By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony announce US sales now exceed 3.9m

Yojimbo said:
What is this bullshit that Nintendo,Microsoft releases sold to cunsumers and Sony shipped? We should not trust numbers from those companies they dont track sold to consumers they just care about shipped. What a bad start for 2008.

Agreed.  What magical force do Ninty, and M$ have that can track sold to consumers that Sony can't?  2008 looks exactly the same as 2007.  Nintendo and M$ can do no wrong, but Sony can do no right...

Around the Network

I dont understand when sony stated "consumers" how is it to retail?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

@ super_etecoon

Or an E-mail verification.

Slimebeast said:
If anything, this news should actually pose the question wheather the PS3 sales are being overtracked (still) by vgchartz, rather than undertracked, like all the fanboys claim. The 3.9 mill shipped LTD number is actually lower than would be expected for a console that supposedly has sold 3.5 million units to gamers in NA.

You see, Sony has a history of stuffing retail with tons of PS3s, so having only 3.9-3.49 mill = 400,000 units sitting on retail shelves is a minimum as I see it. You can compare this with the ratio of shipped/sold we have for X360, 17.7 mill shipped, 16.0 mill sold which suggests that nearly 1 million consoles are sitting on retail shelves as we speak.

So, with all the anecdotal reports about X360 Premiums being sold out, does anyone really believe there are nearly a million X360s stuffed in retail out there, but less than 400,000 PS3s?

So, no way the PS3 has been undertracked by ioi/vgchartz, nor LTD or during holidays. In my opinion these official Sony numbers, if anything, proves that fact.

read the article over they didnt say 3.9 ps3's

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Bah, I hate company spin... I said back in July/August that i was going to hate what happens to all the new members when Sony start mouthing various numbers.

for god sake wait till the fiscal report in 2-3 weeks, then we should see what they mean, and i bet it won't be sold to consumers.

actually if i remember the last fiscals only Nintendos went into any decent details regarding region, the Sony/MS numbers just seemed to show the worldwide retail sales for that quarter, plus comparisons to either the previous quarter or the previous years quarter.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
If anything, this news should actually pose the question wheather the PS3 sales are being overtracked (still) by vgchartz, rather than undertracked, like all the fanboys claim. The 3.9 mill shipped LTD number is actually lower than would be expected for a console that supposedly has sold 3.5 million units to gamers in NA.

You see, Sony has a history of stuffing retail with tons of PS3s, so having only 3.9-3.49 mill = 400,000 units sitting on retail shelves is a minimum as I see it. You can compare this with the ratio of shipped/sold we have for X360, 17.7 mill shipped, 16.0 mill sold which suggests that nearly 1 million consoles are sitting on retail shelves as we speak.

So, with all the anecdotal reports about X360 Premiums being sold out, does anyone really believe there are nearly a million X360s stuffed in retail out there, but less than 400,000 PS3s?

So, no way the PS3 has been undertracked by ioi/vgchartz, nor LTD or during holidays. In my opinion these official Sony numbers, if anything, proves that fact.

Where are you getting 3.9 million shipped LTD from. the 3.9 million figure was for total playstation sales (PS2,PSP, PS3) for the holiday season.

viewsonic9 said:
viewsonic9 said:

They have sold 1.2m in the US since Black Friday;

http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/280815.html

The total on the main page should really be over 9m now then.

Sony always release sold numbers from my experience. Their prediction for the end of fiscal year is 11m sold not shipped.

And their main goal is to have 14.75 units sold to consumers by the end of the fiscal period in March. I wonder what will happen if they were to miss their forecast...

Why do we even post these outside numbers from companies. I say the only thing we should even read from companies, is their financial reports. Cause they normally have no idea how much they sell. They probably simply tell us how much they shipped to retail during a certain amount of time.

DMeisterJ said:
Yojimbo said:
What is this bullshit that Nintendo,Microsoft releases sold to cunsumers and Sony shipped? We should not trust numbers from those companies they dont track sold to consumers they just care about shipped. What a bad start for 2008.

Agreed.  What magical force do Ninty, and M$ have that can track sold to consumers that Sony can't?  2008 looks exactly the same as 2007.  Nintendo and M$ can do no wrong, but Sony can do no right...

They do not... Nintendo and MS quote sold to retail too, In the past (fiscal 2007) Sony used "shipped" as a way of saying "produced and moved, but still in our (sonys) hands"... since the start of fiscal 2008, they have reported sales to retail in their fiscals.

If you are refering to the odd little tidbits that they give out now and then, I believe they just use numbers from trackers like NPD.

Whatever happens... we shall have it confirmed by the time both NPD december and Sonys quarterly fiscal comes out (though it may be difficult to grab from Sonys fiscal due to it refering to all three months, and probably not breaking it into region lke last time)

URNotE said:
Slimebeast said:
If anything, this news should actually pose the question wheather the PS3 sales are being overtracked (still) by vgchartz, rather than undertracked, like all the fanboys claim. The 3.9 mill shipped LTD number is actually lower than would be expected for a console that supposedly has sold 3.5 million units to gamers in NA.

So, no way the PS3 has been undertracked by ioi/vgchartz, nor LTD or during holidays. In my opinion these official Sony numbers, if anything, proves that fact.

read the article over they didnt say 3.9 ps3's

Oops.