By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Share your stories about anxiety

Have you ever suffered from anxiety attacks?

Yes, currently going through it 6 40.00%

Nope 6 40.00%

Yes, and I beat it! 3 20.00%

Total:15

Hey guys!

It's been a lot of time since I last posted lol. Anyways, lately I've been stricken quite a lot by generalized anxiety attacks, on which the main physicial symptom is chest tightness. Its been almost 5 years since I first started having the attacks, and anyone that has been there, knows how crippling and self destructive they can be, as its very hard for the sufferer to engange in many kinds of activities! I for one, am severly affected when playing many kinds of videogames, reading or even attending classes. 

As so, I thought it would be nice to be able to share stories with other people, maybe even the ones that have overcome anxiety could give nice advices!

Peace

Around the Network

I've never had an anxiety attack, but when people are around me for the first time I can feel their anxiety due to my awesomeness.

I have never really understand anxiety attacks.

What exactly brings it on? It sounds bad to say the least.

From what I've investigated, the causes of anxiety vary between sexes, as men have a different approach for survival than women do . Focusing on males, they react towards stressful situations with a "fight or flight response", a very useful mechanism for surviving  on a hostile environment filled with sources of danger and possible death. 

That being said, anxiety comes from the male brain not recognizing properly what is a dangerous situation, and constantly ordering the body to release adrenaline, thus producing physicial symptoms such as chest tightness and shortness of breath, intense fear, muscle cramps, etc. 

It is very frustrating because of how much it can cripple, as you could geta sudden attack from doing almost any kind of activity. Even if you try to talk yourself into the irrationality of the whole situation, the symptoms persist, and may even aggravate. 

ffirebrand_cloud said:

From what I've investigated, the causes of anxiety vary between sexes, as men have a different approach for survival than women do . Focusing on males, they react towards stressful situations with a "fight or flight response", a very useful mechanism for surviving  on a hostile environment filled with sources of danger and possible death. 

That being said, anxiety comes from the male brain not recognizing properly what is a dangerous situation, and constantly ordering the body to release adrenaline, thus producing physicial symptoms such as chest tightness and shortness of breath, intense fear, muscle cramps, etc. 

It is very frustrating because of how much it can cripple, as you could geta sudden attack from doing almost any kind of activity. Even if you try to talk yourself into the irrationality of the whole situation, the symptoms persist, and may even aggravate. 

Ahh, that makes sense.

So if you play a thrilling game or something, that gets to you too?

I would hate that.

Around the Network

This sounds as if you have no control over it, almost like tourettes?

Nope never had an anxiety attack. Cant imagine one.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

brendude13 said:
ffirebrand_cloud said:

Ahh, that makes sense.

So if you play a thrilling game or something, that gets to you too?

I would hate that.

Not even that lol . In my case, If i Don't REALLY enjoy a game, I start getting anxiety. Even if it has some minor issue I don't like, I just have to stop playing it. Out of the 15 games I've bought this gen, I have only really played 3 or so. I know it sounds weird, it's just the brain confusing situations and emotions I guess.... 

Notwithstanding, I can live with that. I can just stop playing games i don't like, and anxiety goes away. From my expeirience, the way to get rid of it is to simply get away from the source of the anxiety. However, that becomes imposible when say, I get extremely anxious while being at university, reading school materials, or getting an assignment done. It really is that bothersome. 

blkfish92 said:

Yes, you don`t really have control over it. The only way of more or less eliminating it is by getting away of the source of anxiety. Regretfully, this is not always possible. 

ffirebrand_cloud said:
blkfish92 said:

Yes, you don`t really have control over it. The only way of more or less eliminating it is by getting away of the source of anxiety. Regretfully, this is not always possible. 

Man that sounds horrible, isn't there anyway to get rid of it though? Maybe meditate?