By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: 960k 360's sold during Black Friday Week in U.S

This seems to be an expensive "black-friday"-victory for MS. The Xbox360 price sometimes was lower than the wii prices.

Microsoft has lost again millions of dollars on black friday and nintendo has made another few millions earnings.

Around the Network
z101 said:
This seems to be an expensive "black-friday"-victory for MS. The Xbox360 price sometimes was lower than the wii prices.

Microsoft has lost again millions of dollars on black friday and nintendo has made another few millions earnings.

Why is everyone suddenly coming up with this uninformed mess of an opinion?

The baseline 360 has been $199 for three+ years, and it gets deals for $149, Kinect is cheap to manufacture for them, and overall they have the best attach rate plus Live revenue/profit in the U.S, it's likely they made the most profit this BF, by a margin, as NPD always shows. Wii however was $50 cheaper this BF yet again, has the awful strong yen bringing down profits, and had those retailer deals, fresh on a price cut, (I might add, the 2nd price cut since MS cut the 360)

You couldn't actually be more wrong.

And I'm not even going into how the 3DS makes a loss for Nintendo on every unit sold, seriously ..

Unlikely that MS lost any money at all, with production cost constantly going down, the Xbox 360 & Kinect are not very expensive to manufacture at all.

And is always the case with every system, it's the software where you get your real profits, and considering MS is doing very well in that department this year, as well as Xbox Live still growing, so they made most likely made money this Black Friday, maybe even more than Nintendo & Sony in the gaming department.

We'll know once we get revenue figures again.

Seece said:
z101 said:

Why is everyone suddenly coming up with this uninformed mess of an opinion?

The baseline 360 has been $199 for three+ years, and it gets deals for $149, Kinect is cheap to manufacture for them, and overall they have the best attach rate plus Live revenue/profit in the U.S, it's likely they made the most profit this BF, by a margin, as NPD always shows. Wii however was $50 cheaper this BF yet again, has the awful strong yen bringing down profits, and had those retailer deals, fresh on a price cut, (I might add, the 2nd price cut since MS cut the 360)

You couldn't actually be more wrong.

And I'm not even going into how the 3DS makes a loss for Nintendo on every unit sold, seriously ..

I thought you'd know him better. He cannot stand it when there are good news about MS and Sony products.

Quite awesome sales. I knew the preview was kinda off with only 600k for the 360.

btw. I fixed your link Seece :)

so cool, especially for such an old console!!

Microsoft did an amazing job making the high performance hardware so early and giving it so many features : )

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

i failed lol

Daang that is a lot of systems in 24 hours.

z101 said:

Interesting. You do remember when this year started Wii suggested retail price in US was $199.99.  The 360 suggested retail prices for the 360 were between $199.99 and $399.99 depending on the SKU.

Fast forward to this November. Wii suggested retail price reduced to $149.99 and 360 still the same as the start of the year.  OK now there were marketing related incentives given by MS and Nintendo this BF.  After all Walmart sold a bunch of the 500K Wii's sold this BF. I would suggest that a huge percentage of the Wii's sold this year on BF were at the $99.99 price point.   So doubtful that MS marketing costs were that drastically different then Nintendo when you take into account Nintendo already dropped the price by $50.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Jazz2K said:
IvorEvilen said:
I find it odd how demand around where I'm at differs so vastly from the majority of the United States. I went to three stores at 10, 12, and 5 in order to finally grab a PS3. It and the 3DS were the first items to sell out at all locations (normally the PS3, with the 3DS shortly following), yet it seems like Wii and the 360 were the winners of the week.

I must have crummy luck... it's a good thing I was only going for a new PS3.

You got to realise that there wasn't the same amount of PS3s as there was 360s. Like as soon as they sell 360s they had plenty in the backstore waiting to replace the sold ones. The same thing couldn't be said about the PS3 where if they sold 100 that's all there was to sell and it went out of stock while after 100 360s they still had another 100 ready to be sold and people thought PS3s must sell better since there wasn't much units on shelves.

That's why shipping is very important during this time of the year. It's easy to run out of stock and if demand is there they'll ship more, that's what Microsoft did, demand for Kinect was there so they shipped way more than both Sony and Nintendo.

Well, if that's the case, then this would be a situation of Sony miscalculating demand...?  I would imagine Sony would have the means to ship just as much hardware as Microsoft (although, shipping as much as them to the US wouldn't make sense,  i know).

I'm just saying, I didn't enjoy waiting three times in one night :(

I don't think it's Sony's fault for undershipping. It has more to do with demand for MS Xbox and Kinect being way higher than Sony's PS3. 360 now touch the casual gamers more than they did before and some of those people that bought a Wii now buy a 360. Kinect is really good for casuals, parties and so on. Expect 360 to sell a lot this Christmast in the Americas.