By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

Time to finish my beloved list with my top 2 loved games 

Warning : My number one is extremely ovbious

#02 Persona 3 FES/P3P(PS2): Well to be fair Im playing P3P, but the original Persona 3 (And later, P3 FES) is such an amazing and unique game (and a lot of change since Persona 2). You go to school, form bonds  with your schoolmates and in the midnight you have to explore a weird tower and fight weird enemies called shadows how? by shooting your head of course :P

This game, is a fresh take on JRPG while continuing with the amazing story Persona games has.

#01 Final Fantasy VII(PSX): Yes, Final Fantaxy VII (which is better than VI btw :P) is my top game of all time. Be it for nostalgia, the story, Sephirot or because this game is the reason I got into RPGs and Final Fantasy's games.

What more can I say about this game? Everyone knows it, and like or not can't be argued this game is something different.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Around the Network
Smeags said:
Thus far I've tallied 19 'Top 50' lists. 486 unique games and a lot (a lot) of seemingly random numbers.

It's pretty hard putting games from completely different genres in order.
If you want to add up a total score might I suggest assigning score based on the sqrt of it's position, as precise placement becomes more irrelevant further away from the top. score = 1 / sqrt(position)
Or simply how many times a game was mentioned in a top 3 / top 10 / top 50.

486 unique games, means about half of each list is completely unique, nice.

Well back from Mexico and being held up in customs for bring back tamales (*sigh*) well here the last of them. :)

#4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (gamecube) - This game made me feel so relaxed and calm when I was playing through it. Just sailing through the sea and listening to the music was enough to make this game great. Though, this is a Zelda game and with that you get amazing dungeons, clever puzzles, and epic boss fights. The ending is one of the best in any video game that I ever played and its definatly my favorite zelda game.

#3. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - This used to be my favorite game for a long time and until just the last couple years, I never thought that any other game would beat it. What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said...hmmm... Better play this or the Last Guardian will never come out.

#2. The World Ends With You (ds) - Like I said earlier with Rune Factory Frontier, this game was heavily influenced in me buying it by this community. And, I can't thank you enough. I knew that this game would be good, (I liked Chain of memories (Jupiter's previous game)) but I never knew how amazing this uniqwue game was. The story, gameplay, art style,music, everything is perfect in this game and getting the secret ending is just the incentive for the player just for those couple extra seconds to the ending. This game is a masterpiece if I could ever call a game that had everything, but alas it just falls a little short to.....

#1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (wii) - This game is fun in its purest and most concentrated form. It's like they knew the way that they could make galaxy 1 better and they did that and more. The platforming is perfect, the music is amazing with new catchy tunes and remastered, orchestral classics, the power-ups are inventive and fun, the level design is some of the best I have ever played. This game is perfection in my eyes and is a monument to why Mario and Nintendo are still the masters at what gaming can achieve. Miyamoto had so much imagination in his brain that he couldn't fit it all in one galaxy, and for that I thank him.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

28 folks tallied, 618 unique games thus far.

In comparison, I tallied 26 posters last year and 576 unique games.

The thing is... I'm not finished yet, in fact I haven't made it to the second page.

Well I'll be updating mine but since I haven't had a chance in a long time I'll post the new ones as of late here.

1. Skies of Arcadia
2. Pyschonauts
3. Professor Layton CV
4. Portal
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. We Love Katamari
8. 999
9. Catherine
10. Paper Mario TTYD
11. Tales of Vesperia
12. Persona 3 FES
13. Mass Effect
14. Mario And Luigi Superstar Saga
15. Devil Survivor Overclocked

Former something....

Around the Network

Well I've made a lot of cuts today. There were obviously going to be a handful of posters who would give up halfway (or even before) through.

Though there's also a handful of posters who are pretty close to finishing up. I PM'ed those guys.

But yeah... other than feeling like an overbearing mother (finish your lists! Nag nag nag!), I'm feeling good about all this. I'm much less flustered compared to last year.

