By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How should the US deal with Pakistan?

Bomb them all. For the Lord knoweth them that are His.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

but out of the affairs of other countries

o_O.Q said:
but out of the affairs of other countries

It's a little bit late for that.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I would say cut Aid like most people here have said. And i to think we should become a more friendly ally to India.

NobleTeam360 said:
I would say cut Aid like most people here have said. And i to think we should become a more friendly ally to India.

This.

Dont respect me or the human rights (though, thats not the case in this thread but neverthless)?

Dont deserve my financial help.

Easy as that.

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

Around the Network

Wow, you guys have all provided awesome answers:

"We bombed their people, so we should pull all aid from the country and nuke them to shit, because nuking people is the proper response to everything! And just pretend that they did something wrong!"

Seriously guys, grow up...

Sorry if you guys disagree with this, it's just how I feel about it.

What they should do with the entire Middle East, leave. Enough american lives and money have been wasted in that region

badgenome said:
Pull all aid to Pakistan and say, "Hey baby, what's up?" to India.

I've long advocated this position, because i've thought for the longest time that we were backing the wrong horse in that scenario. It's odd that the country the Soviets picked and the country we picked in the Cold War, the one the Soviets picked ended up better off and far more democratic on the whole (aside from an incident of Martial law under Indira Gandhi, and granting that she was the elected leader anyway, they've been democratic from the getgo, while Pakistan has had Zia ul-Huq and Musharraf to deal with)

I am wondering what Pakistan will do at this venture, however. My head tells me it's going to blow over, and this is just a temporary suspension to show how pissed off they are, but if Pakistan does bar our access to Afghanistan, that'll be the end of it, because you can't get there without going through either Russian, pro-Russian, Chinese, or Iranian airspace if Pakistan is off the table, and that's only if we consider air-lifts and none of the kinds of supplies that need ground transport

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Kasz216 said:

Invade it. Obviously. No, seriously though... nothing really. I mean, the US is basically 80-90% in the wrong here.

The only thing really that was Pakistan's fault was the whole "Osama Bin Laden has been dead for years, the US just shipped him in to make us look bad" thing.

It's not just this one incident. The US has basically treated Pakistan as if it were an Autonomous region of the Untied States or something.

Bush used to lead commando strikes into Pakistan without their support... and now under Obama, we've sent COUNTLESS drones in without apporval and invaded their airspace to take out terrorists in their own backyard via helicopters!

I mean, how would you feel Joel, if Russia sent helicopters in, violating the Canadian Airspace, landed in Calgary, shot up some exiled Checynian leader and some Canadian citizens who were aiding him, then fled Canadian airspace before the Canadian air force could react, all without informing Canada?

Let ALONE killing Canadian soldiers or sending in airstrikes into canada to take out threats to Russia.

Well actually in the case that the Checynian leader was directly responsible for the deaths of 3,000 citizens of the international community as well as dozens of other deadly attacks within Russia and around the regions in which his organization operates. I really wouldn't mind all that much, in fact I would be fairly upset that the Canadian Government allowed him to live in Canada in the first place.

Then if I found out that this Checynian leader was living in a military town in an area where the Canadian Government should have known he was. I would be furious as to why the Canadian military and police had not acted earlier, especially if the leader had international warrants from Interpol. Fact is Canada is a democracy not a terrorist state and aiding or ab-bedding a terrorist and/or his organization is unacceptable. Regardless of who's country he belongs to or the citizenship he carries.

Now sending air strikes targeting my countries soldiers on the other hand would be an outrage and I would demand justice. I would also demand a good explanation it would be a tad understandable because my countries borders are often used by terrorists but I would still be vehemently upset that my soldiers were killed.

Lastly the US military was responsible for more Canadian military deaths in the first year in Afghanistan then the Taliban or Al-Qaida were. The US injured 11 Canadian soldiers killing four of them in one day. If you count commonwealth forces in Iraq and Afghanistan killed by American friendly fire you see tons of deaths then add in all friendly fire among Nato forces and you see a shit load of dead. Fact is friendly fire occurs and often we don't realize it till after the attack. If American forces came under attack by what they thought were Taliban in an area know to have tons of Taliban and they called in air support on the structures the attack was iminating from. It was an honest mistake though one the US should have realized and the air strikes should have stopped far earlier then they did.

