By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The XBox looks like it would go the way of HDDVD

@mad---people seem to think that the 360 (a game machine) will fail b/c of the Blu -Ray--i am just saying how can that be if the company sai they could support it as well?

Around the Network
DOATS1 said:
lets see:
360 core
360 arcade
360premium
" with hdmi
360 elite

ps3 20gb
" 40gb
" 60gb
" 80gb

and also realise that each region has no more than 2 sku's on sale at the moment for ps3. 360 has all 3 sku's in each region.

Yes. Shame shame shame on Microsoft for updating their hardware line with better products and more features.

Bad Microsoft. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

mesoteto said:
@mad---people seem to think that the 360 (a game machine) will fail b/c of the Blu -Ray--i am just saying how can that be if the company sai they could support it as well?

Oh, I saw your point. I wasn't trying to start anything with you. I just fail to see the wisdom in doing that (adding a BR add-on) that doesn't play games and would be at the same price point as the PS3. If that were the case, there'd be no reason to get a 360 because you'd be getting a bad deal. In the end, it would be smarter to just buy a PS3 instead of getting an add-on. I only supported the HD DVD add-on because I already had a 360, I got 9 movies for the price of the add-on and it was a competing format. I wouldn't dream of getting a BR add-on unless it was in a PS3. 

Phalanx said:
Crazymann said:

Getting killed, you say?

While I realize that this is the SONY forum and that there are some here who froth for such sentiment, the success of blu-ray does not grant the PS3 an automatic victory. I think not - mind you that I own a PS3 and do not own a 360.

"Killed" is also a relative term, as the PS3 is only slightly over the sales curve of the 360 with aligmed time frames. Microsoft is not out of the game yet, and those who think so are underestimating Gates and company. Halo 3 is not the only game Microsoft had, nor will it be the last or best for the 360. Add the potential for more price cuts - which Sony will not easily be able to match - and 360 is far from dead.

There are plenty of games coming out for all systems that make them worth owning. I own a PS3 and I will own a Wii - but not till I can find one with no effort for retail price. As for the 360, who knows, anything is possible, but they will succeed over last generation (XBOX) and it will be a close race.

EDIT: Wow, in the coarse of me typing up my reply - 4 other people beat me, and when did Wii come into this?

Can we trade this Crazymann for the other? I like this guy much better.

I nominate this post FTW ... LOL ... now, he just needs his avatar and the circle will be complete ... 

@mad--i wasnt trying to say you were starting anything--and i dont want it to just be movies--games too--which i dont know why they could do an add on to read info and not incorporate games

Around the Network
mesoteto said:
@mad--i wasnt trying to say you were starting anything--and i dont want it to just be movies--games too--which i dont know why they could do an add on to read info and not incorporate games

Agreed. The only reason is - the customers. To let folks have a choice. They can get into next-gen gaming for just $300. That's it. You get all you need with the 360 Arcade. Now, if you want to add components, cool - but they only enhance the experience - but they aren't necessary. Because of that fact, it helps the gamers but hurts devs. They have to design a 360 with two players in mind - the ones who have HDs, and the ones that don't. By allowing devs to utilize the HD DVD to play games, you immediately alienate a big part of your market. Not everyone who owns a 360 has the HD DVD drive. And the price to play just a few games via the HD DVD ad-on would really put it over the PS3 in price. So, to avoid it, MS went with just an add-on that plays movies. That way, if folks want to watch movies in HD, they can just buy the drive and the movies.

Not being tied to a format was a great call for the 360. Yes, it looks good for BR winning, but if it had lost - and it can still happen but not anytime soon - the Ps3 would have been a laughingstock. If the HD DVD fails, MS can still support it and just send it out to the pasture. Their hands washed, they can move on easily.

The Blu-Ray player was a very, very, VERY risky gamble for Sony that seems to be paying off. 

@mad--see i really dont think it will ever be as bigg as sony thinks--i mean you can downoad HD quality moies over nice internet connections --so its a mute point to go out and pay 20-30 dollars for something you can get for ...*free* (not legaly) or for a greatly reduced price on the internet, i mean isnt i tunes already getting hd material?

misterd said:
KrisisKore said:
Think about it, if you buy the PS3 for games, there are people who buy the PS3 for its blu-ray capabilities. now that bluray is winnong, the number of people buying the ps3 will increase. With time, sony will make money off the ps3. dont you guys know anything about console sales? at first no profit, as time goes by software sales make up for it and hardware production costs decrease. xbox360 is at its peak. a whole year by itself, a whole year headstart, biggest software out. ps3 is just starting out, it had a horrible start, few if any worthy games yet its still killing the 360. if its doing that now, just imagine what it will do when its big sellers and established franchises like GT, FF, and MGS come out. Wii can coexist. the 360 is not a bad console at all but we have to face the fact that they cannot help but come out last in this generations console war even if they had a years head start.

1. Blu Ray has been winning for over a year. It has not helped PS3 much.

2. PS3 is edging out the 360, not "killing it". And that's after 2 price cuts, when the 360 has had one, and a relatively minor one at that. It now has a good deal of room to cut prices itself, and that will almost certainly drive sales up.

3. Do some math. Even under best case scenarios, the PS3 could not catch the 360 until 2009 at the earliest, and that's with zero competition in the East. MS has already assured the 360 a better showing this generation than last, while the PS3 is almost guaranteed be seen as a disappointing follow up to the PS2.

4. The average consumer doesn't care about BluRay. Those that do are generally tech heads who, if they care about games, will own multiple consoles. DVD was a fluke - the right technology at the right time which showed historically unprecedented success. The PS2 was able to ride the DVD tidal wave. Unfortunately for the PS3, BluRay's wave is much smaller.

I am shocked - I thought I was reading one of my posts ... just beautiful! 

mesoteto said:
@mad--see i really dont think it will ever be as bigg as sony thinks--i mean you can downoad HD quality moies over nice internet connections --so its a mute point to go out and pay 20-30 dollars for something you can get for ...*free* (not legaly) or for a greatly reduced price on the internet, i mean isnt i tunes already getting hd material?

@ Mesoteto

The problem is - folks want something physical in their hands. And they can hold the linear notes, the actual disc with Blu Ray. While I like being able to do that, if I can get it by downloading it, I will. Just a few weeks ago, I downloaded a few Bugs Bunny episodes off iTunes. I was ROTFL ... and thought to myself - I wish I could watch it on my TV. It's still cumbersome to do that - wires and the like - but it's coming. Folks say 'Slow connections will hinder it' but do the math - it costs me $26 per month for broadband. It was costing my dad $22 plus tax for a dial-up. The move to broadband is accelerating and yeah, I do think the digital downloads will blow up like a hand grenade.

The thing that I loved about Napster was - getting music I couldn't buy in stores. Ex. The Deele 'Eyes of a Stranger.' I literally visited several music shops in at least 4-5 states looking for the CD. It was out of print - and there was no way I could order it. So, I turned to Napster. And found several tracks!

Downloads will get faster - on a few sites, the connection was so fast, I had a movie in under 5 minutes. And even Netflix allows you to watch streamed movies.

Physical media costs loot - for the customers. They still have to deduct the cost to print, distribute and market it. Digital downloads? Place one file on a server and let folks pay a fee to snag as many copies as they want. It's only going to get bigger. 

and thats why blu ray will never be huge--it will be nice for teh storage, but with more stable and larger hard drive comming....you see where i am going?