By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: Final Fantasy may become an action-RPG franchise

What do you think of this?

Good idea 26 22.22%

Bad idea 46 39.32%

Depends 38 32.48%

See results 7 5.98%

Total:117

As long as it doesnt become like the awful Skyrim or most Western RPG's i dont care.

Around the Network

In other words they will turn it into an FPS...

I'm okay with this. If it's anything like Tales then it should be good. The Tales series has the best battle system when it comes to RPG's imo plus being 4 player co-op just makes it even better.

The problem with SE and how they handled the FF franchise is they have been fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with. This is just more evidence.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

They definitely should dig a bit deeper in the direction XII was going for.

What I want when I play a FF game is control over an entire party, take my time to decide the best course of action in battle, and adjust on the fly with the resources available...  Of course, I also want Bahamut, Ifrit, Odin, Shiva, etc... to kick butts in all their glory...  But when it comes to the core of the battle gameplay, what I want is control.  Not some half-assed twitchy button mashing gameplay that requires barely a brain to handle.

Sadly, for this to ever happen again, S-E would have to renew their creative pool of brains, because the ones at the helm right now are clearly getting out of touch.

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
Mad55 said:

I mean it seems likea natural progression if done right. Look at tales it does real time in a unique way and theres alot of strategy involved. Versus should further prove to people that only want turnbased that real time can be just as good.
I always get confused when people say they want the same battle system from ff4-9. You want the developer to make the same system their entire careers? Thats boring and developers shouldnt have to limit themselves for nostalgia.

didn't tales basically have the same battle system their entire career?

has the tales series system gotten boring yet?

Do you play tales games? They modifty their battle systems every game just like final fantasy, but the pure old school turnbased is a bit archaic and in my opinion 13 had a better battle system than 4-9 it just needed more work and versus will have a great real time system.

My initial reaction: Please God NO!

Reaction after thinking about it: PLEASE GOD NO!

Signature goes here!

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
I'm okay with this. If it's anything like Tales then it should be good. The Tales series has the best battle system when it comes to RPG's imo plus being 4 player co-op just makes it even better.

im not trying to force my opinion on you or anything but why would anybody want Final Fantasy to be like Tales?

i love the Tales battle system but if i want to play something like Tales then i will go out and buy Tales and if i want to play Final Fantasy then i will go out and buy Final Fantasy

it's almost as if the jrpg genre is turning into the fps genre

everybody claims that alot of shooters try to be like call of duty and now the same is basically happening with the jrpgs

like wtf is going on now-a-days?

the tales series took out the WORLD MAP in the series with Graces and Xillia just like the way Final Fantasy did away with the World Map with FF 10

and now of course FF is trying to gain a battle system like Tales -_-

maybe im just thinking too much about all of this..

Mad55 said:
enditall727 said:
Mad55 said:

I mean it seems likea natural progression if done right. Look at tales it does real time in a unique way and theres alot of strategy involved. Versus should further prove to people that only want turnbased that real time can be just as good.
I always get confused when people say they want the same battle system from ff4-9. You want the developer to make the same system their entire careers? Thats boring and developers shouldnt have to limit themselves for nostalgia.

didn't tales basically have the same battle system their entire career?

has the tales series system gotten boring yet?

Do you play tales games? They modifty their battle systems every game just like final fantasy, but the pure old school turnbased is a bit archaic and in my opinion 13 had a better battle system than 4-9 it just needed more work and versus will have a great real time system.

YOU GOD DAMNED RIGHT I PLAY THEM!!! lol

the 1st Tales i ever played was Tales Of Symphonia(i loved the hell out of this game)

i played Tales of the Abyss and did not like it for some reason. I wanted Tales of Vesperia badly but of course it is not on PS3 and i will be playing Graces F and Xillia when they arrive :)

now basically you just admitted that Tales modify's it's battle system just like FF but earlier it seemed like you were implying that FF's battle systems have been the same their entire career

or maybe im just thinking too much about this aswell lol

enditall727 said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

im not trying to force my opinion on you or anything but why would anybody want Final Fantasy to be like Tales?

i love the Tales battle system but if i want to play something like Tales then i will go out and buy Tales and if i want to play Final Fantasy then i will go out and buy Final Fantasy

it's almost as if the jrpg genre is turning into the fps genre

everybody claims that alot of shooters try to be like call of duty and now the same is basically happening with the jrpgs

like wtf is going on now-a-days?

the tales series took out the WORLD MAP in the series with Graces and Xillia just like the way Final Fantasy did away with the World Map with FF 10

and now of course FF is trying to gain a battle system like Tales -_-

maybe im just thinking too much about all of this..

it doesnt need to be like tales it can be real time and have its own unique system.  Why should finfal fantasy get to stay in the past with turn based battles but if another franchise doesnt advance its something else. I mean could you explain how you want the battle system to be.