By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony announce US sales now exceed 3.9m

Anyone else remember Sony saying "We don't release number before NPD" last November?

Around the Network
zackblue said:
@sky render

Dude sony sated they sold 1.2 M ps3's to consumers, we track consumers, numbers must be changed.

By your logic, if Sony announced by proxy of an article written by somebody unrelated to Sony  that they sold 15 million units to consumers this year, we'd be obligated to change it too, even if evidence suggested otherwise.  You're assuming, rather questionably I might add, that Sony would not only go to the trouble of tracking consumer sales, but would also report them honestly if they turned out to be considerably less than their sold-to-retail numbers.  Companies lie, shuffle terms around, weasel their way out of admitting how things are really going...  It's an age-old tradition, and Sony's been doing it for as long as anybody can remember.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

FishyJoe said:
Seriously, why can't you people just wait for NPD numbers before whining about changing numbers? It's like some people just want to complain the second they get any type of information whatsoever.

Were not you the one who said when sony says CONSUMERS in the sentence "sold to" numbers would be changed?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Wouldn't be surprised if both PS3 and 360 were undertracked a bit in NA.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

DMeisterJ said:
@ Sky Render

I mean black friday sales when DS sold close to 700k and Wii sold 350. I assumed that you knew I was talking about black friday, since the title mentions that.

That was never changed because Sony was the one company that didn't release exact consumer figures.  Nintendo came out straight and said they sold X number to the consumer so VGC changed the figures FOR THAT WEEK.  MS came out and said it sold Y numbers to the consumer and so it was just changed FOR THAT WEEK.  Sony came out and said that you should wait for NPD numbers some time later and denied MS outsold them 2:1 as MS stated in their report.

By the fact that Sony didn't release numbers while the other two did should be obvious reason enough to you why they weren't changed. 

Around the Network
viewsonic9 said:
viewsonic9 said:

They have sold 1.2m in the US since Black Friday;

http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/280815.html

The total on the main page should really be over 9m now then.

Sony always release sold numbers from my experience. Their prediction for the end of fiscal year is 11m sold not shipped.

Well fuck, I guess ioi can take a rest now.

zackblue said:
FishyJoe said:
Seriously, why can't you people just wait for NPD numbers before whining about changing numbers? It's like some people just want to complain the second they get any type of information whatsoever.

Were not you the one who said when sony says CONSUMERS in the sentence "sold to" numbers would be changed?

When Nintendo, Sony or MS releases a press statement I don't bitch about changing the site's numbers, period. 

darconi said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ Sky Render

I mean black friday sales when DS sold close to 700k and Wii sold 350. I assumed that you knew I was talking about black friday, since the title mentions that.

That was never changed because Sony was the one company that didn't release exact consumer figures.  Nintendo came out straight and said they sold X number to the consumer so VGC changed the figures FOR THAT WEEK.  MS came out and said it sold Y numbers to the consumer and so it was just changed FOR THAT WEEK.  Sony came out and said that you should wait for NPD numbers some time later and denied MS outsold them 2:1 as MS stated in their report.

By the fact that Sony didn't release numbers while the other two did should be obvious reason enough to you why they weren't changed. 

Didnt those Microsoft numbers turn out to be inflated though?

Not to be a dick, but why do these kinds of threads turn Sony fans into raving idiots?

What the OP posted was a vaguely worded article from a rubish tabloid, written by a person of whose competence we have absolutely no idea, and people are seriously saying the front page numbers should be adjusted because of it? At least give it up when it's pointed out how wrong you are, and stop defending a non-existant claim just because.

viewsonic9 said:
darconi said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ Sky Render

That was never changed because Sony was the one company that didn't release exact consumer figures. Nintendo came out straight and said they sold X number to the consumer so VGC changed the figures FOR THAT WEEK. MS came out and said it sold Y numbers to the consumer and so it was just changed FOR THAT WEEK. Sony came out and said that you should wait for NPD numbers some time later and denied MS outsold them 2:1 as MS stated in their report.

Didnt those Microsoft numbers turn out to be inflated though?

The absolute value on the numbers wasn't, or at least, nobody had the data to say they were.  They were supposedly inflated in the ratio comparison.  Sony denied that it was a 2:1 ratio the PS3 were outsold.  However nobody could prove that wrong or right because NPD doesn't release weekly figures (this was solely for the black friday week).  So no, they weren't proven to be inflated.