By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
BenKenobi88 said:

I'm complaining about the cost of a Mac to a custom PC. Why the hell can't I?

I can buy PC components and build a great gaming PC for $700. A Mac that could do the same, even with a standard video card, would likely cost $1500.

Sorry, but there is no incentive for me to ever buy a Mac. You can't play games on them, and even if you boot Windows or something on a Mac, you've spent double what you should have to run a computer.

And for those who talk about Mac security...I dont' even have an anti-virus program on my Windows PC. Ever try not going to sites that'll riddle your PC with viruses? If I did, I'd just have a simple anti-virus program installed, and BAM, problem solved, selling point on Macs gone.

Wow, you're pretty passionate about this aren't you?

I'm not trying to sell you a Mac, I'm just trying to clear up a lot of misconceptions that people have. Such as the misconception that Macs are more expensive than other retail PCs.

Since you asked, I do go to sites that would riddle a PC with viruses, because I know that the malware out there which does target the Mac platform still requires an admin password to any actual harm. I have a bit of a morbid curiosity about what methods these sites use to lure dupes and enslave their computers. It'll probably bite me in the ass one day. :)

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
famousringo said:

Since you asked, I do go to sites that would riddle a PC with viruses, because I know that the malware out there which does target the Mac platform still requires an admin password to any actual harm. I have a bit of a morbid curiosity about what methods these sites use to lure dupes and enslave their computers. It'll probably bite me in the ass one day. :)

There is no security that can stop a stupid user.

The best solution to virus/malware problems is educating the user however it is also the hardest.

WOW's video of that raving lunatic was absolute crap. That stuff never happens, what the heck was that guy talking about. That was about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Nice try dude, but it has to actually be accurate to be funny, and none of that crap ever happens.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Yes

kazadoom said:
WOW's video of that raving lunatic was absolute crap. That stuff never happens, what the heck was that guy talking about. That was about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Nice try dude, but it has to actually be accurate to be funny, and none of that crap ever happens.

So you're saying...

A mac has never crashed.

A user has never been annoyed by the doc bar.

The bouncing effect of the update manager has never annoyed anyone.

The renaming of files has never been a problem.

The drag-shortcut feature has never bothered anyone.

Automatic play of CDs has never been annoying.

A mac has never locked up.

A mac has never killed anyone's inner child.

I'm glad you're so qualified as to make those assertions.

PS:  What's the name of this forum?  

Around the Network

Another happy Mac user here. I converted from XP in 2005. I don't want to get into an argument about it though. It's very much like explaining a Wii to a 360 fanboy.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

BenKenobi88 said:

I'm complaining about the cost of a Mac to a custom PC. Why the hell can't I?

I can buy PC components and build a great gaming PC for $700. A Mac that could do the same, even with a standard video card, would likely cost $1500.

Sorry, but there is no incentive for me to ever buy a Mac. You can't play games on them, and even if you boot Windows or something on a Mac, you've spent double what you should have to run a computer.

And for those who talk about Mac security...I dont' even have an anti-virus program on my Windows PC. Ever try not going to sites that'll riddle your PC with viruses? If I did, I'd just have a simple anti-virus program installed, and BAM, problem solved, selling point on Macs gone.

I was going to respond to this topic, but then I saw this post, and realized you already took the words right out of my mouth. So this is my "Well said Ben." post.

As far as Vista goes, I recently switched for the benefit of Direct X10. It's not great, but it's not bad either... I have yet to experience any bugs with it. It hasn't crashed. As long as you have at least 2GB RAM it won't slow down any of your games. Conclusion: Not worth buying unless you get it for $10 from your college like I did, but not bad either.

Happy Mac user, although I've owned and programmed just about everything. When I want to add software or a peripheral and just have the !@#$@# thing work, I use OS X.

Yeah, were those parody videos trying to be funny or annoying? The first one is not making any sort of clever point-- Macs are not a gaming platform like the PC-- everyone knows this, whats your point? The second is absolute bunk because their message is backwards. Macs have an easier time getting their OS upgraded. Most Windows users upgrade their Windows OS when they buy a new machine. And new OS upgrades actually increase performance, whereas Vista has usually seen a decrease in performance and a major increase in hardware requirements over XP. The third is just a troll message against the open source community. The fourth is... its all just trolling.