those 3 locations at the start of the timeline (I havent' plat'd) it so I assume theres 3 greys. Which would suggest 1 more DLC. This is why I don't think FFXIII-2 is going to have a substantial DLC and the ending to the series will be 13-2 or not at all. I expected this since it's only 5 dollars. And their just fights  dlc were 3 dollars. I didn't assume you'd magically get a lot more content. It's like ME2's first DLCexcept without kasumi's witty banter as a party member.I'm not mad at square,because I don't get mad over these kinda things and you don't have to buy it. but its kinda pointless to anyone who's done with the game. imo.I'd rather they just save everything for the next game. (if it happens).  I'm buying the bikini though lolfor sidequesting! lol

@Ishiki;

Wait, i CANNOT play the minigames with Serah and Noel? But.. can i play them for fun once i am done? o:

the DLC beeing only 45 minutes is pretty short, but then again, its at a fair price point if yer ask me.

@offtopic:.

guys... i made a huge mistake.. i rewatched the Versus XIII trailers...
seriously Square, just take my life, my Money, my Soul... whatever you may want, i'd also work for free at your company, bringing Coffee to everyone, wearing a shirt that says "Worthless western scum"... but GIMME THAT DARN GAEM!

*Thinking of making an official thread for this one once relevant information pops up and there isnt one already*

,.. also, Nomura stated not so long ago, that Square plan's event Demos.. hopefully well see some stuff at E3.. and i might think of slaughtering People if they do some fucking stupid stuff, like the closed theatre again.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Crystalchild said:
@Ishiki;

Wait, i CANNOT play the minigames with Serah and Noel? But.. can i play them for fun once i am done? o:

the DLC beeing only 45 minutes is pretty short, but then again, its at a fair price point if yer ask me.

@offtopic:.

guys... i made a huge mistake.. i rewatched the Versus XIII trailers...
seriously Square, just take my life, my Money, my Soul... whatever you may want, i'd also work for free at your company, bringing Coffee to everyone, wearing a shirt that says "Worthless western scum"... but GIMME THAT DARN GAEM!

It's not unfair. I'm buying the more unfair item haha. But, most DLC in general seems to have a high price/quality content ratio with exceptions.

I'm not sure, I haven't played it. I put in a link with videos and stuff (I only watched the non-story parts). Apparently you can only play them with sahz in that new timezone. But can't get coins idk.

I'll probably just play the game again in year (like I do with most RPG's I like), and get the rest of the DLC comes on sale.

To be honest, i considered buying the Swimsuit. :P but nah, i dont need this. i may just be a horrible human beeing, but i have to admit that it might actually distract me while playing. so i wont buy it.
(But Noels new Suit looks cool, too. *_*)
and by the way, if you wear alternative costumes, like every second NPC will talk about what a handsome guy Noel is.. seriously, u silly japanese. (silly, because THIS is a handsome guy.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgQlSqzaas&feature=channel_video_title... i could stare at him all day long. ;D)

Buuut all of that aside, i cant wait for tomorrow, to get my hands on the DLC.

I bought, the damn guardian outfit on accident. eh, thats what I get for not reading what I'm buying XD