By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield 3 Beta - Impressions

NiKKoM said:
^^ Agreed the RPG spamming is getting ridiculous.. as attacker you almost don't stand a chance anymore..

also i 'm getting a lot of emails from EA thanking me for playing the battlefield Beta..... waay too much emails... >_<"

Sounds like they really want you to buy the game. xD lol

Around the Network

I know the Beta is month old code and mostly just meant to stress test the servers and stuff but this is underwhelming to the extreme. Currently playing the PC beta

First the much hyped graphics are all over the place, I am only running on high and I know they said that graphics would be better at launch but this game is all over the place. Some elements look great like the sky and sun lighting and some of the textures. But it's inconsistent you will see a great high resolution uniform texture and then sticking out like a sore thumb will be a low resolution watch but then some watches are detailed it's random. Trees look like crap for the most part when they are not in the sweet spot, up close the low res 2D branches and leaves look like crap to far away and they mostly disappear. Lighting is all over the place, fire sometimes looks good and other times has weird over saturation effect. And don't look straight down whatever you do. Ground texture looks barely as good Crysis 1's and you spend a lot of time looking at it. There is only one death animation when you die and after a few dozen deaths I was pretty sick of the outstretched hand falling limp. All in all the much hyped graphics look like Crysis 1 with crappier trees and better lighting and added destruction, tho I don't remember downed trees dissapearing so fast in crysis. If it wasn't for the scope of the levels and the quick load times I would call it an utter fail. I am leaving out the flickering textures, weird white splotches around one of the character model's eyes etc as they are most likely driver related.

Physics and animation are good when it's not glitched, tho seeing someone you just killed fly across the map is funny.

Gameplay is ok as long as there is at least a little teamwork otherwise it's camp or die and teamwork with randoms is rare. Guns feel ok and movement is generally good when it doesn't decide you can't jump over a shin high wall but you can't walk over it ether.

Sound design is top notch.

And it's glitchy as fk

But still manages to be fun occasionally, when the server isn't kicking me for no apparent reason anyway.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

They opened up Caspian Border again for the PC beta. While now you don't get as much of a cluster of players in an area like with Metro, the added vehicles and aircraft make for some fun moments.

Like controlling an AA turret while having an enemy jet flying straight at you and you have to try and shoot him down. I also had an enemy jet clip a building next to me and crash right next to me.

Lastly, I was in an AA turret and looking around. I saw allies get in our chopper and I looked away. As I was panning my view, the chopper flies into the building right in front of me and explodes.

IllegalPaladin said:
They opened up Caspian Border again for the PC beta. While now you don't get as much of a cluster of players in an area like with Metro, the added vehicles and aircraft make for some fun moments.

Like controlling an AA turret while having an enemy jet flying straight at you and you have to try and shoot him down. I also had an enemy jet clip a building next to me and crash right next to me.

Lastly, I was in an AA turret and looking around. I saw allies get in our chopper and I looked away. As I was panning my view, the chopper flies into the building right in front of me and explodes.

But this one is my favorite =D (below)

I am glad I didn't pre-order it.

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:

The heli's are a pain to fly. Jets are ok with a xbox controller but the heli's are just a pain... and their easy targets for FIM-92 Stinger. DICE said their going to alter the controls for the heli. (least i think they said that) I have seen quit a few people fliying both vehicles very well.

"Tell me why does it have to be so hard

to let go when it?s your final day

...When death is on it's way"