By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How does stuff like this happen???

Damn. Their acknowledgement (or lack thereof) was sickening. As far as the "accident" goes, I've seen far worse. There are a few websites dedicated to such horrific, graphical contents like these out there.

Around the Network

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1071012--outrage-in-china-over-shocking-video-of-toddler-left-to-die-on-road?bn=1

Sorry guys, it appears the girl has passed away.

Chrizum said:
brendude13 said:
Chrizum said:
You can't. I don't understand this case at all.

The only explanation I can think of is the Chinese rule that parents are allowed only one child, and it happened that girls were killed in order to have your single child being a boy. But as far as I know this rule has not been in effect anymore for a while now. Perhaps the Chinese people still value little girls less though, I don't know.

I have Chinese friends and they don't run little girls over...

Obviously I don't mean that China as a whole hates girls, but perhaps that part of China is less eager to help a girl child than most other parts of the world. It's probably far fetched, I'm just trying to find an explanation for this bizarre incident.

Haha, I was just kidding.

Anyway, I shouldn't be kidding. I can't believe she died, that's terrible.

My dear God. I read about it but can't bring myself to watch the video. This absolutely breaks my heart. It is truly horrifying that there are so many frozen hearted people in the world. What is there to fear but apathy.

I still can't believe what i saw. One of the top comments explains why the people ignored her, but it is still inhumane.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

This is an extreme case but similar levels of apathy exist everywhere in big urban areas. It reminds me a bit of the tv show "What would you do". For example they had tests with a (fake) crying baby left alone in a locked car on a sunny day. A little child lost on the street asking for help, A guy falling down and laying in the middle of the side walk. Most people walk by and ignore it.

The most common excuse was "Someone else will help, I don't have time / want to get involved". "The mother is probably nearby". "It's probably just a drunk homeless guy." Actually the only person who stopped to help the guy on the sidewalk was a homeless person.

The human brain is also quite good at blocking these things out, especially when you are on autopilot going somewhere. Living in busy cities has conditioned most people to walk through them while blocking most of it out. Even looking directly at something horrific does not guarantee that it will actually register directly. That comes 5-10 seconds later and not many people turn back at that point. Instead they generate excuses to keep going, someone else will surely help.

Apparently both drivers were found and arrested. I hope they get what's coming to them, mostly the first. He should be run over and left to die slowly.

And God, that video is so hard to watch, especially when the father starts crying. I bet he's pissed his wife left her alone.

The girl died. =(

http://www.shanghaidaily.org/article/?id=484913&type=National

May she rest in peace, it's hard to stop thinking about this tragedy.

It's a shame the passerbys can't be prosecuted. Apparently that's only possible in some places. France, Germany and Serbia are part of the few countries that do have laws on providing assistance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue

I never knew this but it's also possible to be held liable for further damage in the United States. Many states implement good samaritan law but it does not always protect non emergency personnel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law
What has the world come to that you need laws to protect you for helping others.

First aid, cpr and how to handle victims should be taught in school from an early age imo. Germany is on the right track "In Germany, knowledge of basic emergency measures and First Aid and CPR Certification is a prerequisite for the granting of a driving license."

I just read that article and I feel so bad. I haven't watched the video and quite frankly I really don't want to. And I don't have to see it to understand the situation (aimed at rol). I don't know what to think of the 18 people who passed by but the 2 drivers deserve some very heavy prison time.