By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony announce US sales now exceed 3.9m

What exactly does sold through mean then? Because I was pretty sure it meant sold to customers and Jack Tretton actually said they sold through 1.2m

Around the Network

Even so vgchartz has about 900k from Nov 19- Dec 30 for PS3 sales, so it has been undertracked by about 300k in the U.S.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

@ Sky Render

I mean black friday sales when DS sold close to 700k and Wii sold 350. I assumed that you knew I was talking about black friday, since the title mentions that.

Even for a big corp. It's impossible to give a relatively exact # sold to consumers.
Have you not had seen a Sony Spin before? (All 3 of them do.)

Again, why would Sony go to the trouble of changing their methods when the current method of listing sales to retail is cheaper, easier, and makes them look better? He would say "sold through" because it makes them sound better, and it's ambiguous enough that you could ask "sold through to retailers from your warehouses, or to consumers from retailers?". Jack Trenton does not necessarily subscribe to ioi's and TheSource's terminology.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

@sky render

Dude sony sated they sold 1.2 M ps3's to consumers, we track consumers, numbers must be changed.

My guess is shipped to retailers but if sold to consumers then good for sony.

DMeisterJ said:
@ Sky Render

I mean black friday sales when DS sold close to 700k and Wii sold 350. I assumed that you knew I was talking about black friday, since the title mentions that.

You said after Black Friday, implying the holiday season as a whole.  And I do not recall the numbers getting particularly adjusted to any considerable degree after the Black Friday numbers went up.  Maybe I just missed the update, but I seem to recall that all of them had large numbers that week, and the usual later-in-week adjustments were made, but it was no more noticeable than usual.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Seriously, why can't you people just wait for NPD numbers before whining about changing numbers? It's like some people just want to complain the second they get any type of information whatsoever.

Oh lord.. how simple can it get.. this is ridiculus.. im out.