By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Six reasons the Xbox is the best system of all time

Lostplanet22 said:

With the Xbox nipping at the heels of the PlayStation 2 during the last generation, 

What?  They have to be joking with statements like these...

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:
Lostplanet22 said:

With the Xbox nipping at the heels of the PlayStation 2 during the last generation, 

What?  They have to be joking with statements like these...

nipping*   Like in taking a toe from PS2.  They are not saying Xbox was close to PS2 sales..

It was a good console but not the best ever. I think PS2 still holds that title.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Yeah, I know people have already said this...

...But in my opinion, three of those points are actually negatives.

The Xbox was certainly an important console from an industry perspective, and you made some pretty good points in your article, almost all of which I agree with except #1... GoldenEye and Perfect Dark were not "party games." We had Mario Party, Mario Kart and Smash Bros for that, thank you very much. If those 2 shooters are considered "party" games... then Halo is the ultimate party shooter because people had ACTUAL parties when playing it!

But in no way does it come anywhere close to being the greatest game system of all time, for the simple fact that it didn't really have that many big exclusive games in the first place other than Halo. All its other notable big games were either PC ports like Half Life 2, Rainbow Six Doom 3 and Chronicles of Riddick, or multiplatform hits like the GTA series and Tony Hawk. Fable and Forza both came too late in the console's life to really make an impact, and they didn't become the massive franchises they are now until their 360 sequels hit.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

wow... best evar... just wow... not even close to best ever.

Did it make a big impact with built in storage, console FPS (really only kicked off due to online), and online play? Absolutely. However, its definitely not in the top 5 of all-time consoles.... maybe top 10... but, not even close to top overall.

1) umm no. Shooters on N64 were just as good as Halo given relative differences in technology. In fact, I'd say Goldeneye was better. Additionally PS1 had multiple dual analog stick shooters.

2) Yes, it was the first to make it successful... across its whole platform. Sega had plenty of highly successful online games on the Dreamcast; Fantasy Star anyone? However, MS integrated it better and added solid community tools.

3) HDD. ummm yeah. I guess it was better but memory cards were cheap and never failed. So... idk. Though MS was first to do it and it does help out even more now with all the multiple media uses consoles have.

4) Purely relative to its competitors. I bet if we researched and asked older devs, they'd pick other consoles as well.

5) I had no issues buying western developed games pre-xbox. EA has always been top dog in publishing or really close with Nintendo or just behind Nintendo.

6) More competition is always good. When Sony entered the market it really hit Sega and Nintendo hard as they were too comfortable. When MS entered, it didn't really affect PS2 as it was already way too dominant. But, overall MS's entry into console gaming has been beneficial to all consumers.

4,5,6 are more on MS than the Xbox and definitely don't argue for a case in xbox being the best ever.

Additionally, I'd argue that Atari, NES, Sega, and Sony have all had consoles that would be considered greater than xbox to those that have played on them all due to other innovations, industry changes, and more importantly GAMES.

2600, NES, Genesis, SNES, PS2, GB, GBA, DS, etc all provided overall more for the consumer... especially game selection. (in no particular order)

Heck, I'd put the 360 above the xbox for a best console vote.

idk bout best console ever its hard to have one since each new gen's HW are vastly superior to the previous

but for the 7th gen i would say so, the only real thing that blemished it was its rrod failure, but i believe this was somewhat even after MS extended its warranty and released the newer model last year that unlike other consoles it actually added features. as we get further along this gen and into next gen more and more will agree that the 360 was like the ps2 for the 7th gen

6 things i would say

1 superior multiplat games

2 superior online and general layout

3 1st with achievements

4 ability for custom soundtrack on all games

5 ability for full game installs, again on all games whats the point of HDD on consoles anyway

6 all around most improved from last gen

Play Me

smroadkill15 said:
That can't be true because according to VGC, PS3 is the best console ever.

then i disagree with VGC

that title would obviously belong to the ps1 or ps2

but what exactly would this person mean by being the best console of all time though?

does he mean "games" wise? does he mean "hardware" wise?

this is one of those "GTFOH" moments :)

BHR-3 said:
idk bout best console ever its hard to have one since each new gen's HW are vastly superior to the previous

but for the 7th gen i would say so, the only real thing that blemished it was its rrod failure, but i believe this was somewhat even after MS extended its warranty and released the newer model last year that unlike other consoles it actually added features. as we get further along this gen and into next gen more and more will agree that the 360 was like the ps2 for the 7th gen

6 things i would say

1 superior multiplat games

2 superior online and general layout

3 1st with achievements

4 ability for custom soundtrack on all games

5 ability for full game installs, again on all games whats the point of HDD on consoles anyway

6 all around most improved from last gen

#4 i remember that being 1 of the few things i liked about the original Xbox compared to the ps2(like you could actually put music on the console)

#6 well seeing how mediocre the original xbox was i would say that any company would have done better than that system

but i do see what you mean on #6 though

smroadkill15 said:
That can't be true because according to VGC, PS3 is the best console ever.

the vgchartz staff have said so?