By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Atheists,Whats your reason?

Paul said:

You're the one who doesn't understand what atheist means. Look it up before you start a thread about it.

a·the·ist  (th-st)
n.
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[4][5] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists

it is correct but it doesn't give you the whole info

if people were athiest they will not live a moral life as they think life will end at death and karma isn't there.

but people live a moral life as it is

Deism - no karma no hell

theism - scaring people into living normal life by offering heaven and showing underground as hell

pantheism - moral way of life that that most are already living.karma decides you realms

Around the Network
Areym said:
snakenobi said:
RolStoppable said:
snakenobi said:

so you fell into the trap that children are born with religion of their parents.i know that thinking,most people have it

anyways,pantheism and Buddhism isn't about somebody telling you about what is correct or not,it is about you deciding.

That "trap" really isn't about thinking, it's something that just goes on your birth certificate.

Not picking any religion is also all about me deciding, so I don't see why I should bother with what any religion has to offer when I already have what I want.

there are religion which don't offer anything

they are just like atheist thinking of life is a gift and do everything yourself thinking

most people who say they are atheist lack knowledge and think all religion are the same about heaven and hell.

Then why the hell bother?

spreading info on pantheistic lives most athiest live and lack of knowledge for which they call themselves athiest

not trying to offend

Mr.Ashtear said:
snakenobi said:
Mr.Ashtear said:
snakenobi said:
Mr.Ashtear said:
Because I´m not afraid of death, finitism and randomness of the Universe. The need to sofocate those fears are the major reason for the creation of the concept of gods, imo.

so you think religious people are afraid of death?

Buddhism has no GOD's and atheism is about being pantheist which is the same as Buddhism

it is the same. A belief in and need for transcendence  as a psychological shield against the horror of the finite. 

no its not as you are still a part of whatever is there not looking for what outside it

calling urself atheist send out the wrong message and spreads ignorance

you need to elaborate on your arguments beyond "no its not!". Of course all religious are based on the fear of death, isnt it that the promise of all of them? to transcend death?

atheism = a-theism, theism from theos, "God". Areligious would be a more fitting term, I agree. 

atheism - no god,no consequences,no heaven,no hell

deism - god,heaven,hell,consequences

pantheism - no god,consequence,no heaven,no hell,reincarnations depending on karma

snakenobi said:
RolStoppable said:
snakenobi said:

there are religion which don't offer anything

they are just like atheist thinking of life is a gift and do everything yourself thinking

most people who say they are atheist lack knowledge and think all religion are the same about heaven and hell.

But I am not one of those. I know that there are differences between various religions, but what reason is there to subscribe to the beliefs of any one of those? There really is none aside from the desire to be part of a larger group of people and be considered "normal" by society standards.

nobody is telling you to subscribe to anything

pantheism and eastern relgions aren't about going to church for forgiveness or invetment(as you called in before)

most athiest follow a maral way of life but if you do then you aren't an athiest as you would not be living morally if you thought live would end at death and there is no karma.

pantheism is about that only that you live a moral way of life which is the same thing said in all relegions.buddhism isn't about subscribing but its jst principals that we already have in our lives.

people panic as they think we have to live this way of we will have karma or hell.if you jst standback and notice life a bit,we are already living a moral life so people don't have to panic jst be what they are already

God punishment or after-life´s rewards are  far from being the major factor that makes people act "morally". An atheist can behave morally and been totally coherent with his non-belief of a superior being. You behave morally because thats THE RIGHT AND LOGICAL THING TO DO in order to have an harmonious society. 

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

Andrespetmonkey said:

Atheism means I don't believe in a god, that's it. I easily believe in will power and still be an athiest. Dude, stop making claims you can't back up or stating your opinion as fact.

I'm an atheist, and I don't think my life is worthless.

atheism also means there are no consequences.

if no consequences then people wouldn't live in a moral way

also atheist do not believe in the existence soemthing magical happening which happens alot with willpower,they are hell bent on logic

you are confused btw atheism and pantheism.you think atheism only mean not believing in GOD and think the universe works itself randomly.

atheist seems to blindly belief in logic when at the same time to mock relgion to be blind

read a bit on quantum mechanics and know the connection between religion and science

Andrespetmonkey said:   on agnostic meaning relgion work in progress

What the hell are you talking about? Not at all.

can you elaborate how?

another thing,you think religion and science are in two different worlds.

they are both connected.everything is

example:

to say not believing in higher power aka GOD and at the same time saying  things like willpower are applicable to this world are nuts as willpower contradicts science alot of time as science is only information known untill that time.

once a feat of magic happens through willpower,science explains it and incorporates

Around the Network
snakenobi said:
zarx said:

"The basic concepts of Pantheism comprise:

Reverence for Nature and the wider Universe.

not wider universe,just the universe whatever it is and urself

Active respect and care for the rights of all humans and other living beings.

