By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 2012 - *February* Update

psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
People, MS already told us how many they shipped. The problem is a lot of those shipments are haven't been sold yet.

Why are you so arrogant 0_o, they havn't told us how many they've shipped, they've said 66m+. They did exactly the last last CES with 50m, and shipped 800k above that.

Like I said, if they ship 66.5 that's 2.8m on shelves. Which is far too much.

While I agree 3 million is a lot, I still would understand why there is so many 360's out there. Everyone's expectation fell short, way short. MS expected huge numbers, and made sure they had enough. Even in 2010, when stock was an issue they sold over 1.7 million. Retailers ordered a lot but consumers did not show up. 

As as the Europe thing, seriously, come on. I think numbers are down over there too for all the consoles. 

Oh I'm sure you would, why not bump it up to 5m and have the PS3 overtake the 360 in LTD sales?

MS don't ship all their stock the first week of December, they ship throughout the month, retailers wouldn't keep ordering through the month if sales were flat/down, not to the levels you expect anyway.

You may well be right on Europe, you can't strike it out yet though. MS did extensive advertising there this holiday so it is a possibility.

it's fair to say some overshipping has happened, but not to the extent of 3m.

Let say the 360 is overtracked in Europe or others, We know the UK, it did well. But where would these numbers be? It's not France, Germany or Italy. Software numbers say otherwise. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_live#Availability

Around the Network
D-Joe said:

how much overtracked of both console?

but like i said,if it's undertracked,it's more likely in MEA...well no one cares

leave for one or few weeks

360 overtracked by ~45k, PS3 overtracked by ~80k, according to that thread.

Carl2291 said:
I posted this in another thread - 360 (and PS3) was overtracked in France for 2011.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=138765&page=1

That's one country where it can't be undertracked. Do we have data from any other EU countries?

Germany SW 2011 Top20:

Top 20: Multiplattform - 2011
1. FIFA 12 (PS3)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
3. Battlefield 3 (PC)
4. Wii Party (Wii)
5. Battlefield 3 (PS3)
6. Pokémon: Weiße Edition (NDS)
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
8. Pokémon: Schwarze Edition (NDS)
9. Just Dance 3 (Wii)
10. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
11. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PC)
12. FIFA 12 (Xbox 360)
13. Anno 2070 (PC)
14. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS3)
15. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
16. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
17. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
18. Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC)
19. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
20. Die Sims 3 (PC)

Source: http://www.gamereactor.de/News/11031/Deutsche+Jahrescharts+2011/

With only two X360 titles in the Top20 and Kinect Sports at 61 I don't think X360 is massively undertracked in Germany.

Carl2291 said:
I posted this in another thread - 360 (and PS3) was overtracked in France for 2011.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=138765&page=1

That's one country where it can't be undertracked. Do we have data from any other EU countries?

On a related note, NPD put PS3 at 1.4 million in Australia back in Septmeber. Having just passed LTD sales of the 360 there and selling about triple of it there per week, even after the 360's own price cut there. I can only see up to November 12th but VGC had both Australia and New Zealand combined at 1369k as of then. NZ should be in the 250k-300k range. IIRC Gfk put it at about 160k back at the end of 2009. We're probably undertracking it by over 400k there. 360 looks to be undertracked by about 100k-200k there as well though.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

postofficebuddy said:

On a related note, NPD put PS3 at 1.4 million in Australia back in Septmeber. Having just passed LTD sales of the 360 there and selling about triple of it there per week, even after the 360's own price cut there. I can only see up to November 12th but VGC had both Australia and New Zealand combined at 1369k as of then. NZ should be in the 250k-300k range. IIRC Gfk put it at about 160k back at the end of 2009. We're probably undertracking it by over 400k there. 360 looks to be undertracked by about 100k-200k there as well though.

Give us links, charts, anything!

Anything that can get the numbers to be more accurate, we can put forward to Brett and the team.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
postofficebuddy said:

Anything that can get the numbers to be more accurate, we can put forward to Brett and the team.

My mistake, it was actually 117k in NZ. Should still be around 250k though.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=107096

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/blogs/screenplay/ps3-leading-2011-australian-console-sales-20111025-1mi9f.html

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

postofficebuddy said:
Carl2291 said:
postofficebuddy said:

My mistake, it was actually 117k in NZ. Should still be around 250k though.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=107096

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/blogs/screenplay/ps3-leading-2011-australian-console-sales-20111025-1mi9f.html

Not ltd, article says ytd

So confused, I'm kinda new around here so pardon my ignorance. Gone through so many pages and I can't seem to find definitive result of who sold more this year. How long do we have to wait before the companies release some sort of statement and irrefutably answer this question?

liu777 - well Sony and Nintendo have had all week to refute MS's claims.....

But while we'll get a rough idea - we won't EVER really know the figures down to the last unit sold, by country. Sony/MS/Nintendo's EOFY reports will give us a better idea of their WW numbers - but unfortunately - when it comes to a magic bell ringing everytime a console is sold around the world and a number clicking over on a big counter somewhere while people gather round for "the latest numbers" - the world isn't like that!

VGChartz do an awesome job - but we can't expect them to be omniscient!

When? Shipped VGC On Shelves
End of 2006 10.4m 8.1m 2.3m
End of 2007  17.7m 16.0m 1.7m
End of 2008  28.5m 26.7m 1.8m
End of 2009 38.8m 36.9m 1.9m
End of 2010 50.8m 46.2m 0.6m (supply issues)
End of 2011 66.0m? 63.7m? 2.3m?

ethomaz posted this earlier, and I think this is important to understand this confusing situation

A "normal" number of 360s to have on the shelves would be something between 1.5M and 2M (considering previous years).

According to VGC, at the end of last year there was 2.3M 360s on the shelves (let´s assume that the over 66M quote is 66.0M).

A lot of people say that those numbers are impossible, and that the 360 is undertracked (and buy undertracked I presume "big" numbers not just 100k) in other areas outside of US, these people are dismissing one factor I already said elsewhere.

There is no way retailers/MS expected to sell just 50k more 360s in December(5w) then they did in November(4w), we are talking about the US market. That is why it would not surprise me if, in addiction to those 1.5M-2M "normal numbers", you could easily add 0.5M (or even more) consoles that were wrongly shipped/bought by retailers based on miscalculated demand. 

Two aspects that help the "undertracked in other areas" theory is the fact that the 360 is still 0.4M overtracked in US in December (according to NPD), and the MS quote about "over 66M", it could be 67M or more

My point is that anything between 2M-2.7M would not surprise me if you take into account the surprising US numbers the 360 (and the other 2) had in a December month where bigger numbers where expected (educated guesses VGC, Pachter, and EDDAR).

P.S. It bugs me that we still have to wait for the Nintendo graphics to really know more about this, when both Sony and MS could easily do the same even if they had slightly different numbers.