By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: Final Fantasy may become an action-RPG franchise

What do you think of this?

Good idea 26 22.22%

Bad idea 46 39.32%

Depends 38 32.48%

See results 7 5.98%

Total:117
Mad55 said:
Xxain said:
Mad55 said:
Xxain said:
I have to point something out... lot of ignore in this thread. Action RPGS are not progressive/Evolution of turned based RPGS. They are different styles of RPGS... so because Tekken/Soul Calibur spear headed 3D fighters I guess thats mean 2D fighters shouldn't xxist anymore right?

Thats not what im saying. Though only modifiying the turnbased systems of ff4-10 over and over will not keep people interested in my opinion. ff13 was a step in the right direction it just needs fine tuning and versus looks good so far so i say we see what they do.

Pokemon

Dragonquest

Tales

Star Ocean

Persona

ext

all have modified combat systems based on the original with no issue(other than comestics)

Man all those have different directions for me to speak about but im to lazy. But I will say that if the developers are getting tired of the system why not make a new. If you were a designer would you want to keep doing it the way the nostalgic fans want i see comments all the time "give me ff4-9 battle system and im happy" and thats crazy. tales and personas battle systems changed much more than ff has to me (exclding ff12 and 13) over the years. Would a real time system be so bad though? I mean it fits the series more than not anyway these days.

of course they changed but the Core remains the same <---- thats my point why cant SE do that? Resonace of Fate, Valkryie Profile, Wild arms4-5, Valkryia Chronicles have all shown you can still innovate with a turn based battle system. going  action just to appease mass shooter fans is silly

Around the Network

Wondeful news. Turn-based combat is outdated and boring; the only ones that do turn-based combat fun/intense/strategic are the SMT games, but Strange Journey's was horrible. Move the genre forward, not backwards.

god i hope no more battle systems like ff12, for me that was the worst battle system i have played in over 15 years, i hated that battle system and game. i almost completely gave up on the final fantasy series all together, because of that. i loved final fantasy 8 and 10 battle system's the most in the series so far, ff13 was good, just needs some adjustments to be made too it.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

It seems they have confidence in Versus.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

finished FF type zero last week.
the system is interesting,especially the battle system is playful,but the story telling is as sucky as 13 imo.
if TZ success worldwide,and according to FFV13s battle system,next FF must be an ARPG.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Mad55 said:
Xxain said:
Mad55 said:
Xxain said:
I have to point something out... lot of ignore in this thread. Action RPGS are not progressive/Evolution of turned based RPGS. They are different styles of RPGS... so because Tekken/Soul Calibur spear headed 3D fighters I guess thats mean 2D fighters shouldn't xxist anymore right?

Thats not what im saying. Though only modifiying the turnbased systems of ff4-10 over and over will not keep people interested in my opinion. ff13 was a step in the right direction it just needs fine tuning and versus looks good so far so i say we see what they do.

Pokemon

Dragonquest

Tales

Star Ocean

Persona

ext

all have modified combat systems based on the original with no issue(other than comestics)

Man all those have different directions for me to speak about but im to lazy. But I will say that if the developers are getting tired of the system why not make a new. If you were a designer would you want to keep doing it the way the nostalgic fans want i see comments all the time "give me ff4-9 battle system and im happy" and thats crazy. tales and personas battle systems changed much more than ff has to me (exclding ff12 and 13) over the years. Would a real time system be so bad though? I mean it fits the series more than not anyway these days.

of course they changed but the Core remains the same <---- thats my point why cant SE do that? Resonace of Fate, Valkryie Profile, Wild arms4-5, Valkryia Chronicles have all shown you can still innovate with a turn based battle system. going  action just to appease mass shooter fans is silly

Ok good point, though ff12 and 13 seem to have gone the furthest with turnbased in terms of innovating in the series so if they did keep it id like to see somthing modified from those two systems not the older games. 

For a FF Spin Off it seems good to implement an more action oriented battle system. But for a main FF game it would be worse for me, maybe there more public for action rpg but I love FF for it's pseudo turn based battle system.
I agree the battle system in the last two main FF weren't fun at all (especially XII god what a awful system) but anyway If i want an action RPG I would go for KH or something like that.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

I do like the Kingdom Heart's battle system, but I doubt I will buy another final fantasy game anytime soon unless it is really good.

This seems nice. Never saw the appeal of turn based combat games. Real time is much better in my opinion.

NightDragon83 said:
Face it, FF isn't the powerhouse it once was during the mid-late 90s. This is probably just Square's attempt at recapturing the western audience's attention for JRPGs.

Maybe they should go back and see what made it a powerhouse , because if your right instead of returning to what made it great , they are continuing down the same path hoping that if they change it enough , soon or later it will resonate with gamers,many products have faltered following what is perceived as where gamers tastes and trends are headed and fashioning your game to suit that , whether your game is suitable or not or even needs it.

Why pull apart a successful franchise it's not like action JRPGs are outselling it , if anything sales for the series will likely decline if they continue down this path also having a turn based strategy or hybrid ( I myself would like the choice) , unlike years gone by would likely differentiate it now.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot