By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: Final Fantasy may become an action-RPG franchise

What do you think of this?

Good idea 26 22.22%

Bad idea 46 39.32%

Depends 38 32.48%

See results 7 5.98%

Total:117
Mad55 said:
enditall727 said:
Mad55 said:

I mean it seems likea natural progression if done right. Look at tales it does real time in a unique way and theres alot of strategy involved. Versus should further prove to people that only want turnbased that real time can be just as good.
I always get confused when people say they want the same battle system from ff4-9. You want the developer to make the same system their entire careers? Thats boring and developers shouldnt have to limit themselves for nostalgia.

didn't tales basically have the same battle system their entire career?

has the tales series system gotten boring yet?

Do you play tales games? They modifty their battle systems every game just like final fantasy, but the pure old school turnbased is a bit archaic and in my opinion 13 had a better battle system than 4-9 it just needed more work and versus will have a great real time system.

Final Fantasy modify their magic system (and sometimes their leveling), not the battle system. The main reason to play any game is good gameplay and that came from the ATB, which was a part of FF between 4-9 and X-2 and worked fine. If it's action based then I presume there is no ATB so other then in some names there's nothing left of Final Fantasy in it. Infact the X-2 had one of the best version of it, adding unique battle structure and magic system to the ATB. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Mad55 said:
enditall727 said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
I'm okay with this. If it's anything like Tales then it should be good. The Tales series has the best battle system when it comes to RPG's imo plus being 4 player co-op just makes it even better.

im not trying to force my opinion on you or anything but why would anybody want Final Fantasy to be like Tales?

i love the Tales battle system but if i want to play something like Tales then i will go out and buy Tales and if i want to play Final Fantasy then i will go out and buy Final Fantasy

it's almost as if the jrpg genre is turning into the fps genre

everybody claims that alot of shooters try to be like call of duty and now the same is basically happening with the jrpgs

like wtf is going on now-a-days?

the tales series took out the WORLD MAP in the series with Graces and Xillia just like the way Final Fantasy did away with the World Map with FF 10

and now of course FF is trying to gain a battle system like Tales -_-

maybe im just thinking too much about all of this..

it doesnt need to be like tales it can be real time and have its own unique system.  Why should finfal fantasy get to stay in the past with turn based battles but if another franchise doesnt advance its something else. I mean could you explain how you want the battle system to be.

Turn based =P

maybe something like FF 10 where it's turn based but quick at the same time

but idk..

This sounds ridiculous - Tales much?

I can see why they said that.

I just don't see how turn based battle systems will work on home consoles this gen and next gen, it seems too dated and it has been done to death.

XIII was a step in the right direction for the battle system, I haven't played XII but apparently it tried something new and succeeded too.

i think it would be cool and i will most likely get if it does! i hate turn based games!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Might as well turn it into an FPS.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

I have to point something out... lot of ignore in this thread. Action RPGS are not progressive/Evolution of turned based RPGS. They are different styles of RPGS... so because Tekken/Soul Calibur spear headed 3D fighters I guess thats mean 2D fighters shouldn't xxist anymore right?

enditall727 said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
I'm okay with this. If it's anything like Tales then it should be good. The Tales series has the best battle system when it comes to RPG's imo plus being 4 player co-op just makes it even better.

im not trying to force my opinion on you or anything but why would anybody want Final Fantasy to be like Tales?

i love the Tales battle system but if i want to play something like Tales then i will go out and buy Tales and if i want to play Final Fantasy then i will go out and buy Final Fantasy

I don't want Final Fantasy to change it's battle system, I think it's fine the way it is. I'm just saying if they do decide to take the action RPG route then the Tales formula is fine with me.

Xxain said:
I have to point something out... lot of ignore in this thread. Action RPGS are not progressive/Evolution of turned based RPGS. They are different styles of RPGS... so because Tekken/Soul Calibur spear headed 3D fighters I guess thats mean 2D fighters shouldn't xxist anymore right?

Thats not what im saying. Though only modifiying the turnbased systems of ff4-10 over and over will not keep people interested in my opinion. ff13 was a step in the right direction it just needs fine tuning and versus looks good so far so i say we see what they do.

Face it, FF isn't the powerhouse it once was during the mid-late 90s. This is probably just Square's attempt at recapturing the western audience's attention for JRPGs.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.