By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 2012 - *February* Update

amaral_slb said:
When? Shipped VGC On Shelves
End of 2006 10.4m 8.1m 2.3m
End of 2007  17.7m 16.0m 1.7m
End of 2008  28.5m 26.7m 1.8m
End of 2009 38.8m 36.9m 1.9m
End of 2010 50.8m 46.2m 0.6m (supply issues)
End of 2011 66.0m? 63.7m? 2.3m?

ethomaz posted this earlier, and I think this is important to understand this confusing situation

A "normal" number of 360s to have on the shelves would be something between 1.5M and 2M (considering previous years).

According to VGC, at the end of last year there was 2.3M 360s on the shelves (let´s assume that the over 66M quote is 66.0M).

A lot of people say that those numbers are impossible, and that the 360 is undertracked (and buy undertracked I presume "big" numbers not just 100k) in other areas outside of US, these people are dismissing one factor I already said elsewhere.

There is no way retailers/MS expected to sell just 50k more 360s in December(5w) then they did in November(4w), we are talking about the US market. That is why it would not surprise me if, in addiction to those 1.5M-2M "normal numbers", you could easily add 0.5M (or even more) consoles that were wrongly shipped/bought by retailers based on miscalculated demand.

Two aspects that help the "undertracked in other areas" theory is the fact that the 360 is still 0.4M overtracked in US in December (according to NPD), and the MS quote about "over 66M", it could be 67M or more

My point is that anything between 2M-2.7M would not surprise me if you take into account the surprising US numbers the 360 (and the other 2) had in a December month where bigger numbers where expected (educated guesses VGC, Pachter, and EDDAR).

P.S. It bugs me that we still have to wait for the Nintendo graphics to really know more about this, when both Sony and MS could easily do the same even if they had slightly different numbers.

I think a little of both.

Undertracked by 300-500k in others contries and 2.0m on shelves.

Around the Network

Will update after MS shipments, (adjus. or no adjust.) and then after Sony shipments.

Seece said:
Will update after MS shipments, (adjus. or no adjust.) and then after Sony shipments.

I think for purposes of adjustment the Nintendo's data are more important .

ethomaz said:
Seece said:

Which is in between, and is only going to remedy Europe.

When are shipments statements for the Big 3 released?

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
When are shipments statements for the Big 3 released?

MS - This Thursday
Nintendo - Next Thursday
Sony - Next Next Thursday

ethomaz said:
Seece said:

actually microsoft data more important

I really expect the LTD of 360 can reach around 66.3~66.4M. I will keep praying for this till Thursday.

amaral_slb said:
When? Shipped VGC On Shelves
End of 2006 10.4m 8.1m 2.3m
End of 2007  17.7m 16.0m 1.7m
End of 2008  28.5m 26.7m 1.8m
End of 2009 38.8m 36.9m 1.9m
End of 2010 50.8m 46.2m 0.6m (supply issues)
End of 2011 66.0m? 63.7m? 2.3m?

ethomaz posted this earlier, and I think this is important to understand this confusing situation

A "normal" number of 360s to have on the shelves would be something between 1.5M and 2M (considering previous years).

According to VGC, at the end of last year there was 2.3M 360s on the shelves (let´s assume that the over 66M quote is 66.0M).

A lot of people say that those numbers are impossible, and that the 360 is undertracked (and buy undertracked I presume "big" numbers not just 100k) in other areas outside of US, these people are dismissing one factor I already said elsewhere.

There is no way retailers/MS expected to sell just 50k more 360s in December(5w) then they did in November(4w), we are talking about the US market. That is why it would not surprise me if, in addiction to those 1.5M-2M "normal numbers", you could easily add 0.5M (or even more) consoles that were wrongly shipped/bought by retailers based on miscalculated demand. 

Two aspects that help the "undertracked in other areas" theory is the fact that the 360 is still 0.4M overtracked in US in December (according to NPD), and the MS quote about "over 66M", it could be 67M or more

My point is that anything between 2M-2.7M would not surprise me if you take into account the surprising US numbers the 360 (and the other 2) had in a December month where bigger numbers where expected (educated guesses VGC, Pachter, and EDDAR).

P.S. It bugs me that we still have to wait for the Nintendo graphics to really know more about this, when both Sony and MS could easily do the same even if they had slightly different numbers.

In USA huge BF, after huge CoD launch, what's more, could have had on successive Xmas sales the same effect the huge Halo 3 launch had years ago, anticipating a bigger than usual part of Xmas sales.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

ZaneWane said:
ethomaz said:
Seece said:

actually microsoft data more important

Not really.  MS data is mostly going to determine how many 360s were on shelves at the end of the year.  Considering VGC readjusted their numbers to NPD, instead of keeping them in line with Ballmer's CES statement, I would think VGC will wait for actual sales data from other tracking services (EU's numbers should be released with Nintendo's release) to compare to their own numbers.  I don't think they're going to pull another adjustment like they did pre-NPD.  At least I hope not.