By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Haha oooookay. Someone really loves their Macs.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

At least the PC guy would have friends :P

Yes

BenKenobi88 said:
Haha oooookay. Someone really loves their Macs.

To be fair, it's only from experience.

I've dealt with just about every OS out there: DOS, win3.1-4.0, WinNT Server, NeXT,  BeOS, Red Hat, Unix, etc. I'm not talking about time spent on one side of the fence. I've installed and run most of these on servers over the years and had to troubleshoot for some of them.

Mac OS 9 was...terrible. In fact, everything before OSX suffered a lot of the same problems similar windows builds did, viruses included.

But OSX is king, and when I say "king", I mean that a Mac running OSX is the ONLY computer I'll recommend to my computer-clueless relatives to own because then I get 2 tech calls from them a year, tops.

From Mac OS 1-9, Mac OS was a preference. Now, it's a necessity for me.

ion-storm said:
At least the PC guy would have friends :P

Misery loves company?

But seriously, any one of those PC guys could be an Ace Rimmer in disguise and you'd have absolutely no idea... 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

epsilon72 said:
There's always osx86.... :)
clicky

You know, I've always been pretty tempted to try this. At the end of the day, though, I'd rather not brick my OS X partition because I was using unsing unsupported hardware.

If I had all the money in the world for hardware, though, I'd love to have both a Macintosh and a Hackintosh.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Words Of Wisdom said:
famousringo said:

Since you asked, I do go to sites that would riddle a PC with viruses, because I know that the malware out there which does target the Mac platform still requires an admin password to any actual harm. I have a bit of a morbid curiosity about what methods these sites use to lure dupes and enslave their computers. It'll probably bite me in the ass one day. :)

There is no security that can stop a stupid user.

The best solution to virus/malware problems is educating the user however it is also the hardest.

This is true, however it's also my job to deal with infected computers if the issue should ever arise. We do have AV software, but AV software isn't invincible.

And I do have an awful lot of users who are, shall we say, education resistant.

If I ever manage to infect a computer, I'll consider it a training exercise. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
ion-storm said:

You could if you really wanted buy a bluetooth card for your windows machine and use a wiimote on it. I don't see how this is a selling point for mac. For that matter you could also use a sixaxis, or a 360 controller.

As a side note I would say buying electronic equipment because "it looks good" usually means you get the shaft spec wise. Not always, but in general. Anyways there is only one mac that actually looks good. A mac pro. The rest look like some sort of fisher price "my first computer" insult to the computer world.

re the WiiMote,

I didn't say you can't have Bluetooth on a PC. I just mentioned it because it's an $20 extra value in an iMac that was not listed in Ben's comparison. And I mentioned the WiiMote for people who have no idea why they would use Bluetooth at all. I could also mention wireless keyboards and mouses or your mobile phone. Bluetooth has several uses.

The iMac also comes with Firewire for your video camera or external hard drive. I'm just mentioning the feature. You don't have to tell me that you don't need any of that fancy stuff. There's a big difference between "I don't need this feature" and "I could get the same features for half the price". If you don't need the features, fine, than a cheaper machine is for you.

re specs in well designed machines,

This is kind of contradicting your first paragraph. An iMac has lots and lots of extra hardware features and there's never been a Mac sporting Celerons or Pentium 4 processors. The specs are good, except the graphics card, which is great for most users (it does have DVI out after all and does all the eye-candy in Mac OS X that many Vista users don't get on their older machines), but it's not for hardcore gamers.

Oh, by the way.

Regarding games. 

2 of the most mentioned PC games this year were Peggle and Desktop Tower Defense. They both run fine (native) on a Mac. What are you saying? They don't need hi-end PCs? How come they are so much fun and named among best games of the year by many gaming critics?

Civilization 4 and The Sims series also run fine (native), as an example, and World of Warcraft (native). The Mac has lots of native games.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Has anybody else has troube with the new vista updates? I got some yesterday and when my PC restarted I had trouble booting up my harddrive - it's ok now after fiddling with it, but if it was the updates that caused that then it is pretty bad.

reverie said:
ion-storm said:

You could if you really wanted buy a bluetooth card for your windows machine and use a wiimote on it. I don't see how this is a selling point for mac. For that matter you could also use a sixaxis, or a 360 controller.

As a side note I would say buying electronic equipment because "it looks good" usually means you get the shaft spec wise. Not always, but in general. Anyways there is only one mac that actually looks good. A mac pro. The rest look like some sort of fisher price "my first computer" insult to the computer world

The iMac also comes with Firewire for your video camera or external hard drive. I'm just mentioning the feature. You don't have to tell me that you don't need any of that fancy stuff. There's a big difference between "I don't need this feature" and "I could get the same features for half the price". If you don't need the features, fine, than a cheaper machine is for you.

I've had firewire on my pc's since windows 98 se. Firewire is hardly anything to write home about.

Why would you mention a pentium 4? There has never been a windows machine running a power processor. Is it relevant? No. 

Yes

Words Of Wisdom said:
kazadoom said:
WOW's video of that raving lunatic was absolute crap. That stuff never happens, what the heck was that guy talking about. That was about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Nice try dude, but it has to actually be accurate to be funny, and none of that crap ever happens.

So you're saying...

A mac has never crashed.

A user has never been annoyed by the doc bar.

The bouncing effect of the update manager has never annoyed anyone.

The renaming of files has never been a problem.

The drag-shortcut feature has never bothered anyone.

Automatic play of CDs has never been annoying.

A mac has never locked up.

A mac has never killed anyone's inner child.

I'm glad you're so qualified as to make those assertions.

PS:  What's the name of this forum?  

Not in the 14 years that I have used them.  These things may have happened to some people, but that video was like an infomercial where things are completely blown out of proportion. 

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

PC for me!

Macs are cheap knockoffs of PC's.