P.S- America never apologized for killing those four Canadian soldiers or injuring the other 8. In fact I haven't heard the US Government apologize for any friendly fire operations. In this case I think an apology is necessary!

I never said I don't think Pakistani's have no right to be angry, rather that it is in both the US's and Pakistani's best interest to mend relationships fast.

Pakistan relies heavily on US aid for its military. Those soldiers America killed were probably trained , equipped and paid with American money. Fact is the Pakistani Government would have been toppled years ago if it wasn't for the US propping them up with military and humanitarian aid. At the same time America can't pull aid from Pakistan completely, Pakistan has nukes and if the Government were to fall those nukes would end up in terrorist hands. An invasion or conflict with Pakistan could lead to those nukes finding their way to the black market.

If the US is going to pull aid then they need to secure Pakistan's nukes. That would mean invading Pakistan with elite Seal teams to secure the nuclear devices ahead of a larger scale invasion and extraction. All of the nukes would need to be secured and extracted something that would cost thousands of lives of American soldiers, billions to trillions of dollars and could still fail to contain the nuclear threat.

Essentially the US can't have Pakistan collapse.

What I think needs to be done.

A) An official apology and not one made by the military command in Afghanistan but from the American President himself. Not an apology for the Bin Laden operation but the killing of Pakistani soldiers.

B) A fall guy needs to be arrested by the military police and sentenced for negligence. Unfortunately somebody needs to take the blame for this thing and it can't lead to higher ups it needs to be a lower level soldier but not too low. Finding a person who is guilty of this crime but not high enough up the chain of command to do real damage to the US military or its reputation. He needs to be tried in American military court and serve his sentence in America with a dishonorable discharge. Yah it sucks ass to be the soldier but someone needs to be held responsible and it can't afford to jeopardize America's global operations and reputation.

C) Compensation needs to be paid to the families of the fallen soldiers. Say 100,000 USD each but the US should investigate and watch to make sure the money isn't sent to Al-Qaeda or the Taliban. Offer future financial help and counseling to the victims families to ensure that America is shown to take responsibility for her mistakes.

D) More joint operations in the future. No don't stop drone flights rather notify the Pakistani's if your about to conduct one. If you think the ISI will tip off the terrorists notify someone within the Government you trust. Maybe target some individuals wanted by Pakistan hiding in Afghanistan. Tell Pakistan you know what if you allow us to continue targeting Taliban in Pakistan we will return the favor by targetting Pakistani Taliban and insurgents in Afghanistan and abroad.

E) Take some of the military aid given to the Pakistani Government and give it directly to the people. I'm not talking taking enough to make a real negative difference in the military just enough that it can be used to help boost America's image. Maybe fund some Mosque's being built a couple schools. Maybe fund more moderate Muslim organizations and maybe even offer some humanitarian aid to the every day civilians themselves. Imagine the US embassy giving out free food or having big parties for the public.

Fact is this whole don't intervene in others affairs is illogical. We live in a globalized society where every decision a country makes effects those around the whole world let alone the region. If the US does not intervene in other countries affairs it will end badly for the country. Nukes from Pakistan or terrorist organizations in the middle east or pirates in North Africa. These all affect the United States in a profound way and if the US fails to intervene someone else will (Like China/Russia) and those countries will benefit immensely from their interventions!

Lastly the question that said Nato forces were the ones responsible. At the moment the man in charge of Nato forces in Afghanistan is an American commander and the Nato forces operating in the area are mostly American. Any use of air power would have been directly facilitated by the US Air Force.

Calling the force Nato is to save face and try to show solidarity. Nato doesn't want the US shouldering all of the blame and the US doesn't want to look completely guilty.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Millenium said:

Wow, you guys have all provided awesome answers:

"We bombed their people, so we should pull all aid from the country and nuke them to shit, because nuking people is the proper response to everything! And just pretend that they did something wrong!"

Seriously guys, grow up...

Sorry if you guys disagree with this, it's just how I feel about it.

lol yup, nuking/bombing down whoever that doesn't share your same philosophy or ideology seems to be the general concensus *facepalm*