By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Six reasons the Xbox is the best system of all time

I think those reasons stated just mean the xbox was the most influential console of last generation. A lot of its "radical" new ideas are now heavily being used by the xbox 360, ps3, and even the wii. Wii will probably be the most influential console of this generation due to motion controls. Some people might not like the changes the xbox brought but most do, hence why fps and online gaming are so popular on not just the 360 but the ps3 as well.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
5.) I liked the period when the Japanese ruled the games industry. Not to say I don't like Western games, but that period for me at least was a quality era.

This...

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Well as a person who really, really, really detests the dominance of FPS on consoles this generation, and who doesn't really like FPS as a genre the Xbox's role in popularising FPS on console deserves not praise but vilification. Interestingly, I don't think FPS has done a lot for consoles. Wii is the best selling console this gen and FPS is just about the least popular genre on that system. Aside from CoD FPS is only somewhat popular on PS3, best selling FPS on PS3 after CoD is Resistance FoM at a respectable, but not massive 3.86 million. Though soon to be usurped by BF3. Even on 360 you can only really say CoD and Halo have had wild success.

I would also guess that died in the wool PC FPS fans feel like FPS popularisation on console has held back PC FPS innovation somewhat.

Indirectly though, what FPS moving from PC to console has done is drag other formerly PC only developers to console: Bioware, Bethesda... So I will give Xbox some credit for indirectly bringing non-FPS game developers to console through popularising FPS on console. I am very happy to have been able to play Dragon Age:Origins and Mass Effect 2 on console. WRPGs were OK for what they were on PS2, but true party-based WRPGs was a notable deficit.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Well as a person who really, really, really detests the dominance of FPS on consoles this generation, and who doesn't really like FPS as a genre the Xbox's role in popularising FPS on console deserves not praise but vilification. Interestingly, I don't think FPS has done a lot for consoles. Wii is the best selling console this gen and FPS is just about the least popular genre on that system. Aside from CoD FPS is only somewhat popular on PS3, best selling FPS on PS3 after CoD is Resistance FoM at a respectable, but not massive 3.86 million. Though soon to be usurped by BF3. Even on 360 you can only really say CoD and Halo have had wild success.

I would also guess that died in the wool PC FPS fans feel like FPS popularisation on console has held back PC FPS innovation somewhat.

Indirectly though, what FPS moving from PC to console has done is drag other formerly PC only developers to console: Bioware, Bethesda... So I will give Xbox some credit for indirectly bringing non-FPS game developers to console through popularising FPS on console. I am very happy to have been able to play Dragon Age:Origins and Mass Effect 2 on console. WRPGs were OK for what they were on PS2, but true party-based WRPGs was a notable deficit.

Hello soulmate. Shall we marry tomorrow?

d21lewis said:

I see some innovatations but I have to agreee with the horse.

Wasn't expecting it to sound like that XD - It feels like my head nearly exploded from the ultra sudden laugh - I would've spit out my drink if I'd actually been drinking something :p

Around the Network

"Sure, there was Perfect Dark and GoldenEye, but be honest: those ended up being seen as party games, not game-changing shooters."

I would have to respectfully disagree.

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

BHR-3 said:
idk bout best console ever its hard to have one since each new gen's HW are vastly superior to the previous

but for the 7th gen i would say so, the only real thing that blemished it was its rrod failure, but i believe this was somewhat even after MS extended its warranty and released the newer model last year that unlike other consoles it actually added features. as we get further along this gen and into next gen more and more will agree that the 360 was like the ps2 for the 7th gen

6 things i would say

1 superior multiplat games

2 superior online and general layout

3 1st with achievements

4 ability for custom soundtrack on all games

5 ability for full game installs, again on all games whats the point of HDD on consoles anyway

6 all around most improved from last gen

No 5 , whats the point of HDD on consoles anyway , exactly what MS asked when they made a non HDD model

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I was interested until I realized it was the original xbox. Not even close to the best

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

The author sounds like he just wants a PC.  It did pretty much all those things in the 90's.  Shooters?  Check.  Online gaming?  Check.  Hard Drives?  Check.  Easy to develop for?  Check.  Amazing western support?  Check.  Three horse race?  Well it isn't a console, but it still competes with them.

Best? No. But the Xbox did have some very good elements as noted, particularly the online and social elements, the ease of development and the inclusion of a HDD. It also made a great media centre if you modded it too.

Halo though is SW and could have been just as good on PS2 in principle, so any credit for FPS popularization on console goes to Halo / Bungie more than Xbox itself IMHO, although obviously the approach to online on Xbox helped.

However the Xbox was also responsible for the nerfing on Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2 so it certainly wasn't all good.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...