By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is playstation MOVE being discontinued?

Mr Puggsly said:
Deadlikeme said:
Mr Puggsly said:
thismeintiel said:

It is.  I think the sale ends the 2nd of Oct.  So, the Move is definitely not being discontinued.  Here's my thread on the topic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134173&page=1

Although, I think it would be smart for Sony to at least lower the price of all Move accessories by ~$10-$15 permanently.  This would boost sales quite a bit and probably still make them a good amount of profit.

It would only boost sales slightly and temporarily. Price isn't the problem, people just don't want the Move.

The best games that use Move also use a joystick. The Move required games are mediocre. My guess is Sony will just let it fade into obscurity or maybe create a camera like Kinect that works with it.

Um what lol, it sold half as much as kinect with 1/10th the advertisement, and it's also the highest selling pheriphiral Sony has every released and is making them a profit. Also the best move games can also use a joystick yes, but the best kinect games (or rather only ones that work) you can't even make your character move in a direction and aren't very good. Also Sony has a camera like kinect, and it is part of move, there's the camera and the wand and the option nav controller, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. 

But whats the size of the userbase? People only need one Kinect so the Kinect userbase is 10 million plus. Which is a decent size audience and the reason Kinect gets support.

Now you say the Move sold half as many units. But we don't know the actual userbase size. I would presume many people bought multiple Move controllers because several games require two. There are also those who purchased maybe 3 or 4. So what can the userbase of Move actually be? 2 - 3 million?

Doesen't matter what you think about Kinect nor do I need an explanation of the Move. Ultimately, the masses chose Kinect over Move and it has done a significantly better job at selling games. Maybe Sony should have raised that marketing budget and put out better games that actually require the Move.

1. Move is getting more support then Kinect, Kinect is just getting more dedicated games because it can't work with a normal game. 

2. No game requires 2 wands, (several are significantly improved with 2) so again you don't know what you are talking about, and even if you are right about the userbase I really don't see your point, MS advertised Kinect more then Sony advertised move so more people got kinect on launch. Kinect sales have dropped significantly and I don't think they'll ever get anywhere near to what they were. 

3. Um the masses choose the wii if you want to play that game, and again Kinect advertised a hell of alot more and hasn't been selling much lately. As for the games you don't know that since so many move games are compatible with a controller, you can't possibly know how many people bought those games because of move so again you don't know what you are talking about. Why? They are selling well and will continue to sell probably long after kinect is dead and the move only games are better then the kinect games. 

Around the Network
Deadlikeme said:

1. Move is getting more support then Kinect, Kinect is just getting more dedicated games because it can't work with a normal game. 

2. No game requires 2 wands, (several are significantly improved with 2) so again you don't know what you are talking about, and even if you are right about the userbase I really don't see your point, MS advertised Kinect more then Sony advertised move so more people got kinect on launch. Kinect sales have dropped significantly and I don't think they'll ever get anywhere near to what they were. 

3. Um the masses choose the wii if you want to play that game, and again Kinect advertised a hell of alot more and hasn't been selling much lately. As for the games you don't know that since so many move games are compatible with a controller, you can't possibly know how many people bought those games because of move so again you don't know what you are talking about. Why? They are selling well and will continue to sell probably long after kinect is dead and the move only games are better then the kinect games. 

1. You're right, the Kinect doesn't work with normal games. Which was the point of the device to begin with. MS didn't want it using controls because they wanted developers to build new and original software for it. If the best reason to own the Move is to play normal games that work with a joystick... well people are going to stick with a joystick.

As far support goes. The Kinect has more games coming for it that both require and have added features for it. In the coming months you're going to be seeing several major titles that say "Better With Kinect."

2. My mistake of saying some games require two. I actually meant two required for the full experience. Maybe I just assumed you knew what I was talking about.

You don't see the point of the userbase? The point is a bigger userbase leads to more support because there is potential to sell more software. Coincidentally, Kinect sells A LOT more software than Move. So Kinect will keep getting games designed for it while much of the Move support will be limited to games that already play fine with a joystick. This unfortunately doesn't move much PS Move hardware.

For the record, CASUAL hardware/software sell best during the holidays. Hence, expect Kinect to sell millions more this coming holiday.

3. Well bringing Wii into this is just ridiculous. But for what its worth, Wii is part of the reason Move got ignored. Move seemed too similar to something that already existed.

I don't know how many people bought Move compatible games for the Move support. But there hasn't been a noticeable boost... if any boost. Killzone 3 has sold less than the predecessor in the same time frame. Resistance 3 is doing worse than its predecessor. Socom 4 was a flop. We can't say Heavy Rain and RE4 became hits thanks to added Move support. Throw in the poor sales of Move required games and its safe to say Move has had little impact.

Kinect didn't just sell because of advertising, it sold well because its unique technology that appealed greatly to casual audiences. Advertising is important but you give it too much credit. For example, no amount of advertising is going to make Killzone bigger than Halo. Nor will any amount of advertising make Forza bigger than Gran Turismo (MS would have did it if possible). Advertising only gets you so far, people actually have to like the product.

I'm not gonna argue which product is better as they both have their strengths. But its clear as day that people are much more intrigued with Kinect over Move.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Deadlikeme said:

1. You're right, the Kinect doesn't work with normal games. Which was the point of the device to begin with. MS didn't want it using controls because they wanted developers to build new and original software for it. If the best reason to own the Move is to play normal games that work with a joystick... well people are going to stick with a joystick.

As far support goes. The Kinect has more games coming for it that both require and have added features for it. In the coming months you're going to be seeing several major titles that say "Better With Kinect."

2. My mistake of saying some games require two. I actually meant two required for the full experience. Maybe I just assumed you knew what I was talking about.

You don't see the point of the userbase? The point is a bigger userbase leads to more support because there is potential to sell more software. Coincidentally, Kinect sells A LOT more software than Move. So Kinect will keep getting games designed for it while much of the Move support will be limited to games that already play fine with a joystick. This unfortunately doesn't move much PS Move hardware.

For the record, CASUAL hardware/software sell best during the holidays. Hence, expect Kinect to sell millions more this coming holiday.

3. Well bringing Wii into this is just ridiculous. But for what its worth, Wii is part of the reason Move got ignored. Move seemed too similar to something that already existed.

I don't know how many people bought Move compatible games for the Move support. But there hasn't been a noticeable boost... if any boost. Killzone 3 has sold less than the predecessor in the same time frame. Resistance 3 is doing worse than its predecessor. Socom 4 was a flop. We can't say Heavy Rain and RE4 became hits thanks to added Move support. Throw in the poor sales of Move required games and its safe to say Move has had little impact.

Kinect didn't just sell because of advertising, it sold well because its unique technology that appealed greatly to casual audiences. Advertising is important but you give it too much credit. For example, no amount of advertising is going to make Killzone bigger than Halo. Nor will any amount of advertising make Forza bigger than Gran Turismo (MS would have did it if possible). Advertising only gets you so far, people actually have to like the product.

I'm not gonna argue which product is better as they both have their strengths. But its clear as day that people are much more intrigued with Kinect over Move.

1. No actually the point was to make money off shovelware like the wii did. But even the wii can play real games. No kinect doesn't, Move has far more do some research. 

2. So you assumed I knew what you meant when you said something completely different? Even if I was a mind reader I  couldn't read someone's mind over the net and even if I could you would've stopped thinking about it when I read your post. I don't see your point not the point about userbase, read much?. Neither device is over a year old, and MS spent hundreds of millions advertising kinect, if that didn't get them a bit of a headstart nothing would but that's all it is a headstart. Again you have no idea how much software move sells since there are dozens of move compatible games that can be play ed without move. In other words you are just guessing. I expect kinect to selling 1/3 of what it did last holiday at best, people just don't want it now that they know it doesn't work. 

3. No saying the masses choose kinect is riddiculas and again move is getting more support then kinect how is that being ignored? 

Hard to notice a boost when it has move compatible with it from launch and you have no basis for comparison. 

Nope just hundreds of millions of advertising and lying about it's capabilities is why it sold. 

Nope Kinect just got more sales from advertising 10 times more.

Mr Puggsly said:
Deadlikeme said:

um no, not really, by that logic Motion+ should have twice as much games as Kinect or Move, it doesnt, its not even close. Sometimes having the bigger install base does not mean anything. As for software, you sure about that?? Because there are Kinect games flopping right and left. Child of Eden and that Nightmare game to name just two and im sure Gunstringer will flop

Deadlikeme said:

1. No actually the point was to make money off shovelware like the wii did. But even the wii can play real games. No kinect doesn't, Move has far more do some research. 

2. So you assumed I knew what you meant when you said something completely different? Even if I was a mind reader I  couldn't read someone's mind over the net and even if I could you would've stopped thinking about it when I read your post. I don't see your point not the point about userbase, read much?. Neither device is over a year old, and MS spent hundreds of millions advertising kinect, if that didn't get them a bit of a headstart nothing would but that's all it is a headstart. Again you have no idea how much software move sells since there are dozens of move compatible games that can be play ed without move. In other words you are just guessing. I expect kinect to selling 1/3 of what it did last holiday at best, people just don't want it now that they know it doesn't work. 

3. No saying the masses choose kinect is riddiculas and again move is getting more support then kinect how is that being ignored? 

Hard to notice a boost when it has move compatible with it from launch and you have no basis for comparison. 

Nope just hundreds of millions of advertising and lying about it's capabilities is why it sold. 

1. Whatever the goal was, it worked better than Sony's.

Anyhow, look at the upcoming Kinect games, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kinect_games

Over 40 games that are either designed for Kinect or have Kinect features. Move has less than 20 coming. Most of the for the Kinect actually require the Kinect as well which helps move the hardware.

2. You just clarified my point, we were clearly on the same page.

I don't know how much software Move is selling, but its obviously not selling a significant amount. Leave it to that.

Advertising a lone doesn't give you record breaking sales. People were genuinely intrigued by Kinect and it blew away expectations.

3. Refer to the link so you can see Kinect has more support. I don't consider games that have added support for Move better support either. That's not the kind of support that sells hardware.

I assure you no amount of advertising could make Move as successful as Kinect. Move is too similar to something else that's cheaper and has better motion games.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Nintari said:
Hopefully it's going to be phased out. This whole motion control thing is all but dead. The casual people who made it huge are long, long gone. In another few years the industry will be back in our hands, the hardcore gamers, and imo that's a GOOD thing.

LMAO!!! Wrong on every account, but you stay in your fantasy world where the "hard core" gamers are somehow elite and better than the "casual" gamers (who fund our little obsession in the real world.)

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

Mr Puggsly said:
Deadlikeme said:

1. Whatever the goal was, it worked better than Sony's.

Anyhow, look at the upcoming Kinect games, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kinect_games

Over 40 games that are either designed for Kinect or have Kinect features. Move has less than 20 coming. Most of the for the Kinect actually require the Kinect as well which helps move the hardware.

2. You just clarified my point, we were clearly on the same page.

I don't know how much software Move is selling, but its obviously not selling a significant amount. Leave it to that.

Advertising a lone doesn't give you record breaking sales. People were genuinely intrigued by Kinect and it blew away expectations.

3. Refer to the link so you can see Kinect has more support. I don't consider games that have added support for Move better support either. That's not the kind of support that sells hardware.

I assure you no amount of advertising could make Move as successful as Kinect. Move is too similar to something else that's cheaper and has better motion games.

