By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2011: Top 10 games thus far (META SCORES) [UPDATED: Uncharted3 92; Skryim 96; Zelda 95]

RolStoppable said:
The_Joker_Product said:

And i doubt the horse riding is better in Mario Galaxy. Theres no need to be funny or anything, you knew what i meant.

If you don't mean "every single way", then don't type "every single way".

But seriously, I know what you mean. What you are saying is that you don't like Mario, so reviewers shouldn't like Mario either. I understand that. If it were up to me, the Metascores for RDR and AC would be in the 50s, generously speaking.

Sorry i didnt expect anyone to single out specific tiny details that werent really present in one of the games, but theres always someone, thats kind of way i said gameplay as a whole.

I have a few Mario Games theyre fine, but compared to any top game on PS3/Xbox they dont compare at all.

Around the Network

Maybe the reason the Galaxy games were given such a high score is because they were genre defining titles, showcasing unbridled creativity and imagination??

Criticising Mario for having the same story completely misses the point of playing a Mario game--you don't play to save the princess, you play to enjoy the mechanics within the game that are necessary to 'save the princess': to go from A to B via triple jumps, back-flips, obstacle courses, apples suspended in space, gravity puzzles, rotating blocks floating in the void, the power-ups and the puzzles and obstacles they allow, to capture the star or reach the flag. You play for the sake of playing, for the joy of playing--for cause and effect in a sense that isn't strung up by narrative or scripted sequences, the cause and effect of running and jumping and pulling and pushing on different parts of the level, for the play-ground feel of some levels, for the gauntlet and obstacle course styling of others, and for the one-shot wonder levels that Galaxy throws at you--amazing ideas that are used for 5 minutes and never appear in the game again.

To suggest that because they do different things to cinematic or sandbox games, they are automatically inferior, is utterly blind. I'm fine with you not liking Mario or Zelda--but to suggest that as series they haven't and that they don't continue to do amazing things for game design and gaming in general is an utterly empty suggestion. You argue that reviewers are blinded or swayed by the Mario or Zelda tag into giving games a higher score--but the truth is, you are blinded and swayed by the Mario or Zelda tag into believing that they're the same empty bag of tricks pushed out on an endless cycle, unworthy of the highest praise. The Mario brand isn't affecting critics judgement of a great series on a wide level, it's simply affecting your narrow judgement of a great series. If you were to play Mario Galaxy without the Mario paint, with the same ingenious level design, gravity puzzles, tight controls, excellent camera and orchestrated score, perhaps you'd actually love it.

Who knows??? Mario and Zelda are judged for what they are--and what they are usually tends to be fantastic games. Maybe you're just a troll and this is a waste of time on my part. Maybe critics realise that games are judged for what they do as a package, as part of their genre, and what they do with the features of the system they are built for--and not for what other games in completely different genres do, and that's why they score Zelda and Mario so highly. But like I said--maybe this is a waste of my time, because you won't even admit for one second that somebody else's viewpoint (whether mine or dozens of games critics) could be just as valid as your own, even if you don't personally agree with it.

lol wow man i don't even have a wii i only have ps3 and 360 but to say smg is no match to a game like rdr/uncharted/whatever is just ridiculous. if you don't see how perfect smg is for a jump and rund then it's your problem but don't try to say it's a fact.

graphics and sound aren't good? wtf it's a wii you know that right? just because the console can't have graphics like ps3 or 360 can have doesn't mean the graphics are not as good.

if you come with that i would have to say every console game is shit because my battlefield 3 on my pc look s just brilliant.

or what's the problem some have with zelda? yeah you always do the same but for example what can you do in uncharted? you can climb and shoot. it's always the same climbing which is not even a challenge drake does almost everything by himself you just have to push a button and climb in the right direction. the shooting sequences are not really the best the genre has seen but it's still a great game i would give 93%

but zelda makes everything better than it's competition. mario makes everything better than it's competition. why do you even compare uncharted with mario? and if i would put mario in uncharted it wouldn't get the same score as well haha

€dit: asriel explained it perfectly. story is just not what you play mario for. it's the same like i would never play uncharted for the shooting sequences because i don't really like them in this game. i play it for the nice landscape and the story/acting. if you guys need a great story ok then mario isn't for you but you just can't say because you need a perfect story that everyone has to need a great story and a game can't be great without that.

it's still a videogame and not a movie. not every game has to be like a movie to be great.

Sad to see uncharted 3 dip to 92 but it' still universal acclaim, still my game of the year. I got a question if anybody can help me out. Why is it that the PS3 version has 33 reviews and 96, while the 360 has 77 reviews and a 94. How exactly does that work? It's multiplatform, shouldn't it all go into one?

EDIT: This whole argument on mario and zelda and HD exclusives is pretty stupid. Just about every post has a biased opinion. Hell, I do to. PS3/360 Exlcusives > Wii Exclusives. One group isn't to convinced the other, so why bother?

