By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield 3 Beta - Impressions

Apparently it is the worst beta ever according to someone.

Around the Network

Battlefield 3 will be the biggest disappointment of the year.

Played yesterday... MW3 way better than BF3.

But I admit my preference for CoD over Battlefield.

I got the honour of playing the Caspian Border map (on PC ofcourse, there were ways to get in before the servers were taken offline xD). It was really fun flying jets, but you could tell the controls were optimized for consoles and it was really a pain to fly at first. I got it down but the shooting / accuracy ..I just wanted to plugin a joystiq at times. (I played about 15 matches combined on that map).

I hate Metro, it is so god damn boring and the camping.. jesus christ. Only fun part is when your down in the tunnels and confront people.

The graphics are underwhelming (i am playing on Ultra on my PC, and it doesnt look all that Ultra, but its not bad either I suppose... The consoles is really.. NOWHERE NEAR ..what.. a certain somebody *cough* Selnor claimed it to be... (Shocking huh? XD) Now I know its a beta and things DO change, but there's quite a Bad Company 2 feel to BC3 in my honest opinion. I don't see it changing much and the PC well.. I expected more aswell. Some are saying Ultra =/= Ultra and there are a handful of PC people raging over Dice dropping the ball making the game be Bad Company 3 basically (not restricted to graphics only obviously).

Im having ..somewhat fun I suppose. I'll probably pick it up (on PC if anything) but I don't know.. it's quite hard to get into. Its battlefield, you can't run around like.. quite many other games. But it's still a pain on the Metro map. I really hope Dice gives us another map, because if they expect us to help them with bugs/glitches, they really cant have us play that map. Jesus christ give us a big battlefield, CASPIAN BORDER PLEASE!

superchunk said:
Griffin said:
I think they should increase the distance and how fast you can throw out health and ammo packs. So many times i have run out of ammo and been unable to find any ammo at all and any weapons i seem to find are sniper rifles on the ground. And yes i'm using the attachment for more ammo.

Why don't your own kills show up on the killfeed aswell. Also why does the HUD move around with your head when you move back and forth.

The timing is a new element to BF series in an attempt to be more realistic... just like all the other animations. Not bad either IMO, just takes time to get used to it.

You kills do show in the middle of your screen right below your target... and I don't understand your last question.

Move your stciks back and forth and you will notice both the HUD in the bottom left and bottom right move around.

Its also way to easy to get spawn camped in the game,  i was running with another bunch of good randoms and had the attackers pinned into the corner in the very first section,  the second they were spawned in they were "spotted" so everyone could see them and they were destroyed.  Then we switch to offense and ran through all the targets until the last area where we again had them pinned to the back of the map being destroyed.  Not really sure anyone will buy the game after being on the receiving end of that.

Around the Network

I liking the beta very much!!! this is the FPS I've always wanted!!! much more tactical and realistic then CoD, I think the people complaining about it have just grown accustomed to the standard FPS mechanics/gameplay that Halo/Cod brought. and the visuals are pretty damn good, but the beta has some wild bugs...

I played the beta for a bit, and although I am a fairly new to this franchise (Played BC2 for a bit) this map doesn't represent Battlefield. As some of you mentioned there are no vehicles, and environment destruction is limited. While I liked the tactical nature of the game, there are several things that bothered me:

• Can't cook delicious grenade sammiches
  • I can only customize my loadouts in the match.
  • Sometimes it seems like I got killed with one shot.
  • Bugs. Ocasionally I can't sprint. Another time I fell under the map. But the most aggravating of all happened when a glitch prevented my team from destroying the objectives. We would try to arm the bomb, but the counter would only go halfway through and then reset.

Hopefully these issues are addressed once the game is released, or I'll be forced to return my copy.

Try Gamefly for a month and get another one free!

http://gamefly.tellapal.com/a/clk/406vc

mexmen92 said:

I played the beta for a bit, and although I am a fairly new to this franchise (Played BC2 for a bit) this map doesn't represent Battlefield. As some of you mentioned there are no vehicles, and environment destruction is limited. While I liked the tactical nature of the game, there are several things that bothered me:

• Can't cook delicious grenade sammiches
  • I can only customize my loadouts in the match.
  • Sometimes it seems like I got killed with one shot.
  • Bugs. Ocasionally I can't sprint. Another time I fell under the map. But the most aggravating of all happened when a glitch prevented my team from destroying the objectives. We would try to arm the bomb, but the counter would only go halfway through and then reset.

Hopefully these issues are addressed once the game is released, or I'll be forced to return my copy.

You have to select the grenade in your inventory to cook them. If you're on the PC version, it's default number 5 on the keyboard.

The battle log crap is getting really old fast. I think the stats and such are a nice feature if somebody wanted to see more details about how they play, but the fact that it's integrated into launching the game and what not is a huge thorn in my side, especially when I look at Firefox and it's using up a HUGE chunk of RAM. Then if I close it, I have to always go back and relaunch it from Origin just to access another server.

Aldro said:

I got the honour of playing the Caspian Border map (on PC ofcourse, there were ways to get in before the servers were taken offline xD). It was really fun flying jets, but you could tell the controls were optimized for consoles and it was really a pain to fly at first. I got it down but the shooting / accuracy ..I just wanted to plugin a joystiq at times. (I played about 15 matches combined on that map).

I hate Metro, it is so god damn boring and the camping.. jesus christ. Only fun part is when your down in the tunnels and confront people.

The graphics are underwhelming (i am playing on Ultra on my PC, and it doesnt look all that Ultra, but its not bad either I suppose... The consoles is really.. NOWHERE NEAR ..what.. a certain somebody *cough* Selnor claimed it to be... (Shocking huh? XD) Now I know its a beta and things DO change, but there's quite a Bad Company 2 feel to BC3 in my honest opinion. I don't see it changing much and the PC well.. I expected more aswell. Some are saying Ultra =/= Ultra and there are a handful of PC people raging over Dice dropping the ball making the game be Bad Company 3 basically (not restricted to graphics only obviously).

Im having ..somewhat fun I suppose. I'll probably pick it up (on PC if anything) but I don't know.. it's quite hard to get into. Its battlefield, you can't run around like.. quite many other games. But it's still a pain on the Metro map. I really hope Dice gives us another map, because if they expect us to help them with bugs/glitches, they really cant have us play that map. Jesus christ give us a big battlefield, CASPIAN BORDER PLEASE!

I know! It's annoying that we're playing a Battlefield game and the map that's available to all is one that's not a large open map like Battlefield maps usually are. I mean I do enjoy some infantry only, but at the same time the map feels like it's more enclosed.

Though I have to say after just having a round of 21/6 while on the attacking team and playing an assualt class and not hanging back, there are some awesome moments to be had. Especially since my play style is to try and save down allies. It's exciting to rush to somebody's aid, pick him up and both of us get away. Though to be fair, we lost because nobody was really pushing untill the end.