By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII Has Shipped 6.2 Million Worldwide

Sorry, all I read was "The biggest turd to have ever got out of SE Has Shipped 6.2 Million Worldwide"

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:

I do agree with what Runa said, people need to be more honest and people in this day and age really aren't that bright. But whatever, that's not my point.

I still don't agree with what he is doing with FFXIII though, he isn't coming off as being honest yet blunt, he is coming off as obsessive and rude. As for his "opinion", I am an understanding person and can accept people's opinions, but when I saw his individual ratings (2/10 for difficulty, 1/10 for innovation and 3/10 for world specifically) he threw every ounce of his credibility out the window, the guy is deluded. I said he may as well start arguing the point that the sky is green.

yep, I'm totally deluded, I don't know anything about game review in spite of the fact that I have reviewed hundreds of games and have been doing it for the better part of two decades.  One thing I've learned is that as long as you give a game a good review, everyone agrees with you and heap praise upon your feet; however, if you give a game a bad review, you're a horrible, horrible person with an agenda.  You're deluded, you're ignorant, and you're abrasive for defending your review...

This happened to both Final Fantasy XIII and Duke Nukem Forever. This is precisely what I'm talking about. it's annoying as hell. 

The joys of writing objective reviews, no?

Evidently, but I think it's more a matter of the "Internet Dickhole syndrome by means of anonymous posting".  you know, that actual scientific theory that says that the level of assholery is directly related to the level anonyminity. (I think that's how you spell it.)  

if I was sitting in a room with Brendude, I guarantee he not only wouldn't think I'm a total ignorant ass, but I bet he'd even give me some credit for my opinions. The thing is, I usually only put down the bare minimum of my thoughts or opinions because I can't be bothered explaining every nuance of every point I have just to cover all the bases, which apparently is a requirement on the internet.  Without explaining away every little bit, you get accused of ignorance...but I'd rather be accused of that than the bullshit I'd be subject to if I actually wrote out my full explanation.  I mean, if I wrote an essay explaining why FFXIII sucks balls, chronicling every last detail of my pitiful experience and compiling review scores and citations to back of my claims, and the internet hate machine would find some flaw in my grammar and nitpick the hell out of it. 

Ad Hominem runs rampant on the internet, so I avoid it as often as I can. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

A203D said:
outlawauron said:
A203D said:
Acevil said:
Xen said:
VXIII said:

Great numbers, but still disappointing as XIII is the first final fantasy this gen, the first has sold the best in the last two gens, wonder if XIII-2 will manage to sell 5M LT.

Not a chance in hell.

Hmm, how about 4 million?

I originally thought 2 mil.

Mirson i really dont think FF13 is going to sell another 2 mil copies. its been in the bargain bin for a year now. and that hasnt really helped the sales.

FF10-2 sold about half of what FF10 sold. and FF10 was a popular entry to the series. i dont think FF13-2 will sell half of FF13, since it is a lot less popular than FF10.

I'd be willing to take a bet on that XIII-2 prediction (along with your horribly bad sales recollection on the sales FFX/X-2).

I think FF10-2 was at about 4.5 mil and FF10 was at about 8 mil. so i would say thats about half. maybe FF10-2 did a bit more than half, dont remember. i'll check it in a min.

what did you have in mind?

X-2 did 65% of what X did. While it's only a 15% difference, that's roughly one million copies sold.

As far as a bet, we could do a signature/avatar bet (for a designated time period), but let us continue this conversation via walls. Tell me what exactly you think the maximum threshold FF XIII-2 will sell. (You're currently set it at 4 million)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Runa216 said:

Well, the characters were flat, and the story was POORLY told, and I totally agree:  the lore they put into this world is phenomenal...but you shouldn't have to go through the sea of bullshit to get to it.  You actually had to read an in-game novel (practically) to hear any of that, and almost none of it was incorporated into the story.  I did a lot of reading about it online and that's one of the only reasons I'm actually curious to play XIII-2. 