Celebration or our lives in our bodies on this beautiful earth as a joy and a privilege.

its not about caring about others but urself

for example retaliation to an attack from a foolish person would only people you turning into the same thing you were fighting aginst

if you think of urself and right way you can satisfy urself,you will itself not dissatisfy anybody else which will never bring war or the feeling of hurting another one

Realism - acceptance that the external world exists independently of human consciousness or perception.

yes but different people perceive it differently

Strong naturalism, without belief in supernatural realms, afterlives, beings or forces.

afterlife not in the same realm and as we perceive in as humans but a different realm

Respect for reason, evidence and the scientific method as our best ways of understanding nature and the Universe.

Promotion of religious tolerance, freedom of religion and complete separation of state and religion."

if you only concern urslef then relgious tolerance will be very easy

its not about freedom religion but freedom of the way most people think of religion

Everything else is basically humanisim which is not a religion, hell Panthiesim is barely a religion it's self.

pantheim is not a relgion it denotes the type of religion and don't mix ignorant thinking of GOD=relgion

deism - atheism

theism - abrahamic relgion

pantheism - Buddhism

Religion defined for clarity as 

1. A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

religon is about an ethical way of living 

its not for any cause or purpose,yeah many people think of it and talk about supremacy but they really haven't read their relgious book

2. A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

the teaching and its meaning is all the same,a moral way of life.

the start and end is whats twisted.

also many religious folks blindly follow religion as they think whatever written in the book will happen continuously again and again when some of the things are jst related to a specific time regarding and start and end of the world

And the world does make sense it's all cause and effect, it's not fair or ordered and full of things that we have no control of.

we might not have control over all things but we do on some as its that exchange where we cause something.

That in no way makes me weak and I don't see how it would. And I especially don't see how identifying myself as a Panthiest would change that or make me weaker or stronger.

i am speaking in long term and metaphorical sense here

for example:men in todays world if they show emotions are considered weak,which is the wrong things as jst being urself is known as weak and we follow this stereotype set in the society.so to attach yuorself to this world and express urself is considered weak.but a time comes when people know that they were blind and not enjoying what life was meant to be

Only a weak person would feel then need for religion to feel strong.

after so much and you still think relgion is locked to theistic beliefs? 

also if a person is athiest he would not follow the moral code as karma doesn't effect the

even then most atheist follow the moral code which is a pantheist way of life not an atheistic

if somebody were really a true atheist then they would not life to be attached to this world,relations,society

Are you seriusly going to debate the official concepts of Pantheism and the dictionary definition of religion now? 

So you are now saying that not being religious doesn't make you weak but you are just saying that you consider non religious people weak? Well I don't really care what you think so... meh?

Religion is not purely about theistic beliefs but Athiesm is about the lack of thiestic belifes and as the thread is clearly labled that is what I am talking about. And an athiest can belive in karma as long as he/she doesn't belive there is some consius diety or spirit controlling it. I think you are confusing Athiests with anarchists or something... 

You don't even have to belong to a religion to belive in god let alone be an upstanding citizen...

So yea you are just trolling right? You are really not that stupid right?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

snakenobi said:

atheism also means there are no consequences.

if no consequences then people wouldn't live in a moral way

If you're only behaving in a certain way for fear of punishment, that is not morality. Morality is being able to do something wrong, and choosing not to because of knowledge that it would negatively effect others, rather than yourself.

Mr.Ashtear said:

God punishment or after-life´s rewards are  far from being the major factor that makes people act "morally". An atheist can behave morally and been totally coherent with his non-belief of a superior being.

You behave morally because thats THE RIGHT AND LOGICAL THING TO DO in order to have an harmonious society. 

yes but thats not being athiest but panthiest

an athiest will feel superior as he would think their are no consequences

zarx said:

now you are just talking nonsense willpower is mesurable and is a real aspect of a person's personality and is in no way in conflict with athisim.

elaborate how willpower is measurable?

atheism follow blind faith in science but science is information collected upto current time.

it can explain and prove things that have been seen until current time

but if a person exhibits something through willpower then science explain it and incorporated it after it

but science wouldn't know it beforehand

scottie said:

If you're only behaving in a certain way for fear of punishment, that is not morality. Morality is being able to do something wrong,and choosing not to because of knowledge that it would negatively effect others, rather than yourself.

yes but over time we understand and stop the immoral behaviour as we know we have to maintain relations to this world

but atheist would continue in the same manner until death