Well I've fallen a bit behind, so I'll just do a short summary on my top 13.

13. Advance Wars (GBA)

I bought this when I was a kid on vacation because I beat Kirby. Didn't know anything about it, and had no expectations for it. Shit, I played this all of my vacation and on the way home. This is an amazing game, with tons of content, and what's best is its perfect for molbile play. You can play a 10 minute map, or a 2 hour game, your choice. It's also difficult, back then I culdn't do Hard mode (damn Fog of War levels), not sure about now.

The story is paper thin, but the gameplay is what brings you back. This game honestly reminds me of Warcraft 3, and it's one of the few handheld games I played multiplayer with friends. Heck I got about 10 people addicted to this in elementary school back in the day. To this day the formula remains relatively unchanged, and being the first Advance (or Gameboy) Wars game released outside of Japan, it's definatly my favorite. AW2 got wonky with Neo tanks, they made matches too easy, Days of Ruin lacked content, and Dual Strike was nearly perfect, but it had some silly 2 screen levels.

12. Fire Emblem: Sacred Swords (GBA)

Definatly, the best Strategy JRPG I have ever played. I beat this game 3 times now, and it's just so damn fun playing it. Again perfect for handheld play because you can save anytime, and the missions are moderatly challenging (if you want to keep everyone alive). The story is also interesting, and has a lot of back stabing. This is by far the best Fire Emblem in the franchise, and I wish Nintendo made a proper new FE title for the DS. Let's hope Fire Emblem 3DS can mae up for this.

11. Resident Evil 4 (GCN)

Let's face it, gamecube lacked great games. However, that's not a bad thing. Before gamecube I was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy and would buy games just because Nintendo developed them. Then I played Resident Evil 1 (emake) and loved it. Then this came out, and blew me away. Honestly this was one of the most interesting games for the gamecube, had amazing bosses, twists, and mini missions (playing as Ashley), and was polished to no ends. Mercenaries mode was also a great post game feature.

10. Metroid Prime (GCN)

Samus always looked like the coolest most bad ass character on Super Smash Bros. However I never had Super Metroid as a kid, and N64 never got any Metroid Games. So when I heard of this, I though I must get this day 1, heck I bought my gamecube when I saw screenshots of this sick baby.

They say Halo: CE is the best rated FPS, but this isn't a FPS. It got the same metascore (97/100) and when you look at most credible reviews, Metroid is higher. This isn't surprising.

This is one of the few games where you actually care about the character. Exploring the world of Tallon IV, reading lores about the "extinct" alien race who created your suit, and finding out they were alive until fairly recently on that planet (after the extinction of the race on Zebes). You felt sad for Samus when you explored Pandora Drifts and the music was erie quiet, and the flashes of her face on her visor made it even more lonely.

Then after the sad, heart string tugging silent moments and scripts, you would engage with the best boss fights the gamecube has ever seen. Thardus is possibly my favorite boss in all video games (I just love Ice levels).

This game was unique, and inspiring. Retro Studios is Nintendo best studio, and this game glorifies that persona.

9. Golden Sun (GBA)

Wait..did I say Thardus was my favorite boss? No the boss of the game was in Golden Sun. You basically fight a dragon, and if you read my Golden Sun 2 write up, you will have known that I beat the boss of the game with 1 turn left. Well guess what, I did that in Golden Sun 1 as well. The graphics were insane for the GBA, and they reminded my of Super Mario RPG type graphics. To sum this up though, this game is like a mix between Pokemon and Final Fantasy X. It has a great turn based battle system, and Dijin, which are used for summoning and remind me of Pokemon. Great dungeons like in a Zelda game, and well. This is the perfect JRPG for handhelds, and one of my favorite JRPG's ever.

8. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Do I need to explain this one? Fun as hell, amazing co-op, and again, I just love the Ice levels. Working on DKCR now with my gf.

7. Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)

Yea, I'm tired, do I need to explain this one? This was the first handheld game with a solid amount of content (after Zelda), and well it was unique. I wish we had the Japanese name (Pocket Monsters), as it feels much more appropriate, but regardless. Like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, you can play this game in small intervals and the level of depth is excellent for a handheld game. It's not soo complicated where if you don't play for months you will be lost, but you do need to pick your party and think about what you do. A tad bit too easy IMO, but hey, at least you can catch all the legendaries on 1 version of the game, and you can always battle with friends.....oh man, remember link cables?

6. Super Mario 64 (N64)

This is the best Mario game. Simple. Super Mario Sunshine was a joke, and the reason why Super Mario Galaxy is so good is because it's an immitation of this game (with cornier boss fights). I still have yet to beat Galaxy (hence it's not on my list), but hey Bowser looks diabolic in this game, like he should. Levels are excellent, and the idea of mini worlds is great. You can have so muc fun in this game by just exploring worlds and looking for things to discover.

Also the depth, quality, graphics, and polish to the gameplay were unheard of at this time. Galaxy does not compare to HD games, where this smoked PS1 games, and even most N64 games (despite being a launch title).

5. Mario Party 2 (N64)

Best local multiplayer. On my cartridge there have been over 2,000 hour long games played. Half probably due to my sister, but still. Best mini games and maps in a Mario Party game, best single player, best end game scenarios with Bowser, this was just a fun as hell game to play with friends. I really should throw a Mario Party Party some day with pizza, beer, and shots (for landing on red spaces or something).

4. Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)

For a long long time, this was my favorite video game of all time, and my favorite RPG. It was Final Fantasy Quality, with Super Mario Quarky. Funny, and fun, and it had one of the most in depth stories for a Mario game. Plus having Bowser on your team is fun as hell, and damn, I want Gino back!

3. Mass Effect 2 (360)

You probably wouldn't think this, but I actually turned down Mass Effect 1 because I thought it looked silly, too focused on dialog. A friend reccommended that I play ME1, and I only did so because just before ME2's release the DLC was on sale. Man I am happy I did. Mass Effect 1 had a great story, but it didn't pick up until halfway through the game and lacked polish. In Mass Effect 2, every decision you make feels important, and decisions you made from ME1 make a difference to the game. What's best is that unlike Catherine, Fable, or InFamous, decisions aren't so Black and White. An example would be in ME1, when your attacked by the Reapers. If Sovergn (the 1 Reaper) reaches the Citadel and sends out a special signal, all civilizations will become excint like they have for possibly missions of years. However, the Council (similar to the UN) are on a ship and in trouble. Do you risk making all human and aien life extinct to send a portion of your army and save the Council, or do you hold out and protect the Citadel? They also say there is a good chance you won't stop Sovergn if you protect the council.

Anyway, the atmosphere in this game is the most believable I have ever encountered in a video game. Peoples behaviors and personalities seem more real in this game then any other, and your interactions with them feel like actual conversations. There is so much depth to this game it's insane.

The pacing is perfect, the gameplay is the funnest I have ever played for an RPG (it's basically a 30 hour long shooter with a deep story), and the missions are all interesting enough to be their own games. Best game this gen by far.

2. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Now this is definatly the best JRPG ever made. Screw Final Fantasy, no other Squaresoft or Square Enix game matches the quality of Chrono Trigger. At this point I'm too tired to explain why I love it so much, but I will say it's damn good. What I really like is that unlike most games, your actions all seem to have effects in this game, and it's really interesting to see how a simple accidental trip back in time to a kingdom with a princess who looks like a twin to the girl who got kidnapped (why you went back in time) can eventually lead to the discovery of the end of the world in 1999 by a creature called Lavos. It's a great game, with a nearly perfect battle system (which was used in many Final Fantasy's on the NES-PS1), and a really interesting story. What I like most is being able to play the game again and end it whenever you feel like to see different endings for your game, had you messed around with the past too much (you could accidently make lizards rule the world). Amazing game.

1. Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Best Mario Kart. 2 Player GP, no locked tracks, some of the best tracks in Mario Kart History (Wario Stadium, Best Bowser Castle, Best Rainbow Road, Yoshi's Valley, etc) and the most balanced set of items. Since MK64, Nintendo has blotched the MK franchise on all but the DS. DD has 2 racers which is stupid, MKWii feels a lot like MK64 with inferior battle maps (why did they ruin Skyscraper? It's suppose to be hard!), corny track maps, and locked tracks. Ontop of that the interduction of the pow block, and the far too frequent lightning prize really dampen the gameplay.

Also can Yoshi stick out his tongue in any other MK? (I dunno, but it's cool that he can in MK64). Best Mario Kart ever. Ever since then all Nintendo has tried to do is make a similar Mario Kart (MKWii and DS), and introduce 2 new good items (Blue Shell Bomb and Tentacle Ink thing) and a handful of cool maps (Delfino Square). MK64's only drawback was the rubbrbank AI, but if you were good enough, this was never an issue. Best maps, best gameplay, no slowdown (unlike MKWii) and ridiculous graphics for the time.

I have put in over 1,000 hours into this game, and I still play it regularly. It's beautiful to play.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

For a long long time, this was my favorite video game of all time, and my favorite RPG. It was Final Fantasy Quality, with Super Mario Quarky. Funny, and fun, and it had one of the most in depth stories for a Mario game. Plus having Bowser on your team is fun as hell, and damn, I want Gino back!

I second that! Bowser as party member = EPIC win

Great choices btw, most of the list are in my list and now you made me want to play Mario Party 2 :/

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

MRKs said:
Michael-5 said:

I second that! Bowser as party member = EPIC win

Great choices btw, most of the list are in my list and now you made me want to play Mario Party 2 :/

I know, and you start the freaken game with an epic Bowser boss battle. Super Mario RPG is definatly the best Mario RPG, and will remain so until Nintendo and Square Enix decide to make something new.

As for Mario Party 2, it's a blast to play with friends. That and Mario Kart 64 are my most played N64 gmaes, damn that system got a lot of use. We all loved the Western themed level where you face bowser in a quick draw at the end of the game, and like I said, the minigames in Mario Party 2 are the best in the series.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Well I haven't made it well-known, but I have to admit this  list I've posted here has its flaws.  Mostly because I do mine as collectives to fit more in my list.  For instance, I adore games like the Megaman X collection becuase it has four games I absolutely adore in it (megaman X1, 2, 3, and 4, even liked 6) as well as stuff like the SNES cartrige "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Marioworld" which has two of my all time faves as well as two more classics and a great hidden gem.  

For anyone interested, here's my current, up-to-date list of my top games (including the surprisingly awesome Skyrim) 

1 - Final Fantasy VI
2 - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
3 - The Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past
4 - Donkey Kong Country 1-3 
5 - Megaman 2
6 - Final Fantasy VII, X, XII
7 - Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario World
8 - Final Fantasy IV, VIII, IX
9 - Ratchet and Clank Series
10 - Super Smash Brothers Series
11 - Rock Band Series
12 - Grand Theft Auto VC/SA
13 - Donkey Kong Country Returns
14 - Portal series
15 - Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare
16 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
17 - Left 4 Dead Series
18 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
19 - Megaman X Collection
20 - Assassin's Creed Series
21 - Kingdom Hearts Series
22 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
23 - Pokemon Series
24 - Super Marioworld 2: Yoshi's Island
25 - Resident Evil 4/5
26 - Minecraft
27 - Megaman series
28 - Guitar Hero 1-2
29 - Joe and Mac
30 - Final Fantasy
31 - Metroid Prime Series
32 - Final Fantasy Tactics series

There are some notable games that I haven't yet played that I also think have a good chance at ending up in this list based on pedigrees and hype: 

Vagrant Story
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Super Metroid
Earthbound
Tales of Phantasia
Mass Effect series
BioShock
StarCraft 
Diablo 1 and 2
Half-Life 1 and 2
Shadow of the Colossus