By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: 960k 360's sold during Black Friday Week in U.S

dsage01 said:
Seece said:
dsage01 said:
Seece said:
so with our numbers putting PS3 flat yoy, the 360 should erode the gap 500k+ this week?

The numbers shown on te Preview for the 360 was  terribly off. I expect PS3 to sell 600k this week just in the U.S.A. And for the WW numbers why aren't you including Canada, South America e.t.c. is it really that hard to track? 

You expect PS3 to do in 1 week in the US what it did for the entire month last Nov, and then some? No. When are you gonna face it, PS3 just isn't that popular in the U.S.

And stop moaning to me about what we're tracking and what we arnt, I'm getting sick and tired of it.

LOL you really are funny. I don't think anyone in VGC thinks PS3 is popular in the U.S.A. Of course it dominates in Europe and Japan and Others ( edit: I frogot that one was taken out). And if you look at last year and this year's PS3 deals there is a huge difference. And I'm basing it on how the PS3 sold this year in the U.S.A. so far no just out of my mind. But I agree 600k does seem a bit high given the fact that PS3 usually has low Novemeber's in the U.S.A. and that's usually 360's best month. I can't say a prediction at the moment but it will sell much better that last years 570k based on the NPD sales on the year so far. The only reason I come to you for the tracking information is becuase you are online really often compared to most of the staff and I know you better than the other staff. If you want me to stop it won't hurt to say it politely would it?

Actually the PS3 doesn't dominate in Europe in comparison to the 360...at least not right now.

http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/weekly.php?reg=Europe&date=40867

PS3 144,677 (-14%) 21,760,600
X360 138,787 (-11%) 18,631,247

Around the Network

Those are crazy sales. MS had alot of good deals this week, that were better than the ps3 in my opinion. 199 for a 4gb console and kinect + games and a 3months sub to xbox live gold is hard to turn up!! MS knows how to sell when it comes time to do so. Imagine if they had even sent more consoles to retailers?? Alot of stores sold out of those bundles and fast.

MS advertising is so good, all of the best buys in toronto are having demo days this week and next for kinect in store. Im going to go check it out with my gf and we just may end up getting one on boxing day. I love sony and all but they could learn alot from MS!

I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice, I have been denied release. I...I will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge

--Kratos

IvorEvilen said:
I find it odd how demand around where I'm at differs so vastly from the majority of the United States. I went to three stores at 10, 12, and 5 in order to finally grab a PS3. It and the 3DS were the first items to sell out at all locations (normally the PS3, with the 3DS shortly following), yet it seems like Wii and the 360 were the winners of the week.

I must have crummy luck... it's a good thing I was only going for a new PS3.

MS and Nintendo probably just shipped more consoles in anticipation of more demand.

This just goes to show why the holidays are so exciting...

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

does this mean Microsoft is doomed when the numbers drop back to normal after Christmas?

Around the Network

MS had the internal tracking numbers right. They anticipated demand this whole year - people kept laughing at them when every month on their NPD release they said "We expect to be number one overall for 2011" or something similar, no? They knew what deals were going to be run, and they seem to have had the stock in place to back it up. It'll be interesting to see if the 2+:1 ratio over PS3 keeps up the entire holiday.

And as MS likes to point out, the overall spend on the console is much bigger. All those Kinects on top of it. Crazy. Virtually every gamble MS has made has worked in the U.S. Most have worked everywhere else. (None have worked in Japan. LOL )

Love em or hate em, you have to give them credit. Huge market share and mind share gains this gen. Bigger than anyone could've predicted, especially the way the Wii took off. Just think what they could've done had the consoles been more reliable the first two/three years.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

And a question...

Is Sony still losing money on every PS3 sold in America? Between the normal production costs and the yen conversion problems? I thought I read a while back that 360 SKUs were profitable and PS3 was break even except for the yen/dollar problem. Anyone?

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Sony shoudnt have cut price and rather gone for amazing bundles instead....the bundles were a bit lacklustre in comparison to 360 bundles. We dont have official data on Sony's BF numbers but i think theres a good chance that their sales is down year on year.

I must say though the demand for the 360 and kinect is just amazingly high in US :) but the amazing bundles is like the cherry on the top...if ever a consumer was in two minds, a good bundle will convince them to make the purchase.

Although its very easy for me to say this in hindsight. The only reason i can think for the official price cut is because ps3's are stil very expensive in other regions and this recent cut was a worldwide 50$ or equivalent cut.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Extremely good numbers for Microsoft! Including the other regions, they should definitely do 1.1 million that week, probably even 1.2 million, really interested in knowing if software got a good boost for them.

They anticipated demand well, had the stock, and the stores delivered, let's see if it keeps up for the rest of the year!

#fastyxx, I totally agree with you, if they had a working console at launch like they do now, they probably would even have regained all Entertainment Division losses since 2001!

Insane numbers.

I think next year with Halo 4 and a price cut they can repeat this week.

So what about this move closes the gap article ? 750k Kinect sensors in one week is awesome. Heck Kinect alone has a shot to sell 1 million units this week worldwide.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...