By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony announce US sales now exceed 3.9m

viewsonic9 said:
viewsonic9 said:

They have sold 1.2m in the US since Black Friday;

http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/280815.html

The total on the main page should really be over 9m now then.

Sony always release sold numbers from my experience. Their prediction for the end of fiscal year is 11m sold not shipped.

MWHAUHUAHAUAHAUAHAUA..................

Around the Network

"1.2 Million Consumers Join PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) Family since Black Friday"
They specificaly state sold to consumers. I think it is probably sold to retail but we will find out soon enough.

Its sold to consumers

look at this quote from sony:

"1.2 million Consumers Join the ps3 family since black friday"

So they should be updated since sony clearly stated CONSUMERS.

Vgchartz tracks sales to CONSUMERS not retailers, therefore ps3 has been undertracked in the U.S.

Now to continue and elaborate this quote you will see what I am talking about:

PS3 retail sales reached 1.2 million hardware units during this holiday timeframe.

This means that retail sales as in the amount of ps3's sold by the retailers are 1.2M, and for further proof read above. there fore numbers should be changed and fixed.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

viewsonic9 said:
viewsonic9 said:

They have sold 1.2m in the US since Black Friday;

http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/280815.html

The total on the main page should really be over 9m now then.

Sony always release sold numbers from my experience. Their prediction for the end of fiscal year is 11m sold not shipped.

Well then your experience is pretty poor, because Sony have realeased all kinds of different values depending on whatever suited them best at the time. 

And you've done an exremely poor job at reading their fiscal report, because it clearly states that they have an estimate for 11m PS3s shipped (sold to retailer) for the current fiscal year.

It seems the first link was reporting it incorrectly. It is actually 3.9m Playstations of all kinds sold since black friday including 1.2m PS3's. Jack Tretton actually says;

"We are particularly pleased to have sold through 1.2 million units of PS3 during the holiday selling season."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16848

Around the Network

You're assuming that the author of the article 1. understands the difference between retail sales and consumer sales, and 2. accidentally typed "retail sales" in the first sentence. I don't think that's very likely, particularly since Sony has never released sales to consumers before. They tend to favor numbers that make them look better, not worse.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

i thought on their last report last quarter sony switched to releasing sales to consumers...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

URNotE said:
i thought on their last report last quarter sony switched to releasing sales to consumers...

Nope, they switched from leaving the factory to sold to retailer.

I think we should change it. We did when Nintendo stated how much they sold after Black Friday, and when MS gave out numbers also.

DMeisterJ said:
I think we should change it. We did when Nintendo stated how much they sold after Black Friday, and when MS gave out numbers also.

Seeing as 360 numbers remain at 16mil and not 17.7mil on this site, and seeing as there hasn't been an actual report from Nintendo yet (to my knowledge), I think you're mistaken...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.