By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U will support two controllers finally

Dr.Grass said:
oniyide said:
wish it could do four, if its not possible then 2 is better. Either way it sounds like the console has to be pretty powerful if they are fighting just to get two on it

I'm sorry but I think you are making no sense right there. 

I think what he means is that the system is probably capable of some intense graphics if they're struggling to get "full game streaming" to two controllers simultaneously.

Around the Network
archbrix said:
Dr.Grass said:
oniyide said:
wish it could do four, if its not possible then 2 is better. Either way it sounds like the console has to be pretty powerful if they are fighting just to get two on it

I'm sorry but I think you are making no sense right there. 

I think what he means is that the system is probably capable of some intense graphics if they're struggling to get "full game streaming" to two controllers simultaneously.

Ok I see what he means.

Still doesn't make sense - the resolution determines the bandwidth of the streaming, and that remains fixed.

Dr.Grass said:
So the PS3 can connect to 7 Bluetooth devices, but the next gen Wii U only supports 2 tabs!?

Firstly, I'm not trolling - I'm serious.

Secondly, doesn't it depend on the data transfer between the console and the tab? Meaning that it's up to the dev to get it to work with the amount of tab's they desire? I mean come on it's common sense. Why would Ninty block this.

Thirdly, if Wii U is to be very successful then I want to take my tab to my friends house and enjoy some wickedly original 4 (or more!) player games. THAT'S WHAT IT SHOULD BE ABOUT GDMNIT!

Bluetooth 1.0 through 3.0 are very low-bandwith wireless connections that are inadequate for the straming of video (even standard definition video) ...

Bluetooth 3.0 + HS, and Bluetooth 4.0 are newer versions (far newer than the PS3) and have the bandwidth to stream video, but I believe their bandwidth is split between all connected devices and I doubt any one Bluetooth controller could support streaming on more than 2 devices at the same time. You could (possibly) use multiple Bluetooth controllers, but then you would run into processing power problems when trying to render to so many devices at the same time.

Sounds like a 1 UP to me!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

good!

Around the Network

The fact that it wasn't powerful enough (or capable enough) to support 2 or more "tablet" controllers shows how incredibly short-sighted (and cheap) Nintendo is.

On the positive side, now that we know they are shooting for at least 2 tablet controllers per console, the extra boost in hardware will hopefully translate to the software side as well.

Ideally I'd like to have 2 tablet controllers that can work independent of one another... i.e. player 1 could be playing a game on the main TV on the Wii U itself, while player 2 could be playing a simple game on the tablet's screen like the Othello game shown off at E3, or even just surfing the web or something.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

HappySqurriel said:
Dr.Grass said:
So the PS3 can connect to 7 Bluetooth devices, but the next gen Wii U only supports 2 tabs!?

Secondly, doesn't it depend on the data transfer between the console and the tab? Meaning that it's up to the dev to get it to work with the amount of tab's they desire? I mean come on it's common sense. Why would Ninty block this.

Thirdly, if Wii U is to be very successful then I want to take my tab to my friends house and enjoy some wickedly original 4 (or more!) player games. THAT'S WHAT IT SHOULD BE ABOUT GDMNIT!

Bluetooth 1.0 through 3.0 are very low-bandwith wireless connections that are inadequate for the straming of video (even standard definition video) ...

Bluetooth 3.0 + HS, and Bluetooth 4.0 are newer versions (far newer than the PS3) and have the bandwidth to stream video, but I believe their bandwidth is split between all connected devices and I doubt any one Bluetooth controller could support streaming on more than 2 devices at the same time. You could (possibly) use multiple Bluetooth controllers, but then you would run into processing power problems when trying to render to so many devices at the same time.

I TOTALLY get that streaming 4 unique full HD screans is probably never going to happen. That's why I said it should be left to the developers since I can easily imagine uses for 4 tablets without the need for each of them having HD streamed straigth to them.

Get what I'm saying? I don't see a need for Nintendo to put a limit on that - it should be up to the dev.

Dr.Grass said:

That's what i'm wondering. While there are a lot of issues rendering multiplayer games graphically, i can't imagine there'd be an issue making 4 simple GUI's to serve as additional buttons for plotting strategies (like in Madden) or whatnot

Nintendo could put a strict limit on the amount of V-RAM the Wii U can process and that would put an effective limit on how much could be streamed out

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Dr.Grass said:
HappySqurriel said:
Dr.Grass said:

I TOTALLY get that streaming 4 unique full HD screans is probably never going to happen. That's why I said it should be left to the developers since I can easily imagine uses for 4 tablets without the need for each of them having HD streamed straigth to them.

Get what I'm saying? I don't see a need for Nintendo to put a limit on that - it should be up to the dev.

I don't know the implementation details, but from my understanding the tablet is just a "dummy" device and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't (really) have any processing power or memory on it; and it only displays the data that is streamed to it. If this is truly the case, I wouldn't be surprised if the system uses up the same wireless bandwidth to display a static image of buttons as a detailed real-time rendered image.

The reason to take this approach is to keep the cost of the controller down because (outside of the cost of the screen) the tablet controller would be about as complicated and expensive as a conventional controller. With how inexpensive touch screens have gotten, it is possible that Nintendo could sell these controllers for $10 to $25 more than a conventional controller where it would be substantially more expensive to make them "smarter".

NightDragon83 said:
The fact that it wasn't powerful enough (or capable enough) to support 2 or more "tablet" controllers shows how incredibly short-sighted (and cheap) Nintendo is.

On the positive side, now that we know they are shooting for at least 2 tablet controllers per console, the extra boost in hardware will hopefully translate to the software side as well.

Ideally I'd like to have 2 tablet controllers that can work independent of one another... i.e. player 1 could be playing a game on the main TV on the Wii U itself, while player 2 could be playing a simple game on the tablet's screen like the Othello game shown off at E3, or even just surfing the web or something.

The problem isn't the fact that the Wii U can't handle more than one tablet, because it should be able to. The problem is managing two HD quality streams to two different tablets while still processing the "the most up-to-date HD images" on TV at the same time. After all, didn't Reggie/Miyamoto/Iwata say that it can support two different controllers at once after E3? 

The tablets working indepently of each other sounds like a plan, but I doubt that developers will take advantage of it until Nintendo does themselves, and I doubt they will.