By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The XBox looks like it would go the way of HDDVD

Yeah a pretty ruthless ban for such a "minor" (at least according ot the track record around here) offense.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network

Nah, that guy created an account and immediately started trolling. Serves him right ...

I dont even know why I posted in this thread, but I agree with the OP being banned.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

And why is this in the Sony forum disscusion.

halil23 said:
DOATS1 said:
lets see:
360 core
360 arcade
360premium
" with hdmi
360 elite

ps3 20gb
" 40gb
" 60gb
" 80gb

and also realise that each region has no more than 2 sku's on sale at the moment for ps3. 360 has all 3 sku's in each region.

Amen

Core and Arcade are nothing different.  One includes a memory card and demo disc, that is all.  Really, there has only been one change for MS-adding HDMI to the Premium.  Sony's been all over the place with PS3.  First, 20gig with software BC, and 60-gig with hardware bc.  Both of those had all of the card slots and other features.  Then they deep-sixed the 20-gig and announced the 80-gig soon after.  The 80-gig had software BC only.  Then they announced the 40-gig with none at all and most of the card slots and USB ports taken out.  Tell me who's confusing people more?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Well, I seriously doubt the Xbox 360 is going anywhere.

For those claiming HDD's are the way to go over optical media....seriously....HDD's aren't even close to be durable or long lived enough.  You also need the faster more expensive 7200rpm drives to reliably do something like an HD movie.  

For those claiming digital downloads....that is many years away.  Seriously.  In 2006 the goverment found that only 30 million US households had access to broadband.  That's less than 30 percent.  That 30 million was up from 7 million BUSINESSES and households in 2000.  If you guesstimate that the access grows 23 million every six years then we're talking almost 50 percent penetration in the US alone by 2012.  Again, that's JUST the US.  There's a much wider world out there as well and yes, it DOES count.  Besides the broadband access issue, it would also have to be a good deal faster than it is currently to make DLC a reality.  The public isn't going to wait 30 minutes or more to download their movie that would load in about 10 seconds on a blu-ray player.  People also will have to get over it and be willing to not own anything physically when purchasing a movie.  Print media has been digital for longer than music has, yet book stores and libraries are hardly affected at all by digital availability of their media.  No, I think that downloading content as the rule is at LEAST 10-15 years away from truly being adopted by the masses, and that's an optimistic estimate.

Sony was smart in the end, including the BD player.  It may have cost them some sales and positioning in the console war, but they are still obviously going to be very successful with the PS3 and it benefitted them on two fronts, helping to ensure they won the format war which will bring them BILLIONS over the next 5-10 years.  Of course that is IF HD media catches on and gets at least comparable with regular DVD in sales volume.  That seems likely as it IS building up steam but it's certainly not a foregone conclusion.  Time will tell!