By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The XBox looks like it would go the way of HDDVD

To be honest two reason I choose a PS3 over Xbox360
1) Blu-ray
2) 360 hardware problems.

360 hardware is cheaper than PS3 and so far it really shows.

Around the Network

I have to give you a good slap of reality, these things we're all buying debating etc. We buy them to play games primarily. Blu ray winning will not help PS3 much at all given the low end blu ray players cost the same as the low end PS3(399.99)

zackblue said:
FJ-Warez said:
KrisisKore said:
Seriously, with Blu-ray getting new backers i dont just see how HDDVD will survive. To add to that, the PS3 has a builtin bluray player. this smells like success for sony. just look t those xbox numbers. A year head start, all its killer apps out, cheaper than the PS3. yet its still getting killed. Seriously microsoft, give it up. you cant do this. By the way, whats with the altered numbers for PS3 sales in the US?

First Year

2 Models

1 Bundle

VS

2 $100 price cuts

4 Models

Started Pack

Drop of BC to drop the price

Bundles with BR movies

¿Who has troubles to keep up?

Microsoft is having trouble keeping up, the ps3 still cost more, and the 360 still has easily the better games, and is considerably cheaper.

I could point out that MS is now profiting from the 360 while Sony is bleeding money but that probably means nothing to you.

Cutting off your arm to save your leg is not a victory, no matter how much you twist it. Sony may be marginally outselling the 360, but at what cost to their shareholders? 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

X360 17.7 million consoles shipped, 16 million sold.

PS3 ~11 million consoles shipped, 9 million sold.

Sonny fail.
X360 wins.

I think nintendo's next console will utilise HDDVD. They always like non-standard formats (Wii is the exception), and with the doom of HDDVD, i guess the licencing rights will be cheap.

Around the Network
joora said:
I think nintendo's next console will utilise HDDVD. They always like non-standard formats (Wii is the exception), and with the doom of HDDVD, i guess the licencing rights will be cheap.

Nintendo seems to like using their own special discs, they do it to prevent piracy.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

Think about it, if you buy the PS3 for games, there are people who buy the PS3 for its blu-ray capabilities. now that bluray is winnong, the number of people buying the ps3 will increase. With time, sony will make money off the ps3. dont you guys know anything about console sales? at first no profit, as time goes by software sales make up for it and hardware production costs decrease. xbox360 is at its peak. a whole year by itself, a whole year headstart, biggest software out. ps3 is just starting out, it had a horrible start, few if any worthy games yet its still killing the 360. if its doing that now, just imagine what it will do when its big sellers and established franchises like GT, FF, and MGS come out. Wii can coexist. the 360 is not a bad console at all but we have to face the fact that they cannot help but come out last in this generations console war even if they had a years head start.

KrisisKore said:
Think about it, blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... AND ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ... blah, blah, blah ...

Sorry, but you lost me after "Think about it ..." And yeah, the Xbox is already dead ... the HD DVD is going that route, but recent numbers clearly show the 360 is at least 7 million ahead of the PS3. 

Hold on one second before jumping all over the op's statement...it was a little harsh but those were all solid facts people...

The xbox brand has had it's first ever successful back-to-back software "year"...Gears, Bioshock, Halo, Mass Effect..all great games. Now all Sony had to do in order to begin outselling x360..was lower the price of it's machine to $399.

According to internet extremists.."ps3 has no games"..well what I see is Playstation brand power alone, crushing four of 360's bigest aaa hits. THAT alone is a bad sign for ms..

Actually the death of HD-DVD might actually help Microsoft. Hear me out, if HD-DVD dies, Microsoft maybe able to license the technology from Toshiba for dirt cheap. MS could then have developers come up with a standard to create games on HD-DVD format. This could have them compete with Sony on a game level. It would also help Toshiba whose format (HD-DVD) won't be a complete loss. It would be a win-win for both companies.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus