By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RAGE to have 8GB install for PS3, and 3 discs on 360.

Tim Willits, creative director of id Software, said in an interview (with Digital Foundry) that the PlayStation 3 version of its upcoming game Rage will require an 8 gigabyte game install, and the Xbox 360 version will utilize three discs.

Willits praised the hardware for PlayStation 3, saying, "What we were able to do is install all the textures to the highest level. What is nice about the PS3 platform is that it's just one platform. Everyone has one Blu-ray drive, one hard drive, it's all the same."

He also announced the versatility Rage will have with the three discs for the Xbox 360 version. "If you don't have the space available on your hard drive, don't stress. Install the first disc, the first chapter, the first half of the game, then when you're done, uninstall and install disc two."

Rage is scheduled for release on Oct. 4 for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.

http://www.psu.com/Rage-requires-8-GB-install-on-PS3,-multiple-discs-on-360--a013048-p0.php

That's a pretty hefty install for the PS3 version, but the game does look pretty damn sweet. Also, it's 3 discs for the 360? I wonder if you need to do any disc swapping to access previous content...

Around the Network

8?
Deary me.

So how big is the 360 install? sounds like it must be pretty large also if they want you to uninstall after each disk..
Sounds like the PS3 version will be less hassle on this one.

This is good in my books.

Every game should be played installed. Less load times. Less texture pop in.
I have yet to see any texture pop in while playing Gears 3 and I saw this brought up in 2 different reviews. Those dudes must not have installed it.

People with 360's Arcades should research how to make their own hard drives. For 50 bucks you can make your own 240 GB HD using a 5 dollar custom case off ebay and specific WD hard drive.

While sky is the limit for PS3 owners in terms of HD room... Do they make 2GB laptop hard drives yet? :)

You can go anywhere no matter in wich disk you are. It seems that there is a Multiplayer disk and 2 for the campaign, also there is no swapping if you want to go back.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-return-of-id-software

Around the Network
Nsanity said:

You can go anywhere no matter in wich disk you are. It seems that there is a Multiplayer disk and 2 for the campaign, also there is no swapping if you want to go back.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-return-of-id-software

Fantastic news! 

I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

3 Discs...?Thats sad next gen my ass ._.

axumblade said:
x_DMX_x said:

I generally don't think of disc capacity as a "next gen" feature...Then again, CGI pointed out it is a 21 GB game.

Yeah, considering games in the PS1 era came on multiple discs, it isn't anything new. What's new is the fact that Sony opted to use Blu-ray for this gen, which means it looks that much better to be able to fit the bigger games on one disc. If they didn't use it, we'd be seeing the same complaints as with the 360, with multiple discs. Game sizes aren't getting any smaller, so if it needs multiple discs, then I don't see the problem, as it isn't a problem getting up and swapping discs. The only problem would be if you needed to do it every single time you wanted to go back to an older area (didn't Star Ocean 4 on 360 have this problem; I remember some game on 360 did), which doesn't seem to be the case with Rage.

MasterVG71782 said:
axumblade said:
x_DMX_x said:

I generally don't think of disc capacity as a "next gen" feature...Then again, CGI pointed out it is a 21 GB game.

Yeah, considering games in the PS1 era came on multiple discs, it isn't anything new. What's new is the fact that Sony opted to use Blu-ray for this gen, which means it looks that much better to be able to fit the bigger games on one disc. If they didn't use it, we'd be seeing the same complaints as with the 360, with multiple discs. Game sizes aren't getting any smaller, so if it needs multiple discs, then I don't see the problem, as it isn't a problem getting up and swapping discs. The only problem would be if you needed to do it every single time you wanted to go back to an older area (didn't Star Ocean 4 on 360 have this problem; I remember some game on 360 did), which doesn't seem to be the case with Rage.

Now here the problem with multiple discs people say its no big deal but, they are completly wrong.What happens when you lose one of the discs?You cant play the game to its full extent.You would hvae to buy the full game again because im pretty sure they dont sell the discs seperately.This is why when a game comes with multiple discs 3+ I buy it on PS3 less of a hassle.

3 disks not a chance

at least one is for multiplayer though and no disk swapping for backtracking

game looks good but no more shooter types for me, il get it in jan sales

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...