By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 2012 - *February* Update

IT won't beat PS3. The Euroepan and Japanese Market Especially don't care about the Xbox. In fact if it wasn't for the UK PS3 would have a 5 Million+ lead over 360 globally Lifetime sales by now. I've been to most European countires, Spain France Italy Switzerlsand and a few others and the Xbox is a hardcore console and PS3 is far more popular based on Brand name alone.

People need to learn about brand Recognition and Loyalty. Compare Xbox sales to PS2 in THOSE REGIONS. PS2 outsold Xbox like 10:1, 20:1 in Japan, In America is was only 3:1 or something like that.

MS have done as well as they could have by Doubling the sales of Xbox and increasing their Userbase by over 100% from their last console, Sony have lost market Share since last gen. There isn't anything MS can do except keep selling machines until end of the gen. They've already won in North America.

PS3 wil outsell 360 globally sometime next year and then finish about 1-2 million sales ahead by the time next gen starts, peopel will claim Sony won but really it was a 50/50 battle that NOONE expected start of the gen. IMO MS won already by doubling the userbase of their previous console.

---

Around the Network

This is borderline impossible now.

I can't see anything MS have prepared putting them ahead, short of releasing in China or something. Didn't MS have plans for that? Perhaps they got the green light to release there this November? Other than that, there is nothing they can do.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

It does seem to be getting to the point where it's impossible now, especially after seeing the past week's numbers.

thx1139 said:
Michael-5 said:
thx1139 said:
Michael-5 said:

The Zelda fan that bought Twilight Princess for Gamecube, and people who are looking for a good excuse to get a Wii now. Hew I bought my Wii last fall for Donkey Kong.

No Software title will cause any console to skyrocket? What does Call of Duty do every year?

So you bought a Wii for another title already. My point. I bet with 90 million Wii's sold that the vast vast majority of Zelda fans have already picked up a Wii especially since I bet there are very few Zelda fans that arent Nintendo fans.

Call of Duty does not cause any consoles to skyrocket. What a  hundred thousand extra consoles, maybe. That is not skyrocket. 

Last year people were saying that anyone who really wanted a Wii already had one, then I, and many others, broke that belief and got a Wii.

You don't have to have a Wii already to be a Zelda fan, and Skyward Sword will likely bring in new fans too. Plus Wii got a price cut this fall, so cheaper Zelda fans now have a reason to get a Wii.

100,000 extra isn't exactly sky rocket, too bad Block Ops increased 360 sales by 46% last year (160k), and that's not considering that Kinect Adventures also pushed sales 69% the week prior (138k).

If it causes sales to double, I consider it sky rocketing....

Last year the week that Black Ops came out:
360 jumped 44% - 160K
Wii jumped 46% - 150K (Black  Ops for Wii was ranked 18th in sales that week selling 90K)
PS3 jumped 21% - 65K

I supposed that for the 360 and PS3 that was all Black Ops and nothing about it was seasonal or in the case of the 360 continued boost from Kinect launch.  No the bumps were because of seasonal factors, Kinect launch factors, and a new high profile game.  I never stated that everyone that wants a Wii has already purchased one. I said it is highly likely that such a prominent Nintendo franchise beloved by the Nintendo faithful will be overwhelmingly purchased by people that already have a Wii.  Will the Wii bump? Sure. Will it have meaningful effect to change the direction this holiday sales season will head? Very unlikely.

Seasonal factors only account for 10-25% weekly jumps. 360 gained 70% the Week of Kinect and another 44% for Black Ops and then sales dropped 13% )9% for PS3). Wii sales kept chugging along, but at 18%.

Oh for the Wii bump with Zelda this fall, it won't change trends, thats not what I was trying to get at, at all. Just that 1 week Wii sales will tower over the HD consoles, and hundred of thousands of people will buy a Wii because of this game.

I still know people who said they won't buy a Wii until they see a Zelda exclusive. Now that Wii U is announced, I think they might wait, but still, people are out there who have been waiting.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Troll_Whisperer said:

I can't see anything MS have prepared putting them ahead, short of releasing in China or something. Didn't MS have plans for that? Perhaps they got the green light to release there this November? Other than that, there is nothing they can do.

do u want to know something funny? the last 2 things i heard about that was MS didn't like the deal and Seece made a thrread about MS entering China, or seeming to.

whats even funnyer is that Sony has the same plan. its all about who launches first. at this point there nothing MS can do aside from releasing Halo 4 on black friday which wouldn't close the gap by the much.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

do u want to know something funny? the last 2 things i heard about that was MS didn't like the deal and Seece made a thrread about MS entering China, or seeming to.

whats even funnyer is that Sony has the same plan. its all about who launches first. at this point there nothing MS can do aside from releasing Halo 4 on black friday which wouldn't close the gap by the much.

Well, if they don't do that they have to cut the price to $99 or have some other kind of crazy genious plan.

Most probably their comments were just a bit of FUD and we're taking them too seriously.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Troll_Whisperer said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

Well, if they don't do that they have to cut the price to $99 or have some other kind of crazy genious plan.

Most probably their comments were just a bit of FUD and we're taking them too seriously.

well i had already predicted MS wouldn't make a pricedrop cause theres no need for it. Sony will need another PD next yr. to counter MS unless they have a full list of JRPG's.

the last month MS has to make any changes is Dec. and if they don't do it the wk or days before chsitmas they won't win. i never to there statments seriously. but when Sony said it i took them seriously and they've shown lots of growth.

if MS is waiting on BF and MW3 to boost sells tht high for the rest of the your they've lost it.

+70000 for PS3 on Uncharted week! And we still have Ninokuni & FFXIII-2 and their respective special edition PS3s. Microsoft can start writing its losing speech...

I think people are forgetting those insane Wal-Mart 360 deals.

Depending on how many 360s were made just for Wal-Mart during those deals I could see the gap closing.

Then again the $99 Wiis will probably give Nintendo some breathing room to.

It's just that simple.

Troll_Whisperer said:

When you don't think like a gaming company you wont attract more gamers. They are solely focused on what brought them to the dance, Halo and social gaming. Next gen will not start out the way it did this gen. Microsoft had their 15 minutes. Looking at the Vitas price, Sony seems to have learned their lesson. If they launch the next Playstation at a decent price with exceptional hardware Microsoft will be in big trouble. Kinect was a smart plan by Microsoft because it is keeping the 360 afloat. The question is when will the novelty's charm run out?  We will see, but it surely wont last as long as the Wii. Look at Nintendo now, they are desperate for the core whom are the backbone of stable sales.