By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The XBox looks like it would go the way of HDDVD

FJ-Warez said:
KrisisKore said:
Seriously, with Blu-ray getting new backers i dont just see how HDDVD will survive. To add to that, the PS3 has a builtin bluray player. this smells like success for sony. just look t those xbox numbers. A year head start, all its killer apps out, cheaper than the PS3. yet its still getting killed. Seriously microsoft, give it up. you cant do this. By the way, whats with the altered numbers for PS3 sales in the US?

First Year

2 Models

1 Bundle

VS

2 $100 price cuts

4 Models

Started Pack

Drop of BC to drop the price

Bundles with BR movies

¿Who has troubles to keep up?

Microsoft is having trouble keeping up, the ps3 still cost more, and the 360 still has easily the better games, and is considerably cheaper.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network

lets see:
360 core
360 arcade
360premium
" with hdmi
360 elite

ps3 20gb
" 40gb
" 60gb
" 80gb

and also realise that each region has no more than 2 sku's on sale at the moment for ps3. 360 has all 3 sku's in each region.

Last time I looked at the charts 360 is still a good 7.25 million ahead of PS3... Now that we are entering the slower season I don't see PS3 catching up any time soon. 360 is far from its death bed.

And if Microsoft needs to they can sell a blu-ray player as well.

since when is a video game systems future determined by a movie format?
the 360 doesnt come standard with hd-dvd,and yeah i think hd-dvd will eventually die....but i dont think it will have any effect on the 360....at all

DOATS1 said:
lets see:
360 core
360 arcade
360premium
" with hdmi
360 elite

ps3 20gb
" 40gb
" 60gb
" 80gb

and also realise that each region has no more than 2 sku's on sale at the moment for ps3. 360 has all 3 sku's in each region.

Keywords, first year...

@Zack

¿how could they have troubles to keep up if they haven't made big price cuts to spice up the sales?

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

PS3 and X360 have always been like 6-8 million apart from eachother... The closest was when the PS3 had just launched in the EU (6.5 mil) and the furthest was like 7.8 mil i believe. Now, it's at 7.3 something so i really don't see PS3 catching up with the 360 when they keep selling almost the same in 2008...

THE NETHERLANDS

If Blu-Ray becomes the dominant format (which seems likely at this point) then the overall boost to the PS3 from having a built in Blu-Ray player will probably be similar to what the original XBox received from having XBox Live. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are really nice formats, but they have a very long way to go before they become mainstream ...

Over the next 18 months we will move towards every movie released by a movie studio will be released in an HD-Format, and movie rental places will start to carry a small quantity of all of these releases; this will be a major improvement over the current state where most video rental stores cary a tiny quantity of the most major movie releases in an HD format. Move players will come down to the $100 range and most new laptop and PCs will come with a built in HD-Format drive. At this point most 'average' consumers will be willing to start to consider buying into a HD-movie player; for those on the market for a gaming system the (then) $300 PS3 which has a built in Blu-Ray player will be a good bargin, but for the (roughly) 70+ Million people who will own an XBox 360 or Wii the PS3 will seem redundant and expensive when they can buy the main feature they want for $100.

zackblue said:
FJ-Warez said:
KrisisKore said:
Seriously, with Blu-ray getting new backers i dont just see how HDDVD will survive. To add to that, the PS3 has a builtin bluray player. this smells like success for sony. just look t those xbox numbers. A year head start, all its killer apps out, cheaper than the PS3. yet its still getting killed. Seriously microsoft, give it up. you cant do this. By the way, whats with the altered numbers for PS3 sales in the US?

First Year

2 Models

1 Bundle

VS

2 $100 price cuts

4 Models

Started Pack

Drop of BC to drop the price

Bundles with BR movies

¿Who has troubles to keep up?

Microsoft is having trouble keeping up, the ps3 still cost more, and the 360 still has easily the better games, and is considerably cheaper.

It will ALWAYS (unless sony becomes THAT desperate) cost more, but ps3 had to drop its price to become a smaller margin to KEEP UP. 360 can now cut its price whenever, then moving itself ahead, and sony can of course..........if they want to keep bleeding which i doubt with blue ray winning now.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I doubt that this generation the addition of blu ray will mean as much as the ps2's inclusion of a dvd player.

It may add some sales for people just wanting a blu ray player, but if they don't buy any additional games does it really help the system.

Also with a much cheaper Blu-Ray player and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player comming out, one can only wonder how much longer what little appeal Blu-Ray has will be a benefit to the PS3.