By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

#1. StarCraft (Brood War) (PC)

"This is not WarCraft in space!"

Warcraft II was my first Blizzard game, it was very very good but there were some issues with it, the main one being that both races felt pretty much the same. That issue was addressed brillantly in StarCraft, the game's three races were completely different from each other and not just in the spell department, units, heatlh, buildings, construction methods all differed from race to race.

In the campaign mode, you were treated to a exciting story viewed from the point of view of the Terrans, the Zerg and the Protoss. The most interesting part being Kerrigan's story from being betrayed by Mengsk to being reborn as a Zerg to double crossing everyone to become the "Queen Bitch of the Universe".

On the multiplayer front, through multiple patches Blizzard achieved what I believe to be the perfect balance between the three forces thus making all match ups a joy to play. I played countless games online against random opponents and even more games in local multiplayer against my brother in deadly Terran Vs Protoss battles.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

I did it, I finished my list on time!!

Signature goes here!

Scoobes said:
SvennoJ said:

#1 Everquest played on PC, released 1999

List

That was a beautiful story and I can definately see why you didn't play Deus Ex when it came out! Falling in love via Everquest! Amazing!

Thanks. The game was more widely known to break up relationships, but in our case it was the other way around.
There were plenty of couples playing the game, having a group limit of 5 in WoW instead of 6 was a big nuisance when we all switched.

#1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Triforce of the Gods on SNES. Nintendo needs to realize that this is the Zelda to beat and not Ocarina of Time.

Here is my complete list

Games that will problably be on next year list:

- Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)

- Persona 4 (PS2)

- Skyward Sword (Wii) (I'm sure it wont be in the Top 10)

- Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)

- Tales of Graces f (PS3)

- Xenoblade (Wii)

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

PhantomLink said:

#1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Triforce of the Gods on SNES. Nintendo needs to realize that this is the Zelda to beat and not Ocarina of Time.

Here is my complete list

Games that will problably be on next year list:

- Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)

- Persona 4 (PS2)

- Skyward Sword (Wii) (I'm sure it wont be in the Top 10)

- Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)

- Tales of Graces f (PS3)

- Xenoblade (Wii)

That's one awesome game had the Japanese Version since it launched back in June 2010 need to just short out a place in my top50 for i one day^^;

and so is TOGf^^

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Around the Network

I really should finish up my list so I can be all "look at meee, look at my favorites!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

02 - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)

This is seriously one game I'd go out on a limb and call perfect. I don't need to talk about its storied history, and how it was the game that seperated square and nintendo, but the result can't be argued with. Some of the best graphics of all time that still hold up today, some of the best videogame music I've ever heard, perfect combination of charm and sincerity, all backed up by an odd but seamlessly integrated combination of platforming and RPG elements. The world is set up like a platformer, the game is an RPG, it has traditional mario elements as well as its own lore, it has the perfect difficulty curve, plenty of side quests and easter eggs, memorable characters...I could go on but I honestly can't find a single flaw to balance it out. There's a very good reason this is so high on the list, and while Nintendo has tried to recapture the magic with the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi games, nothing has ever or will ever truly compare to this gem.

01 - Final Fantasy VI (SNES, PS1, GBA)

Bask in the glory of Final Fantasy VI. DO IT! why? becuase it's the best final fantasy game to date, and my all time favorite game! I'll tell you a story about it, though. A long time ago, I saw this game on the shelf of my local videogame store and I decided to pick it up because I'd tried everything else and my friend recommended it to me. I hated it. I thought picking your moves instead of DOING Them was stupid, I couldn't understand what to do, I did't care about story in a game (back then), and I sucked at it. It left a sour taste in my mouth, and I decided not to play it anymore. then that same friend told me to play super Mario RPG, claiming it was a nice blend of platforming and RPG elements, so I tried that and fell in love with it. Once I finally beat Mario RPG, he told me to give this game another shot, and I did. What happened? I don't know, but it was like a switch had been flipped. Mario RPG was a nice introduction to the RPG genre and opened my eyes to the glories of turn based combat and story-driven gameplay. I played this again and was hooked for weeks until I finally finished it. By the time it was all said and done, I was a believer, and I turned right around and played it not once more, but three more times before finally retiring it to play something else for once. I have since played through this game a full three dozen times or more, and I've gotten so good at it I can beat it in a weekend (got through most of the world of balance in one sitting). Why do I love this game? Well, why wouldn't I? The protagonists are the most interesting and well developed in ANY game I've ever played, the villain is easily the most memorable and psychotic (I haven't played Suikoden 32 yet, so the jury's still out on Luca Blight), the world was beautiful, the graphics wer simple but surprisingly effective, and the plot was....wow. I know it was generic, but it's all in the presentation and Final Fantasy VI nailed it. Not to mention the Score was easily the best of its time and a strong contender for best of all time (easily in the top 10), there was plenty of side quests, and it was the perfect 'balance' between linear and nonlinear which has not been recreated in a final fantasy game since (Seriously, the world of ruin is nonlinearity incarnate). While it's not perfect, there were a few minor glitches, the game's strong points catapult it into my number 1 position. Hell, this game is so deep that I'm STILL learning new things about it! I just learned for the first time that (spoilers) Shadow is Relm's father! I'm not even kidding! Seriously if you have a GBA or a DS that plays GBA games, get Final Fantasy VI advance, it's the definitive version of this game. I have it on SNES, GBA, PS1, and on the PSN, and would gladly pay for it again if it was rereleased as a PSV title or if they gave it the Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection treatment.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