1. Not if Kinect dies this year or next which it looks like it might. Also There are 60 games out for move right now http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/17/playstation-move-approaching-50-supported-games-more-to-come/ and only 40 out for kinect, just because Kinect has more annouced doesn't mean anything there's no telling how many more will pop up for move or how many of kinect will fail to launch. 

2. lol advertising is the only thing that makes record breaking sales and people were blown away by MSes lies and ads and disapointed when they actually got it and again you are just assuming Kinect is selling more software, Kinect software sales aren't exactly impressive so even if move software sales aren't jumping off the charts it could still outdo kinects. 

3. 60 move games to 40 Kinects games... Move has more support. Of course it sells hardware, if those games didn't have move support the move would sell alot less. You are just cherry picking which games to count, I'd also like to point out that all of those games aren't kinect only, they are just so dumbed down if you don't have kinect you'd never want to play them and if you do have kinect you are just trying to feel like you didn't waste your money. 

4. lol Kinect isn't all that successful after the launch, psmove could easily outsell it over a long period of time, and if move advertised as much as kinect it would of outsold it. I assure you of that. 

oniyide said:

um no, not really, by that logic Motion+ should have twice as much games as Kinect or Move, it doesnt, its not even close. Sometimes having the bigger install base does not mean anything. As for software, you sure about that?? Because there are Kinect games flopping right and left. Child of Eden and that Nightmare game to name just two and im sure Gunstringer will flop

Games flop left and right on any platform regardless if they use motion controls. There are no guarantees and you still have to make a game that grabs peoples attention. Child of Eden is niche, Rise of Nightmares was risky, and I'm waiting to see how Gunstringer does during the holidays. However, several Kinect titles have had awesome sales. Obviously this partly due to the userbase.

The Motion Plus is not really needed for most games. I mean the Wiimotes basic motion technology is fine for most games and genres. This is why the Motion Plus has received little support. A better argument though would be why isn't the Wii Balance Board getting more support. The simple answer for that is no demand unless Nintendo makes it.

Recently Completed

Deadlikeme said:

1. Not if Kinect dies this year or next which it looks like it might. Also There are 60 games out for move right now http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/17/playstation-move-approaching-50-supported-games-more-to-come/ and only 40 out for kinect, just because Kinect has more annouced doesn't mean anything there's no telling how many more will pop up for move or how many of kinect will fail to launch. 

2. lol advertising is the only thing that makes record breaking sales and people were blown away by MSes lies and ads and disapointed when they actually got it and again you are just assuming Kinect is selling more software, Kinect software sales aren't exactly impressive so even if move software sales aren't jumping off the charts it could still outdo kinects. 

3. 60 move games to 40 Kinects games... Move has more support. Of course it sells hardware, if those games didn't have move support the move would sell alot less. You are just cherry picking which games to count, I'd also like to point out that all of those games aren't kinect only, they are just so dumbed down if you don't have kinect you'd never want to play them and if you do have kinect you are just trying to feel like you didn't waste your money. 

4. lol Kinect isn't all that successful after the launch, psmove could easily outsell it over a long period of time, and if move advertised as much as kinect it would of outsold it. I assure you of that. 

We're just going in circles and I'm getting bored. Its funny, Kinect has had record breaking success and you're under the illusion its some sort of failure. How do you argue with logic like that?

Just wait for the holidays buddy. Kinect is gonna have awesome sales again and Move will be somewhere in obscurity.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Deadlikeme said:

We're just going in circles and I'm getting bored. Its funny, Kinect has had record breaking success and you're under the illusion its some sort of failure. How do you argue with logic like that?

Just wait for the holidays buddy. Kinect is gonna have awesome sales again and Move will be somewhere in obscurity.

lol record breaking advertising and sales not success. Preformance wise it is a failure, commericially I think it won't be much of a sucess if any when everything is said and done. Just a big waste of time down a dead end.