By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ode to John Lucas the visionary

John is from the future.

Around the Network

Wasn't it at least 20m, probably 24m? That's a pretty big margin of error.

It was also his most sane prediction.

super_etecoon said:

Did I miss something? Link?

Yeah, Famitsu figures are in. Just check news section.

Uh... There were 6 or 7 of us who guessed in the 19 M + range.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

kber81 said:
super_etecoon said:

oh...didn't see that.

Of course we still have to wait for Media Create numbers.  Touch luck for VGChartz if MC numbers verify the Famitsu numbers.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
kber81 said:
super_etecoon said:

oh...didn't see that.

Of course we still have to wait for Media Create numbers.  Touch luck for VGChartz if MC numbers verify the Famitsu numbers.

Eh it happens, in a way its a good thing because it helps ioi improve his data gathering process

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

He actually said 20-24 mln (at least this is in his signature). So his prediction was simply wrong. When you give a range in your prediction you can actually be right.

The second thing is when did he made his predictions? It is different if it was a weak ago, a month ago or before Wii release. Without this information there is nothing to be excited about even if a prediction was actually correct.

kamil said:
He actually said 20-24 mln (at least this is in his signature). So his prediction was simply wrong. When you give a range in your prediction you can actually be right.

The second thing is when did he made his predictions? It is different if it was a weak ago, a month ago or before Wii release. Without this information there is nothing to be excited about even if a prediction was actually correct.

The 20 million, he's been saying for a long time, at least since march 14th

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=672 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Sure a lot of you said 18 or 19m. But that was like 4 or 5 months ago when it was obvious the Wii was doing well. JL made the prediction in 2006 on a different site. He has links to it.

But it won't really count, because the Wii won't sell six hundred thousand plus units in the two days following the last batch of data.