BOOM! Finished my epic list! Here are my top 5:

#5.

It was difficult for me to decide where this game or Mario RPG reigns supreme as my favorite RPG, but at the end of the day, this one wins by a hair, primarily based off the multiplayer, which adds a new element of fun to an already epic masterpiece. But I also appreciate the fast-paced and simplistic battle system and prefer it over the turn based system of Mario RPG. The elements of brilliance here are standard of many games on my list - amazing soundtrack, colorful and eye pleasing environments, and of course, solid gameplay.

#4.

About a year ago, this game came completly out of nowhere, and dominated almost all others on my list as one of my favorite games. If you are a fan of open-world gameplay, and begin to play this game, you will soon see why. It simply gives you an exhileration of adventure and a feeling of accomplishment that few games can pull off. The world is your oyster - explore anywhere you want, above ground or below, slay anything you want, customize your inventory, collect, build, etc. It is a sandbox game that stands above all the others, not only it the massive worlds and freedom of choice, but the sheer fun this game grants. And let's not forget the memorable and frightening creepers, that put the zombies in Resident Evil to shame.

#3.

Another game that grants you the power to craft - this time with massive sci-fi armies of men or aliens to battle with. Blizzard perfected the real time strategy genre with this game. It has that perfect formula of easy-to-learn-tough-to-master that is a prime ingridient in making a masterful game. It is relatively simple to pick up, yet very in depth and allows for so much customization and is so much damn fun, it's actually been made into a competitive sport in Korea. Any game that can pull THAT off must be pretty damn good..

#2.

While all three Gears of War titles are pretty similar, this latest entry is the clear cut best of the three, and is one of my favorite all time games, with the Gears of War series as a whole easily being my most played series ever. Why do I love it so much? Where to start.. The presentation is masterful, the graphics amazing, the campaign epic (no pun intended), and the story actually somewhat decent. The weapons, in typical Gears fashion, are unique and so damn fun to use. But for me, what makes this game and series immortal is the insanely fun multiplayer, which I have made almost a routine out of playing. It is, simply put, THE definitive go to game for me when I am looking for a boredom killer.

#1.

Like Donkey Kong Country 2, this game took everything that made its predecessor great and radically expanded upon it, creating a much more colorful and memorable universe, that awesome koopa kids, more fun and interesting levels, and kick ass new power-ups like the Tanooki Suit. While the game is no doubt tricky, it just makes it that much more gratifying when you finally do beat it, and adds to the replay value since you spend so much time trying to get over the hurdle. And believe me, you will want to spend MUCH time playing this gem. This is the title that not only got me into Nintendo games, but made me a gamer.

Thus far I've tallied 19 'Top 50' lists. 486 unique games and a lot (a lot) of seemingly random numbers.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Yeah. For the second year running I've chosen the utterly predictable option of Ocarina of Time for my number 1, but it deserves to be there. This game is simply a masterpiece, and it remains Nintendo's finest hour. I know of several gamers who missed this for whatever reason at the time of its release, and who would have loved it just as much as I and many others do, only to eventually play it years later and not feel the same impact as they might have done. I have nothing but pity for those gamers for missing out.

There are so many aspects of this game that make it memorable, but the moment that I'll always remember that cements the brilliance of this game is that moment early in the game when you leave Kokiri Forest to head to Hyrule Castle, and Hyrule Field opens up for the first time in front of you and you realise how much more there is to explore. The feeling that moment gave me will always stick with me. There's also the fact that here and now, 13 years after the games initial release, I will still find myself humming the odd Ocarina tune, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who does that.

Ultimately, Ocarina of Time reminds me what gaming should be about. The thrill of adventure, the joy of exploration, and the chance to play the hero and save the world. So many other games try to do this, but none do it like Ocarina of Time.

VGChartz