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

crissindahouse said:

lol wow man i don't even have a wii i only have ps3 and 360 but to say smg is no match to a game like rdr/uncharted/whatever is just ridiculous. if you don't see how perfect smg is for a jump and rund then it's your problem but don't try to say it's a fact.

graphics and sound aren't good? wtf it's a wii you know that right? just because the console can't have graphics like ps3 or 360 can have doesn't mean the graphics are not as good.

if you come with that i would have to say every console game is shit because my battlefield 3 on my pc look s just brilliant.

or what's the problem some have with zelda? yeah you always do the same but for example what can you do in uncharted? you can climb and shoot. it's always the same climbing which is not even a challenge drake does almost everything by himself you just have to push a button and climb in the right direction. the shooting sequences are not really the best the genre has seen but it's still a great game i would give 93%

but zelda makes everything better than it's competition. mario makes everything better than it's competition. why do you even compare uncharted with mario? and if i would put mario in uncharted it wouldn't get the same score as well haha

€dit: asriel explained it perfectly. story is just not what you play mario for. it's the same like i would never play uncharted for the shooting sequences because i don't really like them in this game. i play it for the nice landscape and the story/acting. if you guys need a great story ok then mario isn't for you but you just can't say because you need a perfect story that everyone has to need a great story and a game can't be great without that.

Thats the thing, its just jump and run, thats all you've done in these games since the first one, Little Big Planet had jump and run, but unlike Galaxy it allowed anyone to create their own levels to the extent of their imagination, the levels some of the people have made far exceed the official levels in the game. Theres literally millions of levels and never ending content.

The sequel introduced racing and other things, yet those games get a metacritic of 95 and 92. Whereas Mario can magically get a 97, but its only because its Mario.

Graphics are fine for a Wii game but still inferior to PS3/Xbox, not its fault but anothe reason why its no match. Musics also fine its that the characters dont talk and mumble out some childish babble instead.

Even if people dont play the games for the story they still have one, and everyone one is the same, they cant change it up even a little bit. A game that just involves you running around and jumping like in all the previous games should not get a 97. That 97 is higher than every single PS3 or Xbox game except for GTAIV which its reviews were paid for anyway.

Around the Network

@the_joker

yes it's just jump and rund and now? gt5 is just racing. fifa is just football but if it's a perfcet soccer game it will get plenty of 10/10

good you aren't a reviewer because you just couldn't do the job.

with your logic a fifa game couldn't get better reviews than 2/10 or a D-

and sry but yes little big planet has more like you said but the jump and rund sequences aren't as good as the sequences in mario games. maybe it has something mario doesn't have but the jumping is so much better in smg.

The_Joker_Product said:

Mario Galaxy is nothing compared to Red Dead Redemption or Arkham City, it loses to it in every single way. Graphics, story, characters, online, lenght, gameplay, sound etc.

personally, i can think of no Xbox360/Ps3 game that is better than Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Galaxy 2 (i own all 3 consoles)

the best thing is, that Super Mario Galaxy is such an amazing game, that even with worse graphics and story, without online, it's still rated better than maaany major Ps3/Xbox360 games

and the fact that this has been a very silent year for Wii, with a heck of big games that came out for HD consoles, where a single hardcore Wii game from Nintendo (for a console that its priority is not hardcore anyway) is enough to take the top spot in reviews, just proves how amazing Nintendo is

hopefully it stays up there

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

crissindahouse said:

it's still a videogame and not a movie. not every game has to be like a movie to be great.

you said

"then it's your problem but don't try to say it's a fact."

then said

"zelda makes everything better than it's competition. mario makes everything better than it's competition."

"drake does almost everything by himself you just have to push a button"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTgLTrTfqE

sure climbing in uncharted isn't complex or anything but the point regardless is that it offers a greater variety of gameplay mechanics than most games in its genre

Areym said:

Sad to see uncharted 3 dip to 92 but it' still universal acclaim, still my game of the year. I got a question if anybody can help me out. Why is it that the PS3 version has 33 reviews and 96, while the 360 has 77 reviews and a 94. How exactly does that work? It's multiplatform, shouldn't it all go into one?

EDIT: This whole argument on mario and zelda and HD exclusives is pretty stupid. Just about every post has a biased opinion. Hell, I do to. PS3/360 Exlcusives > Wii Exclusives. One group isn't to convinced the other, so why bother?

Multiplatform games (I assume you're talking about Batman, since you didn't mention any specific title) might be different in some aspects. Some might have exclusive DLC or there might be some glaring flaws that only exist on one version (due to porting, as an example). I don't know if there's any glaring differences between the versions of Arkham City, but the main differences in the scores is because of the number of reviews.

The_Joker_Product said:

Thats the thing, its just jump and run, thats all you've done in these games since the first one, Little Big Planet had jump and run, but unlike Galaxy it allowed anyone to create their own levels to the extent of their imagination, the levels some of the people have made far exceed the official levels in the game. Theres literally millions of levels and never ending content.

The sequel introduced racing and other things, yet those games get a metacritic of 95 and 92. Whereas Mario can magically get a 97, but its only because its Mario.

Graphics are fine for a Wii game but still inferior to PS3/Xbox, not its fault but anothe reason why its no match. Musics also fine its that the characters dont talk and mumble out some childish babble instead.

Even if people dont play the games for the story they still have one, and everyone one is the same, they cant change it up even a little bit. A game that just involves you running around and jumping like in all the previous games should not get a 97. That 97 is higher than every single PS3 or Xbox game except for GTAIV which its reviews were paid for anyway.

And FIFA is just run and kick, and Gran Turismo is just turning left and turning right, and Street Fighter is just kicks and punches and jumps, and all are great games.