I knew someone would mention difficulty.  I found the game disgustingly hard, but also remarkably simple.  To me it was like EVERY FPS EVAR...in that it didn't require skill, just steadfast determination and a touch of luck.  Anyone could beat the game and beat all the enemies, just keep trying till it works.  To me the difficulty curve was broken and unfair, and entirely unrewarding.  the grade isn't a matter of how difficult it is, but how well done it is.  the difficulty in this game was bullshit.  too much reliance on luck and repeat attempts. 

there was absolutely no 'innovation' in the battle system.  It was basically a simplified, dumbed down version of 12's combat system, but sped up and with like 1/10th of the customization options. You had absolutely no control over your allies and blah blah blah.... The reason I gave this such a bad score is because as far as I was concerned, it was just a dumbed down, simpler version of previous games.  No innovation, nothing new added.  Yeah, it was faster paced and more action packed, but at the cost of customization. 

what replay value is there?  you play through the game, you kill all the marks...there's no reward for playing it a different way, there's no alternate ways to do things, few hidden items you may not have gotten.  Oblivion has good replay value because you can play it COMPLETELY different the second time.  same with games like Red Dead Redemption (fame and alignment meter) and inFamous (Hero/infamous meter), THAT has replay value.  this game was so restrictive and had so little side content/alternate gameplay styles that it objectively has no replay value.  If you wanna play it again, I'm certainly not one to tell you no, but theres no incentive in game to do it. 

narrow hallways are HORRIBLE level designs.  I know it's been said before (and for the record, I prefer linearity...storyline wise), but going in a straight line for 95% of the game is not good design.  in FFX, you could explore side caves and hidden areas, the only remotely decent area in the game was Gran Pulse, which was just a series of different hallways.  

I do not currently have plans to review the sequel, but I'm sure if I wanted to I could, since nobody on the team (As far as I know) has any interest in it.  That, and while we definitely encourage each reviewer to score it according to their own opinions, we all agree that the 9.0 FFXIII got is an absolute travesty, and we'd all change it if we could.  

I gave this game a 2.1, but I think in the interest of objectivity, if I was scoring it for the site, I'd have given it a 4.0-4.7 (no idea why I chose that range).  It's not broken, just very, VERY poorly made in my opinion. 

Also, the only reason it didn't get maxed out technical visual fidelity score was because Squeenix had no care for the SDTV users out there, unless you were on an HDTV you couldn't see shit.  That said, fuck the graphics were gorgeous once I saw them on an HDTV! 

Steadfast determination is fundamental for honing skill; maybe you're lacking.

Once it hits $30 or less used, then I will bite and buy it.

Around the Network

Looks like it's overtracked.

Killiana1a said:
Once it hits $30 or less used, then I will bite and buy it.

Uhhh... it's actually $19.95. New.

reviniente said:

I'm quite good at both FPS games and RPG's, but never before have I played a game that relied so heavily on luck and precognition.  some bosses I'd fight a dozen times and keep dying, but my friend (who was doing the exact same pattern as I was, with lower levels and the same paradigms) would beat it first try.  

it's the same way with Halo and Call of Duty, sometimes you'll go through an entire level killing enemies like a boss, another time you'll do the exact same thing and die a dozen times.  it's all a matter of luck.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
reviniente said:

I'm quite good at both FPS games and RPG's, but never before have I played a game that relied so heavily on luck and precognition.  some bosses I'd fight a dozen times and keep dying, but my friend (who was doing the exact same pattern as I was, with lower levels and the same paradigms) would beat it first try.  

it's the same way with Halo and Call of Duty, sometimes you'll go through an entire level killing enemies like a boss, another time you'll do the exact same thing and die a dozen times.  it's all a matter of luck.  

I prefer to call them quick reflexes (which get better with practice), concentration and focus. Those three can outdo luck on any day.

reviniente said:

I prefer to call them quick reflexes (which get better with practice), concentration and focus. Those three can outdo luck on any day.

suuuuure...whatever you say.  

but seriously, I may not have gone back as far as stuff like Pac-Man in the arcades, but I've been a pretty serious gamer since the 80's, I know all about reflexes and skill.  Just because your experience is/was different from mine doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.  Seriously, that's so annoying "Oh, he's complaining about the difficulty, he must suck!".   No, I'm complaining about the difficulty because there is a fundamental flaw in the balance and curve of it.  just because people like you have become so accustomed to cheap kills and bullshit difficulty curves doesn't mean I'll stand by and take it like a bitch.  

This is precisely why stuff like Devil May Cry and Demon's Souls and Donkey kong Country returns are praised for their difficulty where stuff like Call of Duty, Halo, and various other popular games are usually chastised for it.  REAL Gamers know what a real challenge is, as opposed to cheapness or death by poor design. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX